WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2015, 11:59 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
The Goalpost February 2015

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The Goalpost February 2015

Hi Deidre, and thanks for getting us started.
I got nothing done artwise last month as SWMBO took whatever time I had to spare. I did take a flugel horn and a French horn to the shop in Bexhill and I hope they can be sold there. I also need to take my bows into the archery shop in Battle and trade them in for a new model compound bow that will be easier on my shouilder. The physiotherapist has said that my shoulder appears ok now.
This month I really should finish the pastel box and load my pastels into it. Perhaps I'll just make that the goal this month and cross fingers that I can do it. I hope the weather warms up a little, we had the first flurry of snow yesterday - but it didn't stick.

I do have another taxi job of SWMBO down to Ringmer this month. If we get the timing right I can make it there and back in one day.
I also have another JFD watercolour w/shop on Saturday 14th of the month.

Jim

Last edited by Mij : 02-01-2015 at 04:09 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 AM

In my previous post that should have been RINGWOOD not Ringmer as the latter is only a few miles south of me .
Jim
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Deirdre! I should have posted it yesterday when I first saw the Spotlight, I plead "brainless on account of cold + chronic fatigue." End of the day isn't always a time I'm real functional. Purring and grateful you always step up if I miss it. This really helps so much.

Jim, wow sounds like you have a big goal for this month! You've been planning and working on that pastel box for so long, I hope you can do it! Fingers crossed for you. I can't wait to see your photos of progress and the finished box brimming with beautiful pastels. Plus any art you do along the way counts as extras. Yay for your watercolour warkshop!

My goals for February, The Short Month...

1. Manage not to tap my savings. I put $50 into savings to have a somewhat larger supply budget later on. I bought Johannes Vloothuis's ebook Landscape Painting Essentials, which is wonderful even if I can't put it on my Kindle. Then I need to buy some top loaders and soft sleeves for ATCs for the Animals ATC exchange plus pay for lots of overseas postage. I'm estimating $25 for sending out all of them. Going to send my home care worker to the post office when they're all done to have them do the weighing and stamping, just address all the envelopes and give him the money. They'll all weigh the same but that's a lot of different countries to calculate and put the right stamps on - better to do it all at once.

2. Get prepared for the Animals ATC Exchange as mentioned above. Start on the cards. Maybe do all the cards too but that'd be a plus - having everything in hand to send them including cash for the postage is an actual goal. One that'll make doing all the art a lot easier. Some may be in pastel pencils and wind up in Pastel Studio.

3. Finish my 3 in 5 Challenge on Facebook. This is actually sort of an artists' chain letter where you post three of your paintings every day and tag someone else. I took it the hard way to mean "do three sketches every day for five days instead of one" so if my paintings start looking Small and Simple for the next three days, that's why - I"m trying to do more than one in a day! Then again as usual, two inch long gesture sketches of my cat count. Yesterday's were all on the same page in my big cheap sketchbook.

4. Continue Daily Art. With a slight push toward extras by days that I sketch more than once. It seems a bit silly to have gotten to this point and have so many days that I did only one sketch, when I might have gotten in several cat gestures. Extras whenever I get in more than one.

5. At least one Spotlight painting of course! I love this month's references and somehow the Color Spotlights always seem to result in spectacular paintings!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

jim...Good Luck with getting the pastel box finished this month! I know it's been a long hard journey, but maybe Feb. is THE month to get it done!
Rob...I'm always in awe of you and what you get done in a month...Feb is no exception...rooting for you to complete it all.

I've done a couple of sketches, getting ready to do the Spotlight. I did finish the landscape from last month, but only at the last minute, and didn't try to post it.
I'm still having trouble cropping and sending. I miss my old Photosmart program. It's the only one that worked for me...

Anyway, this month I WILL finish a Spotlight and try to upload it.
I WILL do some sketching...from Life and otherwise...
I WILL, I WILL, I WILL!

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Immortalized
Salmon Arm, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Robert- Thanks for hosting! Good luck with your goals. I looks like you are trying to keep busy and paint or draw every day possible, and you can't ask for anything more. Daily art helps you get going and is always a great goal. I hope your health improves, Robert, and you get back to your normal.

Jim- Oh yes, finish the box and fill it up! Have fun at the wc workshop and I hope you find some time for yourself and your art.

I forgot that you asked me about the W & N colors for the Watercolor Tutor classes. They are Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Winsor Blue, Winsor Yellow, French Ultramarine Blue and Permanent Rose. Well into the course in chapter 5 two more colors are added; Perylene Maroon and Perylene Green. The paper used is Arches 140lb CP. Some colors can be replace with M. Graham and Da Vinci watercolors. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this, Jim.

