WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

I am an addict

Hi, my name is Sarah, and I am a painting addict My brain has re-wired itself to think about everything as it relates to painting. Watching a movie? Wow, look at how that scene is lit, it would make a great painting. I wonder if I have that shade of dusty purple? Running errands....better bring the camera because you might see something that would make a good painting. Raining outside? Perfect, now I don't have to feel guilty about staying in the house all day. Nice outside? Let's just pretend it's raining so there are no bad feelings about being in the studio all day. Anything that can be put off for another day will be put off. What weeds? What laundry? Dinner....what's that?

Sarah Rose
~~~ long time sculptor, short time painter C & C always welcome!
paintings: www.sarahrosepastel.blogspot.com
sculpture: www.rosestudios.blogspot.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:28 PM
Immortalized

Re: I am an addict

LOL, Sarah! I belong to that club, too! Add to your list that while reading novels, I picture the scenes in my head and frequently think, "That would make a great painting!"

I think it's not surprising the Old Masters (and more recent ones) are so frequently male--and had our have those indispensable persons called wives to take care of troublesome details like food preparation, laundry, and children and other weeds.

Just think of yourself as not addicted but as "having the optimal mindset of an artist." And you may quote me when explaining why you didn't get around to cleaning the closet today! Happy painting! (And if any spare wives are reading this post and long for more laundry to do, please apply. Somehow, having been there and done that, I don't think I'll be flooded with responses.)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Lucky for me my husband doesn't subscribe to the old fashioned male and female household roles He doesn't care if the house is messy, if I don't cook something for dinner he will make eggs, he even does laundry if he runs out of clothes

Sarah Rose
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM

I haven't cleaned in months. Good thing my husband it a neat freak and vacuums,etc. I am new at this and want to paint everything that inspires me. It is hard to hold back and my skills don't math my vision for the painting.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:48 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Sarah, is there an agree button to push? Seeing possible painting on TV, in a movie. Thinking color. Bringing the camera everywhere. Peoples' poses.

And we won't mention needing more pastels. No...no mention of that.

You are not alone.

JAY
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

This is the first year my horse has been barefoot for most of the summer because I haven't ridden him enough to warrant shoeing. "Its too hot, too buggy, too cold, too rainy, too windy.....to ride. I guess I'll just have to go up into the studio and paint instead...."

I watch TV and see dramatic lighting on an actor's face and think "what colors would I use to paint that face?" HAH! I've never painted a portrait in real life, but I sure have painted a ton in my head.

I always bring my camera (or at least have the phone) in case there is a perfect scene/lighting/photo op on my drive to work. I am embarrassed to say I have been late once or twice because of stopping on the side of one of our farm roads. Ummm.......traffic was really bad???

So yeah, I'm an art addict as well.

Cat

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 04:25 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Someone texted me a photo of a darling three year old child. I texted back, please turn around and photograph that sky for me. She did!

JAY
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Cat, I am so there with you. I have ridden some, but only if someone else wants to go and brings it up. I used to be a riding-aholic. It seems like this thing has really taken over my mind and I can't let it go until I 'figure it out'. I read somewhere someone saying they might even try to live longer so they have more time to figure it out. I can relate. As a woman in her late 40's I would have thought nothing could pique my interest again, but here I am. Sometimes it is bliss and a lot of the time it's frustration as my work is not what I want it to be, and I realize it takes years, decades even, to get to that point. I have even lost a few pounds because I don't want to be bothered to eat

Sarah Rose
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Lord of the Arts
Virginia

Hails from United States

All I can say is to enjoy it!

I used to be that way, but life's twists and turns proved too distracting. After a couple years, I've rid myself of some distractions and am prodding myself to get the juices to flow again, but it's harder to come by this time.

Work it for all it's worth!

Bonnie Ferguson Butler [Art : Facebook]
Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. (Pablo Picasso)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I was out today, and I saw a crane (the mechanical kind, tall, metal, you know..... not the bird ) reaching into the sky. The sky was the purist of blues, and the crane, the brightest of oranges.... I said to my daughter, look at the complimentary colors, aren't they just beautiful??? I told her, that's how my mind/eye works, visual temptations to paint all around me, even in the ugliest of subjects....... I do think it would make a beautiful painting....
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

Just wait. The madness gets about a thousand times worse if you decide to start plein air painting. LOL

Quote:
I haven't cleaned in months.

painting is a better use of time.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 PM

Hails from United States

Yes, Sarah Rose, count me in. If I'm not painting, I'm watching instruction videos or reading books. In my yard I look up at the sky and think that's cool...what colors? or look at the huge maple tree and enjoy the play of light and shadow. I bore everyone when I say..look at that....look at those colors...amazing clouds...and you didn't hear me say that I snapped photos while driving over a local bridge (there are the most amazing river and mountain views...and if it happens to be sunset...oh my)
Hi...my name is Peg...and I'm a paint-a-holic (and don't get me started on my buying art supplies addiction...)

and we all shine on
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 PM
NJ

I keep banging into things while walking because I'm constantly studying the clouds...lol I think I know all the trees by my house by name.

Jake
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

When I'm not up to painting or drawing I'm reading WC and thinking about it, or studying the art on my walls, or looking at things deciding how to paint them. Planning paintings and mental rehearsal.

The happy thing is that all that mind practice results in better painting. It does count! Imagine yourself doing it perfectly and when you really do it, it works better than it would if you hadn't.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
northwest New Mexico

Hails from United States

Hi

I am Eric I am a painting addict . It all started with a few doodles on scrap paper . Then doodles proliferated on every piece of paper I touched. From little kilroys to smiley to trees .

And no that was not enough I needed more colored doodles red ink blue , oh all the pretty colored pencils.

Start with doodle they are gateway art it will lead you to the hard stuff.

Ohh it went down hill from there acrylic paints, watercolors, pastel pencils and pastels oh look at all those little colorful pieces of vibrant joy just like lays potato chips cant own just 1 company .

It gets worse my wife say what a beautiful red sunset , I reply yes it is a beautiful shade of Cadmium red light and think hmm can I paint it. Look at that green truck the hookers green one ? She sees blue ,I see cobalt she sees yellow I see yellow oxide. It permeates all aspects of your life. Im eating spray cheese in a can with club crackers She asks for some I spray some cheese on a few give em to her she looks at em looks at me and says you make designs even on this shees .

Better half goes to town and grocery shops asks if I want any thing and I think am I out of any paper or pastels paint , Oh hun you going by hobby lobby? Umm hun you need new candy molds Hobby Lobby has those

She must think I have a thing for the fedex lady I am always so happy to see her .

My desk drawer cant hold all the doodles sketches and thumb nails our once beautiful bed room has turned into a studio with a bed. The walls cant hold any more paintings . our bedroom closet has more art supplies than clothes .

After we go to bed if I cant sleep I need another fix do I read a novel , No I surf the web for ideas or break out the sketch book and do some online life drawings or read wetcanvs. Of course there's always window shopping at the online art supplies. If she catches me should I tell her the truth or tell her Im surfing the web for dirty pictures

So far better half is taking it in stride at least she hasn't tried an intervention yet .

Last edited by RickinNM : 08-26-2014 at 04:27 AM.