WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Project Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Thumbs up PROJECT; Endangered Animals & Birds

Endangered Animals & Birds

Title:Endangered Animals & Birds

Project Leader:Vivien Maloney

Date Added:06-22-2014

Type Restrictions:Any Type

Total participants: unlimited

Medium Restrictions:Any Medium

Single Ref. Image?No

Subject Restrictions: Endangered Animals & Birds

Relative Difficulty:Medium

Days open for signups:Always

Max Participants:Unlimited

Grace Period:Unlimited

Reference Images:
Your own references or from the RIL

Almost every country in the world now has endangered animals & birds. For instance, the Black Rhino in Africa, the Giant Panda in China, the critically endangered and only ground-dwelling parrot in the world, the Kakapo in New Zealand. Whales, Dolphins, Seals...the list is endless. Lets look at these endangered species and use our art to celebrate those animals & birds who struggle to survive with the hope that no more species will become extinct. After all "extinction is forever".

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 07-18-2014 at 12:26 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM
olgadabrowska

Re: NEW PROJECT; Endangered Animals & Birds

All right, now I can post my work in progress with description and finished image. Projects system really needs some reworking! The above didn't save descriptions >_<
On to my work. As I work close to elephants and manage everything that concerns them at our zoo, it was natural to me to paint an elephant and touch the subject of mass murder now happening in Africa. It's hard to believe how cruel humans can be for money. Thousands of elephants killed for ivory, thousands of orphans, some of them have enough luck to be taken to David Sheldrick shelter in Kenya. Some of them don't survive. Elephant baby, if survives, carries this memory of their mother being killed for the rest of their lives. Some pouchers attack the baby to have their mother come to rescue and then kill her, leaving the baby elephant desparately seeking for her voice, milk, warmth while she's dead. If rangers don't find the baby, it dies. Do we really want to live in such world? Many say if we do not stop pouching, in ten years we will have no African elephants.
Here are some useful links
Elephant Voices
Save the Elephants
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Amboseli Trust for Elephants
Elephant Listening Project
New York Times article

People must know. We must act. Otherwise we lose these magnificent, intelligent animals.

Work in progress

1. Digital sketch with texture test - drawn with Wacom tablet, document size 30x60cm in print so that I can plan composition. Digital sketching saves my paper and pencils and lets me change and adjust as much as I want, also quickly compare versions and try different color schemes. The sketch is then printed (without texture) in painting size and transferred onto the canvas.

2. Sketch transferred on canvas using Saral transfer paper. Digital drawing allowed me to position the head as I wanted so while drawing on the canvas I didn't have to worry about placing the head as it was already done correctly digitally. Ready sketch is sprayed with pastel fixative to prevent smudging.

3. The canvas is liberally covered with W&N Artists' Acrylic Flow Improver mixed with a little water (about 15% water) with soft, large flat brush. While it is still running down the canvas acrylic paint is applied: alizarin crimson, prussian blue and yellow ochre. I start from the top and squeeze the brush (large round, hog bristle) against the canvas to release more paint and make it form large drops. As W&M medium contains alcohol ethoxylate, when used in such large amount it dissolves acrylics creating effects similar to watercolor wet-in-wet technique. I sometimes shake the canvas to help paint run where I want it to but most of the time I let the paint find its way.

4. When the canvas is dry I start with elephant head using burnt umber, yellow ochre, payne's grey, alizarin crimson and titanium white. Tusks and trunk are painted using mix of alizarin crimson and burnt umber, running paint technique is used on the fading areas, exactly as in the background. For background I use again alizarin crimson and payne's grey, applying diluted paint (with water) on top of the canvas, letting the paint run down and immediately applying clean W&N flow improver straight from the bottle on top of the canvas to help the paint flow even more, with unexpected texture effects when the medium dissolves the paint. I repeat this step on tusks and trunk after initial layer is dry. To create a frame I use Copic markers and Tim Holtz marker spritzer by Ranger, handy little tool that allows to use the marker as airbrush, forming soft areas or more irregular splats depending on how close the tool is to the canvas and on what angle. Color used is Deep Red from Copic Sketch palette and Warm Grey (dark) from On The Run markers. Both types of marker are alcohol based and they are not dissolved by W&N medium, which in this phase is not used. Various colors of markers from brown/grey/red palette are used across the painting to create shades and texture.

5. Using palette knife and mix of alizarin crimson and burnt umber I add thick paint at the bottom, forming texture and various shapes imitating blood stains. I shade them gently with titanium white. All further shading and darkening on elephant head is done with markers and marker spritzer, using variety of colors from brown/warm grey/yellow palette. Specific areas are highlighted using titanium white acrylic. To break overall red tone of the painting I add payne's grey acrylic on top of the canvas and help it run with flow improver and water.

