WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom
pricing paintings

I was shocked to see the price being asked for this painting, even if it is a "mini" painting:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2108807..._home_active_8

This is a talented and prolific artist, and perhaps these little pics are meant to whet people's appetites for bigger, more expensive pieces...........BUT oh dear, it really does upset me to see artists selling their originals for what I believe should be "print" prices.

To sell a print for a few dollars is OK, because there is the possibility of selling multiples....but to sell an original, no matter how tiny, for so little, says to a buyer "here is a little pic which didn't take me long to paint, it is pretty unimportant to me, so I will sell it for a song". So - Why should the buyer feel it has any value? Why send such a message?

It takes YEARS for an artist to achieve a sufficient level of excellence to be able to sell their works. (and to be accepted as a member of an esteemed art society) Selling original works for so little, in my opinion devalues all the years of hard work and dedication. Every good image is the product of blood, sweat and tears and this effort - together with the artist's imagination and creativity - should not be devalued in any way.

I have paid more for a cake in a supermarket. Even if this image is the size of a miniature, surely it is worth more than a cake????
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast
Salmon Arm, BC Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: pricing paintings

I agree Jackie.

Unfortunately so many inexperienced artists struggle with pricing not understanding that asking too little for a painting is perhaps even worse than asking too much.

And indeed I am sure this artist would tell you that it only took her "a few minutes" to create this work - to which you and I would both answer "no, it took you decades."

Education is the only solution. Whenever I see someone has priced a work too low I try to explain to them that they are undervaluing their work, their story and their art. Its tricky because you dont want to come off as preachy but 99% of the time you can get through to your new friend and help them along the journey (the way someone - the great Robert Genn - did to me many years ago)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Immortalized

Odd that you posted this today because I was thinking this morning of doing some small 4" x 6" paintings that could be framed passe partout in plein air frames for about $15 each and putting them in a local antique/swapmeet emporium that is located at a freeway off ramp, hoping to sell them for about $25 each. Another artist who sells there says the smaller, less expensive works sell best. Now, I'm certainly not a recognized artist like Karen, and probably won't sell much (maybe should ask only the price of the frame!), but I understand the desire to simply move some art. What good is it piling up in boxes?

Yes, original art by recognized artists is certainly worth much more, but, to paraphrase a quote by a novelist whose name I forget, who was talking about the dismal sale of his books, "...that money could be spent for a beer." Honestly, I think, in these hard times, the money is more likely to be spent on food and nappies (or diapers, to use the CORRECT word).

I am not taking issue with you, Jackie, just lamenting along with you, really. Even if one can afford original art, the art world seems so separated from most folks' lives. I think the majority think of Art (with a capital A) as being in some rarified zone they don't inhabit. For example, we have an art opening the first Friday of every month at our new, fancy municipal exercise gym (which is complete with all the expensive work-out equipment you could imagine and an indoor swimming pool). Memberships there are pricey, but the place is full of, I imagine, middle- to upper-class people who are buying and furnishing homes. Yet those very people who see our art on the walls for a month as they walk through the halls do not attend the art openings, and there are very few sales at the openings--which are mainly attended by artists. We have many very accomplished artists in this area who present professional work, but very few buyers.

So what's an artist to do? I can only console myself with the thought that, just because I choose (and now have the luxury, in retirement) to spend my time putting colorful marks on paper, that doesn't obligate anyone to spend their hard-earned money on it! My poor daughter will have to have one huge bonfire of my work when I go!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States

How an artist prices their work is a very personal choice. Some do it as a side source of income, or to pay for more supplies and practice, and others try and make a career out of it. As long as she's happy with the price she's getting, that's all that really matters. But, that's just my perspective, everyone obviously has a different, equally as valuable opinion on the topic.

“Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
― Lao Tzu
http://sarahchappell.daportfolio.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

It's actually quite common to price small pieces at this price point. It's a way of getting your name out there. The buyer is a getting an original piece at an affordable price. They also remeber who they got it from when they are redy to step up to a bigger piece. A lot of Gallery's ask Artists to do small for this reason.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Plains of Texas

Hails from United States

This isn't an uncommon thought in the art world - and also not in the photography world (of which I'm much more familiar!) Pricing strategies are tough...seems you sacrifice either way you go (either not selling cause your price is too high or devaluing your work by being too low). As a full-time pro photographer, it took several years for me to develop my brand and then also market my services to the right type of client who *wanted* to pay more for experience and professionalism. Many new photographers price either way too low OR (because they've read so many threads online about how NOT to devalue!) they are WAY too high for an area. You have to find your niche. I always try to ask myself when pricing - "what would I pay for this?" I'm pretty frugal but I also like and value nice things. I am new to the business of art and have recently sold several small paintings. It was hard for me (and still is!) to price these as I don't feel I have enough experience to be high but also don't want to give away something I worked so hard on! At my first recent show, I priced according to how a new friend (And PSA Amy Winton) suggested. Paintings, art, photography...they are worth what someone will pay for them! So I marked my work higher than I normally would have and ended up selling several pieces! I love Karen's work and follow her blog daily....what seems to work for her is moving the paintings she's creating on a daily basis. Etsy is also an entirely different online experience. She has sold over 1500 paintings (and tutorials) on this site! That's a ton! Seems like that amount would buy a LOT of pastels.
My blog: http://www.bethanyfieldsblog.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

Hi Jackie,

I have not been on wet canvas in quite but wanted to comment on your post. I agree $15 is extremely low especially for an established artist. I do understand the reason for selling less expensive work but $15 even for an unknown artist is way low.
I frequently paint that small because I enter miniature shows but I also do small paintings with not much time invested to sell at outdoor festivals. The purpose of the small works is to offer more affordable work to those who love art but do not usually have the means to purchase an original piece. They are not nearly as detailed as the ones that go into the mini shows. I will usually frame the ones that turn out exceptionally well but those that are still nice but don't really speak to me or have been around quite awhile get put in a mat(less then $2) and a clear bag. They go in a print rack and sell for about $30-$35. The customer is thrilled with the painting and I'm glad it found a happy home. Sometimes those little pieces help pay the expenses for the festival if sales are slow. I do not put all of them out for sale, the bad ones that I don't want my name associated with go in the trash.

www.helendobbins.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2015, 05:24 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Interesting responses, thanks.

Perhaps she has it right. I just hate it when artists are undervalued. I am infuriated every time I receive a request from a publisher to send them work for free, to put into their books. And right now I am irritated by a gallery which has sold my work...and has told me that I have to wait three months to be paid, when the fact is that they get their stock on a sale or return basis ...ie for nothing...when every other retail "shop" has to buy their stock. I am aware they have running expenses...but they are no different to the running expenses every shopkeeper has. I just do feel that we artists are so often taken advantage of, and if we sell our work for a song, we are perpetuating the idea that we are able to "knock out" fast, cheap work.

I also find that a small image often takes me almost as long to produce as a big one! I just make bigger marks!

Maybe I am the one out of touch with the real world. Ah well...I am getting on a bit.....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Is it possible that these 'mini's' are actually just pieces of larger works that were not successful? I have several I've done that I likes one section of, but the rest wasn't my best work. I've thought about cropping it off to a much smaller image.

It makes sense that selling sections of a larger work could supplement the income of a starting artist to pay for supplies, or help increase the popularity /of the medium in those who are just dabbling into collecting art. There have been several instances over my life where I had to walk away from an artist's work because I could not afford even their most inexpensive piece at that time.