Judi- Will, will, will!!! You can do it!

My goals for this month are the same as last month:

1) Work on the watercolor course for three hours a day, five days a week.

2) Paint or draw with a different medium once a week.

Maybe I will get dusty for the first time in a year!

Now I am off to watch the Super bowl! Go Seahawks!

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2015, 11:00 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Judibelle, PURR! There is a website I found on the Leslie Saeta challenge that you might find useful, it's PicMonkey and fairly easy to use. I found my way through it to create a collage of my 30 in 30 challenge but it had all kinds of other stuff you could do to or with a photo and then save it again. Hope that helps. Yay for your doing last month's Spotlight, can you post it in Studio anyway so I can see it? I can't wait. Late is always better than never and it sounds good. You will will will sketch and paint! Purring loudly at you and Ari sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration in a great fluffy puffy cloud with these broad snowflake-like chunks of undercoat.

Great goals, Doug! You must be getting really good at watercolor now. I like the W&N palette from your course, Permanent Rose is the one red I would choose if I were limiting reds. My favorite triad came from the WN site - Permanent Rose, Lemon Yellow and French Ultramarine. But of course I get into having way too many watercolors, see the Scumble.

Purr on switching mediums once a week while you master watercolor, looking forward to your pastels again! They are fast and bold, surely they can come back into your life without killing your watercolor time?

Is it okay to keep using your Spotlight photos after the month they're up? Seems like those crab apples in ice would actually fit this month's Spotlight too really well. Or maybe they're cranberries or something. Whatever those little hard red iced over things are. I didn't get to that one and would have liked to.

Well, much thanks for all encouragement but today came the crash after two days of intense "three a day" efforts. I'll finish it up just posting what I do and choosing 3 related pieces to post. Today's was the three paintings I put into the Openhouse exhibition, they look good together and that meant something to me. People kept asking if they'd sold, they thought my home carer was the buyer! I think that's something intriguing about it - for all that other pieces got noticed by the curator, a lot of people who saw them were saying "those will sell." Bodes well for a future of "paint like the daily painters."

I am beginning to like a 6" square sanded paper format, though I might want to start cutting it with some space around it for matting and clipping. I hate working right to the edge and taking two of them out of a 9" x 12" piece means no border space. Maybe if I do one 6" square and one 5" x 7" piece out of a 9" x 12" piece it'll work. I cut ATC pieces out of the Uart 400 sheet too so maybe a couple of people in Animals trade will get pastel on sanded paper cards. Pastel pencils and hard pastels work fine for animals that size, even Rembrandts do.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 01:26 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Was there some kind of game today? No tv, don't follow sports, hope y'all had fun if you're into that.

Thought today was without daily sketching either but I managed a digital skyscape from memory and posted it in my Art Journal. More than that figured out how to get those off my Kindle into my computer to post them, which may make Sketchbook Mobile more fun!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Wow, Rob, you are ambitious! I am not that prolific, so I take my hat off to you, esp. with a disability

Judi, maybe schedule the time to sketch into your calendar so you can't miss it?

Doug, enjoy the game, and enjoy the art goals even more!

Me: This month is going to be weird for me. I had stated in January that I wanted to do 2 paintings a month for the year (I seem to be a slow painter, maybe it's just inexperience). This month I'm cutting myself some slack if I don't get it done for two reasons: Feb only has 28 days, and, I'm getting married on that day, so I've got last minute wedding preps and running around and a lot of driving to do! I guess art can take a back seat for a month in order to gain a husband .

But for Feb, I have already underway a pastel painting - I cheated and started late January, plus a new CP painting.

My other goal is I have found out about an art show coming up in April. I have never entered an art show, but the last one I went to in November last year (a local one), I felt that I was up to standard compared with the other artworks. This show is also a local show- albeit a different group running it - but I'm feeling like I could enter, so my other goal is to have 4 paintings ready by 29th March, which means prepping in Feb/March, so I have a two month goal, allowing for February's other activities I might have to cram in early March! Think I can do it, though.

that's it, thanks Rob!
cheers
Donna
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Donna, that sounds so wonderful! Please, start a thread about the show once you have your paintings done and put them in. I'd love to see what you do for it. That's a wonderful feeling, to realize your work is up to par with a local show you're familiar with.

Four serious paintings in two months is doable and ambitious, congratulations! And getting married in one of those months! Wow. Doubly impressed and congratulations. I hope your husband loves your art and gets as supportive as some of the WC husbands do. For all the stress of the actual wedding, I hope you're joyously happy and madly in love. Maybe paint him for one of your pieces for the show.