6. Shading elephant's head with markers, dark colors plus black. Also adding black marker on top of the canvas and to darken red bottom texture. Marker was added from the spritzer.

continued in next post
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:14 PM
olgadabrowska

After the work is dry and photographed, colors adjusted, here is final work

Extinction is forever
acrylic and markers on canvas
30x60cm

Glad I could participate!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Olga - your paintings is wonderful, such a powerful statement, and your comments are very thought provoking and realistic. Great work!
You obviously feel very strongly about this subject, as do I, and this was my thinking when posting this "Endangered" aimals Project.
Ive seen many documentaries on tv about what is happening to these magestic animals, sometimes killed for their ivory - their carcases left to rot!

Once a wildlife species becomes extinct, they are gone from us forever, and the world is a much poorer place because of it!

Thank you for posting your wonderful paintings and your comments.
I do hope other members get behind this project and post some paintings.
There are so many endangered animals and wildlife out there.

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 07-17-2014 at 04:45 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:34 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Wow,Olga, A strong statement!
Vivien - the rhino....the slaughter in our national and private parks is so high, it is discussed quite regularly on our news networks!
I've had the privilege of being able to obtain permission from Mike Haworth, the photographer, to use his photos for my art. Here is one of his black and white photos I did in graphite.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 AM

Hails from New Zealand

Christel - wonderful graphite of an elephant group! Love the little one!

Yes the Rhino is hunted for its horn, the elephants for the ivory in their tusks! These wonderful animals may become extinct if there is not enough measures taken to protect them. Luckily there are many dedicated people out there that do care!

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Great painting Olga lovely style

Nice drawing Chistel I just commented on it i
Robert
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:54 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Thanks Vivien and Robert! I thought I may add my A4 drawing of a rhino too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 AM
olgadabrowska

Thank you for your comments. It is a strong piece for me and very personal. Having a great chance to work close to elephants, to see how they grow, how they learn, how they suffer and how they feel greatful when we cure them (here is our latest big event, first in Poland, I was the one responsible for organizing this craziness to save our elephant's health http://www.nzg.ac.za/release/2013_08_01.php
and http://www.zoodentist.com/ where you can see some photos on the right, the guy in red bandanna is my husband, head elephant keeper ^_^) - it is a privilege. I have contact with many people involved directly in wildlife conservation, not only in Africa, it's very tough job but it must be done.
Believe it or not, in Pretoria zoo there are armed guards set at nights to protect their white rhinos' facility. Unbelievable... this is a zoo in the end. Alas, it happens, I used to work in Warsaw zoo and one night someone broke in and salughtered all Thomson's gazelles for their heads. It was terrible to enter the zoo in the morning only to find out headless bodies. Zoo guards were hopeless at that time as they had no guns but who would expect it would happen?? In the center of the city?

I'm glad more people are joining. These are really great drawings, I like them all I may enter again with another painting, this time a bird perhaps, my favourite and one that I took care of at Warsaw zoo, the extinct in the wild Bali mynah.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Olga - thats awful there has to be armed guards in a Zoo to protect the animals from humans! What a terrible thing to happen!

Christel - wonderful Rhino drawing! Marvellous texture, youve portrayed the folds of his skin perfectly! Great job on him!

This is a list of 10 of the most endangered animals & wildlife in the world, but the list goes on and on. Wikipidia list 100 but there are so many more.

African Elephants
The Mountain Gorilla
Javan Rhinoceros
Amur Leopard
Both the Northern & Southern Right Whales
Siberian Tiger
NZ Kakapo - the only ground-dwelling parrot in the world - crtically endangered, only 126
left
The Giant Panda
NZ Maui Dolphin
NZ Southern Sealion

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 07-18-2014 at 03:46 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Hails from New Zealand

This Project is for members who would like to paint/draw an animal/bird/wildlife, that is on the endangered list.

You may want to do a painting from an animal which is endangered in your country or from another country.

Looking forward to seeing your artwork, to add to the wonderful work that's already been posted.

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
USA - Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

viv, gerat topic for subject matter!
Appreciating the beautiful work already posted--
Olga- your piece touches my heart, very poignant.
Christal - lovely drawings, the elephants are really cool.

Just back from Florda, saw many unusual birds I never get to see up north. I just looked up the spoonbill I saw-- it IS on the Everglades endangered list!

Pat St.Onge/ FineArtAmerica
PAWS Painter (Etsy)

Last edited by bluemoonstar : 07-18-2014 at 10:00 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Hi Pat - thanks for your comments on the paintings already posted.
Aha, maybe we will see an Everglades Spoonbill from you here???

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2014, 04:17 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

I had a quick look at what other animals are on the endangered list, and there are some very surprising entries. The cheetah and the hyacinth macaw is on another google search under endangered species?
Here is one of my favorite canine friends, the African wild dog. A3 oil pastels.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Christel - what a beautiful oil pastel of the African Wild-dog! Ive always thought that they looked just a bit like scavengers, but your painting has given him such a likeable, appealing personality! He actually looks quite regal! You are certainly handling those oil pastels well!

Yes, I think this Endangered Project, will produce many animal & bird species that we didnt know, were on the endangered list. And every country has its own endangered species also. Probably there will be some, weve never heard of.
For instance, NZ has a giant native snail, that is so rare I never knew it existed!

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 07-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.