WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States
A ? why heads would all hang on a line?

I have an Andrew Loomis book, and it contains one example it shows a room of people (I think in the chapter on "perspective", and points out how all heads are "hanging" on a line. I believe it, but don't understand it. What would make it so?

if anyone has ANY comments, I would love to hear them. I am totally perplexed. Some people are taller than others, so why would this be? Does it have to do with point of view?

Thanks,
Cathy
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: A ? why heads would all hang on a line?

Check out this photo I took in Italy.

On a level street if the photographer is standing all heads lie along the horizon but feet rise into the distance.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusher
....I think in the chapter on "perspective".....
Yes, it is due to perspective, "eye level". All receding horizontal lines converge in one or more vanishing points on the "eye level" of the observer. So a line already on the eye level stays horizontal. Take a look at a receding masonry wall. At the eye level, the grout line runs horizontal, all other grout lines converge. In the same manner the eye level - literally - of all persons (of the same size as the observer) will be identical to the eye level of the observer.
Quote:
....I am totally perplexed. Some people are taller than others, so why would this be?
Of course, as you can see in the photo by Doug, there are variations. Loomis wrote for illustrators, so his teachings are a bit formulaic, but they are very useful as checklists.

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Doug and Arnoud:
Thank you for your responses. My husband also explained why it makes sense by demonstrating how things stay true to the eye level - whether far away or moving forward. And I have gone back to Ernest Norling's book on perspective, which also addresses this matter of the eye level. I will have to study this further; I have a couple of viewfinders and will view some scenes myself and see how the perspective works.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
manhattan,ny

Hails from South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands

the horizon = approx your eye/head. this is an approximation of course because your eyes and the top of your head are not the same height. but for the sake of simplicity eye level = height = horizon line.

therefore, any form that hits that horizon line is YOUR height. if you are 4' tall, the horizon(and eye level) line is 4', and any object tapping out at the line is 4' tall. if you are 6' tall, the horizon/eye level/height = 6' and any object hitting that line is 6'. anything higher or lower than eye level is proportionately higher or lower than the horizon line.

the reason the feet are planted at different points is just perspective. thing of looking down a street or railroad tracks. you know the street or tracks are "foot level", but as you can see the tracks and street raise to a point that eventually meets at the horizon
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM
manhattan,ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Check out this photo I took in Italy.

On a level street if the photographer is standing all heads lie along the horizon but feet rise into the distance.

Doug

this is an inappropriate example because you are looking down a slanted street
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Kansas

Hails from United States

This is one of "those rules". While it helps make pictures look right the fact is people do not all have the same eye level and some will be a bit above and below the viewers plane.
Have fun, Dave
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Bruin70 and Dave:
Thanks for your comments! I am not sure what difference the slanting of the street makes (?)
I will have to go out with a clear graphics ruler or viewfinder and just take a look for myself, to get more understanding of this phenomenon. It does make sense, but I have yet to really understand it.
Thanks, Cathy
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Obviously if the street is sloping the head heights will vary with the distance from the viewer.

Doug
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Lord of the Arts

A similar photographic demonstration was posted here about objects in or on water. All objects at the same distance from the viewer will cut the water on the same line.

These little tricks of vision are very useful to know, as are the reasons behind them. Sometimes when a painting looks a bit "off" in a way we can't quite put our finger on it is one of these basics.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2014, 07:40 PM
manhattan,ny

Quote:
Bruin70 and Dave:
Thanks for your comments! I am not sure what difference the slanting of the street makes (?)
I will have to go out with a clear graphics ruler or viewfinder and just take a look for myself, to get more understanding of this phenomenon. It does make sense, but I have yet to really understand it.
Thanks, Cathy

it is an uneven slanted street
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 AM
manhattan,ny

Quote:
I have an Andrew Loomis book, and it contains one example it shows a room of people (I think in the chapter on "perspective", and points out how all heads are "hanging" on a line. I believe it, but don't understand it. What would make it so?

if anyone has ANY comments, I would love to hear them. I am totally perplexed. Some people are taller than others, so why would this be? Does it have to do with point of view?

Thanks,
Cathy

i never paid attention to the original question because i was focused on the italian street pic.

sorry... to answer your question "hanging on a line"...the line he's referring to is the implied "horizon line/viewer's eye level". the heads hanging on the line means the horizon line is used to to measure all the people's height in relation to that line, ie hanging on the line.

if you are 6' tall, the horizon line/eye level is 6'. this is not 100% accurate but for general purposes it is assumed that eye level = height ,,,even though they are not really. if you see someone who is 3' tall his head will be half the distance from his feet to the horizon line(6'). if he was 7' tall his head topping out at a point 1/6 than his feet>horizon, distance because a 7'er is 1/6 taller than a 6'er(you).

diagram..no matter where the 3'er or 7'er stands, they will always be drawn in relation to the horizon line. the horizon line or YOU or eye level is the constant. every object placed on a picture plane is drawn relative to the horizon line and the height of the horizon line is dictated by how high you stand. if you are a 6'er standing on the 4' platform, the horizon line is now 10',,,and a person of a different height than you will have his own horizon line
Attached Images

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 AM
manhattan,ny

if the horizon line/eye level/you was 10',,,it would look like this
Attached Images

Last edited by bruin70 : 07-04-2014 at 12:10 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
manhattan,ny

as for the whole perspective on a slanted street thing, there are two vanishing points and in a sense, two eye levels, one of which is almost pointless. one is the actual street itself which is almost useless, and the other is the vanishing point created by the buildings. that vp is used to lined up element of buildings and any man-made unit.

almost everything on a slanted street, including people, stand vertical/upright. which is actually angled against the street, and are thus skewed and variations are compressed. as you can see, only the perspective created by the buildings have any REAL use. i'm sure there's some schematic for the slanted street, but the question there is what's the point...only an architect or someone in need of exactness would diagram it. cars are generally diagrammed in linear perspective(as opposed to placement perspective with your people question) because people(like architects) assume that all cars are the same.

if you place people walking on the street you would use the street perspective, but if you were to somehow place people on top of and in any way connected to the buildings, you would use the building perspective to plane out the people.

the only point that both perspectives share is that both vp's should align horizontally, ie one vp is directly aligned above the other
Attached Images

Last edited by bruin70 : 07-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Louisiana

Hails from United States

this is cool. too bad andre the giant is not in the photo. i think he be over the line. maybe not lol