Judi, make it easy! Good idea to schedule in your sketching time, also put the materials close at hand and do anything else to make it easier. Cool setup objects somewhere they won't be disturbed. Try the Scavenger Hunt thread in Artwork from Life, it seems to be the main activity in Artwork from Life and can be very motivational.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Hello Robert, that is good on the savings. It will expand the art kitty fund. There was no obvious 'click on to buy' on JV's E book so I had to pass it up. I did send an email asking where the similar was for his online session but he responded with the page I got lostwith – so again no use. I hope it was useful to you. Well done on the planning for the ATC, and yes they do get expensive to post these days.
Nice set of goals......

Hi Judi, and thanks for the encouragement WRT the pastel box. Perhaps I will - will - will - finish it this month . I will be watching for your spotlight or perhaps just the sketches? I know what you mean about old proggies that fit like an old boot – so comfortable. I remember telling my students – to not start a piece of course work with a new bit of software!

Hi Doug, thanks for the WC, I had forgotten about them. It all sounds familiar bar the last two. JFD does a lot of soaking of the paper and if not, then a lot of spattering of paint or masking fluid.
Those goals sound fine Doug. Do you put them on any site yet or do you feel not ready for that yet?

Hello Donna. Wow that sounds adventurous. Getting married and aiming for two paintings. I know which goal I'd let slide if I had too . Congratulations to you and your partner. I hope all goes well for you both.
Ok on the art show in April. Yes pull out all the stops and get the paintings done for April, even if you have to do them in February . Isn't Robert quite the romantic!

Perhaps I should pull out all the stops here and get this box finished. It's hanging around like a millstone isn't it. Ok that is what I'll try to do - and take some pictures of the process. I'll need to fire up some enthusiasm to keep me warm as I have no heating in the garage .
jim
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2015, 12:22 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Yay, Jim! Do it! Even if it's cold in there. Can you bring in a space heater?

Three pages of fruit sketches today, I'm back to 3 in 5. I guess missing one day on it to health wasn't too bad and I still managed Daily Art thanks to the Kindle. Two of today's are pastel and the other's charcoal.

Tomorrow's happy task will be sorting pastels! I got a gift of some Terry Ludwig boxes and so my huge stack of small Terry Ludwig boxes will all collapse into one 90 color box and Sennelier half sticks into the other, pieces of Mount Visions into a 30 color one... at last, able to sort the mixture by textures! Then I can use the Dakota for all medium soft ones and not get unexpected impasto when I'm doing the first layer over the underpainting.

And go ahead and try for three more sketches since it's the last day of 3 in 5 and I really almost did it. Today's was good. The cold is breaking up though it's still a little stuffy, I'm no longer causing a paper snowdrift.

Ari is purring and happy. I'm tired and happy. Purr.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

Hi Donna...Congratulations on your upcoming marriage....and your Art Show!
A lot going on for you.....

Rob...glad you got your 3 pages done today....hope your cold evaporates quickly...

I actually did a few pencil sketches. (Rob, thanks for the tip on the scavenger Hunt....I looked at the choices and may do a few...)
And this morning I did the Cardinal! Haven't posted it yet....still have to look at it one more time before I decide to post it... (I also checked picmonkey, but decided to stick with Picasa...finally actually read directions, so maybe it will work for me...)

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Hails from United States

Congrats on the wedding and art show, Donna! That will take up all of your time.
Jim, can't wait to see the finished box.
Robert, good job on the art work in spite of uncooperative health issues.
Yay on the sketches, Judi.
Doug, I hope you're enjoying the watercolor. Yesterday's class was canceled due to the snow. Some year I'll get back to it.
You guys know what my goals are...they are the same every single month...paint!

and we all shine on
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Judi, please do post your Cardinal! I'd love to see it and nothing there has to be perfect, it's just cool to see everyone's take on the same references. It also could be better than you think. This happens a lot.

Yay, finished the 3 in 5 challenge today and chose one of my pastelist friends as the last artist tagged. Did three pieces in watercolour markers and then a digital sketch. The digi is posted in the Scumble in a long post about drawing digitally on tablets. I tried one more time to get the easy to use app to download to my computer and it worked! So now I can use that one, but it's very limited especially in colors and especially in certain textures.

Still, it's cool that I'm learning to use the digital medium as well. I think that's my last step of Really Not Up To Cleaning Up And Putting Things Away Afterward art medium. Just poke the Kindle and doodle something and save and g'bye, it's done.