WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Alabama

Hails from United States
White Charcoal Pencils vs White Pastel Pencils?

What is the difference in performance between white charcoal pencils and white pastel pencils? From what I've read, they're basically the same thing- titanium white pigment mixed with a clay binder. Are they also the same in texture and handling? Do they both blend easily on toned paper? Is one smoother than the other or less likely to lose its point?

I ask because the local art store doesn't sell any open stock pastel pencils, but they do have some packs of white charcoal pencils. I want to know if I can get by with the white charcoal or if it's better to wait until my next online order to get the pastel.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Immortalized
dixon Ill

Hails from United States
Re: White Charcoal Pencils vs White Pastel Pencils?

White charcoal is actually white pastel or white Conte pencils. I don't think it makes much difference. I like to use white Conte myself if and when I need some white, but I don't usually use colored paper, so I let the white paper show through. So I reckon the pack of white charcoal pencils will serve you well.

Chuck

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States
Re: White Charcoal Pencils vs White Pastel Pencils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalatu
What is the difference in performance between white charcoal pencils and white pastel pencils? From what I've read, they're basically the same thing- titanium white pigment mixed with a clay binder. Are they also the same in texture and handling? Do they both blend easily on toned paper? Is one smoother than the other or less likely to lose its point?

I ask because the local art store doesn't sell any open stock pastel pencils, but they do have some packs of white charcoal pencils. I want to know if I can get by with the white charcoal or if it's better to wait until my next online order to get the pastel.

If you are referring to General's "White Charcoal" pencils - they are made of Calcium Carbonate and a binder inside a wooden (cedar) sheath. There is zero titanium white pigment in these pencils. There is zero charcoal in them ( I have never seen white charcoal so the name seems ill advised - but it's been that way for 20 years or more so.. there you go!)

White pastel - like nupastel pencils or lyra or conte and sticks from Prismacolor will have pigments in them - like titanium and often white chalk as well. On toned paper - the brightest white I have found, bar none, is the General's White Charcoal pencils. Nothing else is even in the ball park - carb-othello, nupastel, wolffs, - you name it - they are gray-ish and weak relatively. The lyra is not smooth, not bright and looks meh.. Most of these other whites will get waxy quickly and will stick to the tooth ( nupastels have a nicer, dusty stroke to them however) of the paper..

Back to your question - it all depends on what you want to do with them..

Kevin
"kevinwueste" on instagram