Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Dorland Wax as a Sealer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • Author

I was speaking with another watercolour artist a few weeks ago and he described how he uses Dorland Wax to finish his watercolours so they can be displayed without glass. I picked some up and gave it a try and I’m generally pleased with the results. However, I do have a few tips.

Just to let you know, I tried photographing the test stripes of paint I used but it just showed paper that had glare on half and no glare on the other. No other difference could be picked up in a photo so I won’t bother with showing them. I will bring the tests to the Ontario meet for those of you attending.

Technique:
    When applying the wax I used a soft lint-free cloth with just enough wax to go on smoothly without rubbing the paint. It is very soft and could even be applied by a brush. I gently rubbed it in little circles all over to make sure everything was covered. I also tried three different thicknesses of the wax from very thin, to medium to thick. I let it dry overnight and then buffed it.

Results:
    All three worked well to coat the painting and made a finish that was mat but still had a shine. There was only the very smallest of change in the colour of the paint but not as noticeable as with varnish. The white paper stayed completely white with no change in colour. The surface was waterproof for dropping water on it. Scrubbing with a stiff brush (not too hard) lifted a little colour from the surface but it still appeared waterproof, buffed right back to the original appearance, and showed no sign of colour lifted from the painting.

Tips: if you put the wax on thickly the surface will retain the brush marks or swirls that you leave, even after buffing. I found the lightest coat worked best.

Final Thoughts:
    I am going to use this on a finished painting rather than just test paint stripes. However, I think this will become a favourite way of finishing paintings that will be displayed without glass. However, don’t think that you will be able to avoid the glare on the surface that comes from varnish. There is still the shine but it appears softer and more organic. The wax is guaranteed not to yellow and is archival. I bought it at Curry,s.

I hope others try it and add there results and thoughts in this thread.

www.ellenspalette.com

seedy

Thanks, Ellen.
        1st hand reviews are always appreciated….I still prefer the glass/matt system, but looking forward to seeing what it will look like just mounting on masonite and then framed without borders.

Brian.
        Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
        http://ottawaartassociation.ca/gallery/artist/brian-seed-0

yellow_oxide

I have a jar of Dorland wax and it says it contains “mineral spirits,” which in other words is paint thinner for oil paints. Would that be a problem for paper?

Good experience Ellen, I look forward to seeing the results at the Meet.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Thanks, Ellen, good information you have given us. I’m looking forward to trying it, I have used it on photographs, but not paintings yet. I used it strait from the jar and I couldn’t quite buff out all trace of the lines from the cloth, so I will dilute it a bit next time. I bought the odourless thinner they recommend, is that what you used?

Cheers, Lynn
            www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
            "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

olliewood0702

Great review Ellen, good information about the Dorland Wax process.

Darla

If I create from the heart, nearly everything works: if from the head, almost nothing. — Marc Chagall

Lynn – I didn’t dilute it at all. I used it straight from the jar. I think the texture of the watercolour paper helped and putting it on thinly as well. Photo paper is very smooth so that might be why it shows the ridges.

www.ellenspalette.com

Thanks for the info, Ellen.

Sounds like a good alternative to the varnish and glass for protecting our paintings.

Will add this to the Watercolor Handbook under the Matting and Framing Paintings section, sub-section: **Fixatives and Varnished Paintings** which I will change the title to read **Fixatives, Varnished, and Waxed Paintings**

Sylvia

I’m looking forward to seeing your painting finished with the wax, Ellen. Please bring it to the Ontario Meet!

I do find that while the satin varnish I use on my gallery wrapped pieces does have some glare, it’s not as bad as framing with glass. I think that watercolours benefit from a little shine. The varnish, though, tends to make my work look more like acrylic than watercolour. I like the notion that the wax seems organic.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

baeserj

A question comes to mind. Since it is wax, does it attract dust over time? If it does, can the dust be removed without affecting the surface?

Ron B.
                    [FONT=Verdana]"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once they grow up." Pablo Picasso

DaveCrow

Is this the stuff that is sold as “Dorland’s Wax Medium” for oils painters? I never would have though of using it this way. I may have to get some and try it.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

Yes, Dave, I saw it in a demo done at Curry’s on a gouache painting.

Cheers, Lynn
                        www.fineartamerica.com/profiles/lynn-macintyre
                        "Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen

Dave – yes, it can be mixed with oils as a medium as well.

Ron – The wax surface can be cleaned with a cloth with soap and water I believe.

www.ellenspalette.com

alexs

Ellen: There is a thread in the Learning Zone, “Using Wax Medium” started by Pezzaroo, 05-08-2010. It should be of interest to those who are thinking of using this technique.
                            I have used Dorland wax but only on a few paintings. I believe that a fixative should be applied to the watercolor surface first then use the wax, only my opinion. I also have glued my paintings to a support using acrylic matt medium prior to applying the wax.
                            Alex

Thanks for that info Alex. I read it over.

I don’t seal my painting at all before applying the wax. I was gentle when applying it and the paint didn’t move at all. I also applied a very thin coat with a cloth and buffed it slightly right away. The next day I applied a second very thin coat and buffed right away. I really liked this effect. It is not shiny but looks finished.

I didn’t mount this small painting because it is on 300 lb paper and stiff enough.

www.ellenspalette.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.