WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:05 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia
RYB; CMY; RGB+CMY or special, Limited colors gamut palettes?

Here is five groups of color palettes (excluding White and Black):

1. RYB
2. CMY
3. RGB+CMY
4. Monochrome, Duochrome or other, Limited color gamut palette.
5. 320 different tubes with all attractive paints manufactured around whole world.

My own assumption is, that ~70% of us use RYB because of artists books and baroque favor, ~15% use RGB+CMY because of highest color richness, 10% use Limited colors because they hate some negative colors, and last 5% of us use CMY because of minimalistic, scientific color idea!
And one or two very happy artists on WC can have 300 or 400 paint tubes!

Which color palette you are using and why?

Last edited by Gigalot : 08-14-2014 at 06:14 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: RYB; CMY; RGB+CMY or special, Limited colors gamut palettes?

I like the idea of finding my perfect, limited palette, and sticking with it forever, but I doubt that's gonna happen! I love trying out and getting to know new pigments, and dumping ones I feel are superfluous.

I use some form of RGB + CMY bolstered with one or two transparent earth colors to make life easier. RYB or CMY by itself would be too limiting color-wise. Also, CMY I find requires constant fighting to get natural-looking colors. But if I painted transparently, or in watercolors, I might favor a CMY palette...maybe.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Life is too short to paint with a limited palette all the time, I did my share, now I am going to use all the colors I want to use based upon whether I like the color or not, but here is the thing, there aren't any colors I don't like

Karin Jurick uses about 50 colors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIs1S_zAMI

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 08-14-2014 at 07:27 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1
with one or two transparent earth colors to make life easier.

Yeah, I love earth pigments! Probably not because of colors, those pigments can give rough surface, coarse ground pigment particles sounds very natural, are just living, building material of nature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
Life is too short to paint with a limited palette
More pant tubes prolongs our life!

Last edited by Gigalot : 08-14-2014 at 07:37 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

With acrylics, I enjoy using as many different lightfast, single-pigment colors as I can afford to get my hands on, just so I can learn how they behave with each other. Sometimes it's nice just to glob lots of color on the canvas without having to worry about mixing/matching, or things drying out

With watercolors, my palette is probably closest to RGB+CMY -- low on the green, though. I love painting abstracts transparently with high-chroma colors, and don't mind mixing greens, oranges, violets, and darks. The first four colors I chose for my palette were something like a CMY-RYB hybrid-- a red-magenta (PV19 red), a mid yellow (PY150), a cyan (PG50), and a blue (PB29). Those took me a long way! Later color additions were for higher chroma unique hues, different granulation/staining properties, and mixing convenience. With a total of 14 colors (3 yellows, 1 green, 2 cyans, 2 blues, 1 red, 1 earth red, 4 magentas - one just for glazing), I'm pretty well covered, and have managed to escape the art supply store the past few visits without buying any more tubes of paint!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Lord of the Arts

My palette depends on the medium, support, subject and my own mood.

Subject: am I trying to paint flowers? If so, what reds usually best depicts those flowers? What if they were yellow instead? Or is it a landscape? Or still life?

Support: am I painting on canvas? If so, I can lay more color, so I can do an underpainting more easily and then glaze a lot. Or am I painting on cheaper paper with acrylics? If so, I want to keep underpaintings to a mimimum and keep a more direct approach.

Medium: am I painting with oils, which have a deeper masstone but have less brighter Earth tones if compared to acrylics? Or is it acrylics, which have don't have that marvelous, duo-chromic look in azo yellows, and unforgiving blending, but allow me to glaze a little better?

Mood: do I want to do a low-chroma study to find out how to get the cleanest tones with Yellow Ochre (PY 43)? Or am I specifically interested about the pure hues of Permanent Rose (PV 19-gamma)? Or do I want to just relax and enjoy painting with the most garish, intense color palette I can find with my tubes? Am I trying to understand how Phthalo Blue Red Shade (PB 15:1) can best imitate Cobalt Blue (PB 29)?

That's a big list of my personal variables, but it doesn't exhaust all of them!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Essex, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

CMY is my first port of call, they're always there. If I'm trying a new medium or a new type of paint then CMY is where I'll start. It's also what I base mini sketching palettes on. Then I'd add a complement for at least one of those colours (usually Indian red for earthiness) and a couple of colours I just like, such as Quin gold or Viridian (I love the way Viridian complements Quin rose).

My only issue with this palette is my addiction to the granulating mix of Ultramarine and Burnt sienna in watercolours, as I usually use Phthalo blue GS as my Cyan.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Here is five groups of color palettes (excluding White and Black):

1. RYB
2. CMY
3. RGB+CMY
4. Monochrome, Duochrome or other, Limited color gamut palette.
5. 320 different tubes with all attractive paints manufactured around whole world.

My own assumption is, that ~70% of us use RYB because of artists books and baroque favor, ~15% use RGB+CMY because of highest color richness, 10% use Limited colors because they hate some negative colors, and last 5% of us use CMY because of minimalistic, scientific color idea!
And one or two very happy artists on WC can have 300 or 400 paint tubes!

Which color palette you are using and why?

I guess I have around twenty paints handy, and use ten or so in most paintings.

Seventy percent for RYB seems a reasonable guess if you include the "split primary" variation, which is needed to evade the difficulty of using an actual RYB palette. I think the high number is ultimately due to the fact that RYB found its way (via Itten) into tertiary education in the sixties and seventies; before that it seems to have mainly lingered on in books aimed at amateurs.

Five percent might be about the number using CMY "because of minimalistic, scientific color idea" (under the influence of CMY nuts like Don Jusko?), but that's not the only reason why someone might choose to use a palette of the subtractive primaries. Tim Maguire is a very successful Australian artist who has for many years been constructing his paintings out of magenta and cyan glazes over a yellow underpainting:

http://tolarnogalleries.com/artists/tim-maguire/4/

Last edited by davidbriggs : 08-15-2014 at 12:16 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbriggs
Five percent might be about the number using CMY "because of minimalistic, scientific color idea" (under the influence of CMY nuts like Don Jusko?), but that's not the only reason why someone might choose to use a palette of the subtractive primaries. Tim Maguire is a very successful Australian artist who has for many years been constructing his paintings out of magenta and cyan glazes over a yellow underpainting:

http://tolarnogalleries.com/artists/tim-maguire/4/

Thank you David, what an interesting idea to use yellow (and white?) imprimatura and magenta-cyan glaze over it! I guess, you can control remaining color by using different thickness of glazing paint.

Last edited by Gigalot : 08-15-2014 at 01:53 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 AM
Sydney

Hails from Australia

I assume the yellow layer is painted on a white ground and its strength is controlled by its thickness, like the other layers, bit I'm not sure.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:29 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

he should add black to his arsenal of colors!