WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 AM
A WC! Legend
Beaudesert Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia
Lightbulb Images Here - Wde October 10 - 17

My plane arrived early so I am sitting in the lobby of the Le Grimaldi Hotel in Nice drinking a glass of red and waiting for you all to arrive

Sooooooooo here we go.

Welcome to this week's WDE.

All 16 images are my own and are high resolution, so if you'd like to crop closely, use the RIL bigger image ref. by following the link with each photo.
Please be as free and creative as you wish - crop, enlarge, adjust or combine the images!

Basic rules!

You have 30 minutes to make your choice and choose your materials - you may use any medium.

For the next two hours, just go for it then STOP!, scan or photograph your work and post it in your own new thread with your title, beginning with WDE, plus date, plus title.
Use WIP for any work in progress at the 2 hour mark, and MI for multiple images if other works are to be added before the following Tuesday.

NB. To avoid forum flooding, please put all of your work during the weekend, for the current WDE, into a single thread: multiple threads will be merged!
From the following TUESDAY, you may open a new thread for later work.

You have the whole week to participate - until the next WDE starts (usually Friday).

It's assumed we are all appreciative of any comments others make, so it's OK not to say 'Thank you' to everyone!!!

After posting your contribution, please try to view others entries and comment and encourage when you can. Unless requested, please refrain from critiquing.

Day 1
We have a bus ordered to take us all to the Villa le Reve in Vence. We will stop along the way at the musee Matisse and the musee Chagall. no photos allowed unfortunately. Chagall leaves me wondering what all the fuss is about but I am the odd one out there cause everyone else thinks his work is DIVINE

We have arrived at the villa le Reve where Matisse lived in the last few years of his life. It has had several lives since then and is now a dedicated artists retreat.

HIGH RES HERE

All meals are supplied and are catered by the wonderful Brigette and her family. We eat together outside and these are some table decorations that will serve for the floral enthuasists

HIGH RES HERE

These bottles must have been left by previous occupants and I thought they made an interesting still life

HIGH RES HERE

The town centre of Vence is a 15 minute walk away and they have open markets nearly every day

I must have forgotten to upload this image, if you want high res let me know.

The old city in Vence just oozes history, we have nothing like it here in Australia and I found it all so awesome to know that people have been walking on the same cobbles and living in the same houses for centuries

HIGH RES HERE

We all walked into the town on the 3rd day and went our seperate ways walking all around the town sketching whatever took our fancy. We then met up for lunch at one of the cafes and I had a goats cheese salad that was delicious.
This gentleman was entertaining the crowd and when I went to give him money two of my louder more worldly companions told me not to as we would never get rid of him. He came over to us and said in English"I have no ego, you can pay me to go away" I decided I liked him better than my companions and gave him 5 euro.
I left in the woman with her poor embarrassed hat wearing dog, why to people do that

HIGH RES HERE

I loved these chairs and would have brought them home with me if I could.

HIGH RES HERE

This is Brigette, our Chef and part time model. The lady with her is Wendy Sharpe our tutor for the week

HIGH RES HERE
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia
Re: Images Here - Wde October 10 - 17

This is me at the Matisse' studio window, I thought the light was interesting, not the model

HIGH RES HERE

We went to Entebbe for the day and visited the musee Picasso whiilw we were there, This is a balcony attached to the gallery.

High Res Here

This is the peoples market at Entebbe, not tourist. It was filled with spice and fruit and veg and all the colours and smells were incredible. I bought some cherries and peaches and they were divine. Much better than we get back here, I think they were allowed to ripen properly before picking, whatever they do it sure makes a difference

HIGH RES HERE

This was a beach at Entebbe, it actually had sand instead of rocks. I am told the sand was imported but do not know if this is accurate. I know it is all rocks in Nice. Big smooth rocks!!

HIGH RES HERE

I took a couple of extra days in Nice before coming home, this was taken in the flower market

HIGH RES HERE

This looks like its turned on its side in the uploader. I hope it rights itself when I save. An artist at the Nice Market

HIGH RES AND RIGHT SIDE UP

This wonderful fountain is in the middle of Nice, the kids were squealing with delight when the water started spouting MAGICAL PLACE

HIGH RES HERE

This lady was all dressed up and well prepared, the little dog was getting tired and just propped, refusing to walk another step so she took the bowl out of her purse and filled it from the bottle.

HIGH RES HERE

Well thats it, I hope you find something you like and enjoyed my postcards from France. It was a wonderful 2 weeks and I have enjoyed reliving them with you today.

I think the Fauvist challenge has been done a few times before but it seems appropriate for this week if you are up for it. If not just enjoy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 02:34 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

great pictures Christine it seems that you had a great time
Robert
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 05:09 AM
WC! Guide
Westbroek, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Lovely photos! Thanks Christine

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 06:53 AM
A Local Legend
Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Great images Christine, looks like you had a great time. How was the workshop?
I'm sure I can manage a fauvist Matisse style painting with this inspiration.
My Flickr Site***Instagram
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Super images Christine
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

It was great Ros, I think the most important thing I learnt was to work the whole painting and not get bogged down on one part. It was all pretty easy going and the people were friendly and easy to get on with. We were very well fed and wine was served every evening so good food, good wine, good company and painting every day with Wendy Sharpe. What more could you want.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
At the base of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah

Hails from United States

Excellent images! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful adventure in France! So many choices!!!
"In paintings that you may see hereafter cease to look for mechanical effect or minute finish, for individual leaves, blades of grass, or aped imitation of things, but look for smell, for soul, for feeling, for the beautiful in line and color." ~ John Hafen, 1905
URL="http://www.etsy.com/shop/PChristensenGallery"]My ETSY Store [/url]
[IMG] https://www.facebook.com/patricialeechristensen/
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2009/99739-Paintings_Strip_web.jpg[/IMG]
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

So many great picture to choose from, oooh!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos with us. What an incredible trip!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 01:34 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Marvellous photos. What an interesting trip!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 02:00 PM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

looks like a super time Christine
how many people in your art group?
I am off to Gascony for a couple wks next June (the plan anyway) so looking forward to it
I agree about the fresh fruit being so much tastier when it is ripened naturally instead of being imported with the ripening halted.
what did you paint? would love to see some of your work
how about a challenge to paint like Chagall, I agree with you on his work, maybe I just dont understand it?

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 03:39 PM
A WC! Legend
florida

Hails from United States

what a fascinating trip, and your observations and photos are wonderful...tyree
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

There were 13 of us all together, that included the tutor and the organiser.
We all used gouache and most of us had no real experience with it and the week started with us just quickly capturing the scene and laying out the basic shapes and colours. Usually 2 to 5 minute sketches. We progressed to more detailed work toward the end of the week.
Here is a selection in sequence of when they were done.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2014, 11:04 PM
A WC! Legend
FLORIDA

Hails from United States

Can't wait to PLAY....oops, mean paint! But that's play too, right?? lol
Thanks for that amazing tour of your FRANCE