WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 08:52 AM

difficulties w/using colored pencils

I recently started sketching again and thought it would be fun to try some different media. I bought Faber-Castell 24 colored pencils, CarbOthello chalk pastel colored pencils, and some prismacolor nupastel color sticks. I also bought a few books to help me get started.

I thought my sketching was coming along, although I have a lot of practice to do before I am back to what I had been doing years ago. Well- I was so disappointed with the colored pencils! It looked like I was in kindergarten! I tried following the books directions. How it told me to layer the colors on and have areas darker to create the depth and feeling of a real flower. It looked absolutely nothing like the flower in the book. It is actually in the trash.

I am not certain what I am doing wrong or how to proceed next...can anyone give me some pointers on what to try and what I might be doing wrong? It is so much more difficult than the graphite pencils I have been using.

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Northern New England

Hails from United States
Re: difficulties w/using colored pencils

Hi TessaLynn,

I'm new to these things too, though I have played with colored pencils for many years...you said your picture is in the trash now. How about resurrecting it and putting a photo here, so we have a reference point?

Others will know more about it than I so might not need that, but it might be of value to folk like me, who want to learn also...just a thought.

Blessings!
As I will never take this exact path again may I not leave a kind word unspoken or a kind deed undone. May my life count for good, may the world be better for my having been in it when the final reckoning is accomplished. Blessings, LynneDe
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Im new to cp and getting back into drawing after a 30 year hiatus. I feel pretty wobbly too!
A few things that have helped me
really study value. Convert a few photos to black and white and compare them agaimst the color originals. Note how color is less important than value!

watch colored pencil demos on youtube.

Buy a good book on color. pay attention to warm and cool color tones and how they affect value.

Step back from your work often. At first try working for just 10 minutes at a time. Its very easy to get lost in detail and lose perspective of how that nit picky bit fits into the whole.

Ok being new to all of this my "advice" is amature. But these things helped me tremendously.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Hmm, I am a bit confused about what pencils you actually used in your drawing, which Faber Castel pencils did you get? Polychromos? The other items you mention Nupastel and CarbOthello chalk pastel aren't considered colored pencils, both are forms of pastel/chalk and should work with each other, but as I recall both are rather hard so blending isn't going to be easy certainly not as easy as true colored pencils blend.

Colored pencils used in this forum are usually either wax or oil based, Faber Castel Polychromos are oil based, Prismacolor Premier are wax based, Derwent - Artist, Colorsoft and Studio are all wax based. Caran d'Ache makes both an oil based set and a wax based set of pencils, both are fairly expensive but very good pencils. Then there are Koh-i-nor Progresso woodless and Lyra pencils which I believe are both oil based. Oil based and wax based pencils can be combined in one work, but not with pastel/chalk pencils.

The other thing you didn't mention is paper, paper is critical to layering with colored pencils, you need a paper with some tooth to it if you want to layer.
Some like Hot Press Watercolor, I like Stonehenge, and others prefer pastel mat or other surfaces.

I am guessing that the basis of your problems is your media, you thought you purchased one type of pencil and instead got something else entirely. The pencil market is a bit confusing as added to the mix are the water soluble pencils that are a solid form of watercolor paint, they can only be used with wax and oil based pencils in a limited manner, they certainly won't layer on top though they can be used underneath if used then activated with water and allowed to dry then they can create a base for additional pencil work. It doesn't help that the art stores tend to put all the pencil types together as if they all worked together or are the same media, they aren't and they don't.

To further add to the confusion Derwent makes inktense pencils, (solid ink, again not a true colored pencil) and soluble graphite pencils. Both of the last can be very fun to use but again not on top of oil or wax based pencils. Hope this information has clarified the pencil market for you and helped to make you feel a bit less inept.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 07:01 PM

Yes, I bought some different type of products to try.The Faber-Castell polychromos are what I was trying to use. I think they are oil based. I was just using regular drawing paper so perhaps that is a huge problem right there. I did not know that you needed special paper!!! I also got a set of 24 and am disappointed in the selection of colors. I wanted purples for an Iris and the only close thing were reds and blues. I tried to watch the videos on this site and they will not work for me so I am uncertain if there is something special to do.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2015, 07:08 PM

Since I am just beginning, is there some paper I can try that is not very expensive but will work with the pencils? I need something I can experiment with. Thanks!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

TessaLynn

Paper is such a personal choice, and what works for one may not work well for another, I am not trying to duck your question, just explain that what I suggest may still not be to your liking.

Yes Polychromos are oil based, and can be purchased open stock from many on-line Art Stores, Dick Blicks or Jerrys Artarama have good prices, you can get paper from them also.