I have watched Karen's videos several times, and it surprised me that her works were selling for that price on Etsy when I saw them weeks ago. However, as someone just returning to art, I could see that keeping the income flowing regularly would be very beneficial. I figured it was a new marketing tool that artists were using since I was last involved.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Vermont

Hails from United States

While I agree absolutely that it's important that artists price don't undervalue their work, I wonder if these minis are a bit outside the "normal" pricing for Karen's art. (I don't know, I haven't looked) But they could be part of an overall strategy to get her work more widely known and to offer some original art to people who otherwise wouldn't or couldn't buy original art. They could be an effective form of advertising for her as well as helping to pay some bills. Perhaps by selling these tiny works at a low price she's tapping into a market that wouldn't otherwise be reached at all.

I have an 3-D artist friend who holds frequent open studios and always has some very small, inexpensive pieces for sale. A kind of sample of her work. They don't compete with her larger more complex work - people who are willing to buy a larger piece don't say, "'l'll just have this small sample instead." In fact people who buy larger works often end up buying a few of these small items as well for gifts I think she sees her "minis" both as a kind of advertising and as a way to help make the open studio, itself a form of advertising, profitable.

My background is in finance and I'm very interested as an observer how various artists, the vast majority who can't rely on gallery sales to make a reasonable living, cobble together all sorts of ways in order to work full time as an artist. I admire those who find ways to do that. Like Karen who has leveraged her obvious artistic and educational talents to sell her excellent demonstrations on Etsy. I have found these incredibly useful and love that I can benefit from her teaching even though I live far away. So I hope they're a win/win for us both.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Newport Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Interesting topic. I am a fan of Karen's work and visit her site several times a week. She also sells paintings on dailypaintworks.com. She typically prices her 11x14's around $150 and I always thought that was low given the quality of her work and compared to the prices off other works there. I wondered if it was because pastel brings in lower prices than oil paintings. But then again probably at least 80% of the pieces sold on that site are oil and she is unique in offering pastel.

There are some artists on dailypaintworks that sell for a lot less than Karen. Maybe they are new and just getting started. One can only guess at the reasoning.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
North East Texas

Hails from United States

Just click on her name at the top of the etsy page in the first post and you get this:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarenMargu...hopheader-name

The prices are much higher than the 15 dollar 2.5 x 3.5 inchers listed on the first link. This 18 x 24, for example is going for $500.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1883143...home_active_23
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Alberta

Hails from Canada

Pricing has to be the hardest thing to do for me as I am just starting. Finding the happy medium is so difficult so I appreciate everyone that took the time to answer this thread. There does not seem to be a general formula and I find prices are all over the place. Some people are just happy to move the artwork whether they make a profit or not. Personally for me if I don't make a profit, what is the point of selling my work. I definitely need to do some more research on the pricing.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

Yes this is an interesting topic.

I have sometimes been thinking of different working categories that get
rather good paid. Why should not artists get paid also?
In the beginning stage of course one maybee has low self asteem and begin
too low but after some time, why not get normal paid. By normal I mean when comparing with others in the same area, if its possible.

Jackie, I understand why you feel irritated because you have been dealing
with people that want it for free, and during the years you have probably
been dealing with different things. Regarding the gallery, is it not possible
to put the paying time, into the contract you write with the gallery before
hanging your art?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2015, 03:39 PM

Hails from United States

I was really excited yesterday when my first painting was accepted for sale in a gallery, but that excitement turned to disappointment when the gallery owner wanted to price it so low that, after deducting the cost for framing and their commission, I would have gotten NOTHING!! He finally agreed to put MY asking price on it even though he tought it was too high, and I agreed to accept less if someone was interested in buying it. I know I don't have a lot experience but I put a lot of time into the paintings I do, and I think they are acceptable so I would like to get some compensation. Otherwise, I'll be happy to just hang them on my walls.

BTW, I looked at the prices of the some of the art in that gallery and it seemed a lot of them were underpriced. My husband thinks he underprices them to sell them quickly and get his commission. Maybe he's right.

I wonder if I should have prints made of the paintings I think turn out well and try to sell those instead of the originals. Any thoughts on that? Also, where would one go to have nice prints made?

I would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.