Papers, Stonehenge is a moderate priced 100% cotton paper, it will take a lot of layers - actually some don't like it for that reason, Canson makes Mi-Teintes for pastel and the smoother side of the paper can be used for colored pencil, some like Bristol Board Vellum or Smooth, though neither paper will take a lot of layers, Vellum has more tooth than Smooth. Hot Press Watercolor paper is wonderful stuff but not cheap, if you can find a sale I would suggest picking up a small pad to play with, just to see how you like it.

Mi-Teintes comes in colors, but be aware that some are prone to fading, like the blues.

Bee Paper makes Super Deluxe sketch books, with a textured surface and some tooth, I like it for graphite but don't recall ever trying colored pencils on it, it might be something you could try.

To layer colored pencil the pencil has to be applied with a very light hand, which is one reason why colored pencil works can take so long to do, if you use too much force you flatten the tooth and then can't add more layers. I like to use a sort of circular motion when laying down the pencil, and mostly use the side of the pencil rather than the tip, I will use the tip for detail work, others use the tips which they like to keep really sharp. But there are plenty of suggestions here on how to apply colored pencils, check the library for tutorials. At least with the Poly's you don't have to worry about wax bloom.

I can't watch videos either but I believe there are threads that show step by step work using photographs that are accessible. Also check your local library they may have books on using colored pencils, though many books used Prismacolor pencils in their tutorials so the colors won't match your Poly's, that said I think the Poly's are a much better quality pencil so you didn't buy the wrong ones.

Also like all things art using colored pencils requires some practice, relax, enjoy, have fun.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 PM

Thank you. Guess I will buy some extra pencils and try out some different papers. I also watch some you tube videos and I see how people blend using solvents and how by doing so it looks like the pictures in my book. No wonder nothing I did was working properly! At least it is good to hear I have the correct pencils....just not enough of them!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2015, 05:33 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum, TessaLynn! You are getting some very good advice. Here is my list of advice for beginners. Some have already been covered.

1. Good pencils. Sounds like you have that covered.
2. Decent paper. (As you've been advised.) Experiment with different papers. Some like smoother surfaces, some like surfaces with more tooth. Check the CP library for more information on various papers and reasons people like/dislike them. Sketch paper will not give you the results you want. Even basic drawing paper may be frustrating for you. They just don't take enough layers.
3. Needle sharp points. Some people swear by dull points, and there are times when a dull point will work better for you. But when you're starting out, needle sharp points will make it easier for you to control your color.
4. Light pressure and light layers. Use a super light touch for the very early layers. As you build up layers, your pressure may increase as the colors begin to blend together.
5. Start simple. Practice with simple images, objects, even just color
swatches.
6. Patience, patience, patience.

This thread is excellent at illustrating the process of layering and blending to build new colors. Take some time to read through it, and work along with it.

Save
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 AM

How do you burnish by layering or using a blending pencil?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Daria, you use a duller point and heavier pressure for each, after having several layers already. I do it on the highlights of my animal fur. It depends on the color of the fur, for a brown dog, I usually use a cream, for a black dog, sky blue or rose (some black fur has a red tone).

I use white to burnish white highlights. I only use pure white at the end for that purpose.

With a blending pencil, you just go over it.

You MUST have several layers first.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2015, 10:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I belong to the flat tip club. I lay in all my basic colors first with a flat tip and tweak and detail from there.

I dislike videos, I prefer something written where I can go more at my own pace, trying something rather than watching. Honestly, I get nothing from videos, maybe it's just me???

If you are trying to draw a purple flower, then really, get some purple pencils. You absolutely can combine reds and blues to get purple, but you have to have the right reds and the right blues, otherwise you create mud. You'll breeze along with a selection of colors in the shade you're trying to draw.

Don't fight your materials.

I use Mi Teintes, it is not expensive. I buy sheets and rip them up to size. I rarely let the paper show, but I like to start with color so that I can see what I'm doing when I lay in my lights. I draw much like I paint.

I dislike blending with solvents. I dislike how it changes the "feel" of the paper, how it dulls it, it's unhealthy, and I am not convinced that it doesn't reduce the integrity of the paper.

Since I paint in oils, I get all the solvents I can stand with them. When I get my colored pencil commissions, it's fun for me to use portable, healthy things that I can do in my living room rather than restricting to my studio because of fumes.

But that's me!

Good luck! I still love colored pencil over every other media I use, it's so flexible, there's not any unbreakable rules you have to use (like fat over lean in oils).
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Could you please explain how not to get mud when applying layers of red and blue to get purple, for example, etc.?You say that you need to have right reds and right blues. How can you know that your reds and blues are right? Do prismacolor pencils have right colors for any color combination?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

My favorite combo for mixing purple is magenta and blue. It can give a nice bright purple. Experiment!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2015, 11:36 AM

I bought a variety of colored pencil sets and separated out all the non-lightfast pencils to give away. There were nine different purples and three pinks in that group. My friend's little daughter was thrilled. Now I'm stuck trying to blend up the shades of purple I keep needing.