WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art > Digital Art Showcase
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 PM

A couple of blockheads

This is from back in the fall, so it's not as good technique-wise as some newer stuff, and the execution is uneven - I did it over a couple of weeks and the new bits are a lot better than the first ones - but people seem to like it so I figured I'd post it. I think some of the admiration is a misplaced perception of detail and work as talent and skill, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Click for huge version. Critique welcome!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: A couple of blockheads

Interesting and weird.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Interesting and weird.

Hehe. I want to do a show just so I can have one of those haughty blurbs that's like, "David's work encourages the viewer to ask questions. Usually these questions are along the lines of, "What's wrong with you?!" and "Are you seeing a psychiatrist?"."
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Awesome! I really like the idea, seems like the kind of thing I would expect to see in a children's storybook as an illustration. The noses are somewhat strange looking and that may be on purpose but they do not appear to be in the same space as the rest of the faces at all, the lighting appears inconsistent with the rest of the features which makes them very hard to read. As a whole it has a very abstract feel to it, which if played to could be even stronger, but as it stands feels very subtly disconcerting. It is almost a feeling of vertigo, and looking at it makes me feel a touch unsettled, this could a very strong piece in a page describing a very dark or evil living wall. With perhaps a touch of twisted humor. Yeah that is definitely the feel I am getting.

Great work, very well done. I hope this was the intent of the piece, as it has done it VERY well. I hope to see more soon!

Edit: And then I see your response to the previous post after having posted mine, well I guess that was the intent then! Well executed.

Delofasht
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I have kind of wondered what you're smoking.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
I have kind of wondered what you're smoking.

I'm just like this. I've been at electronic music performances and had people try to buy drugs from me,
because they figured I had to have some! The irony is that I've never done drugs, smoked, or drunk much aside from a glass of champagne with my wife on our anniversary - in fact, I've never done much that's remotely exciting at all, now that I think of it...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2014, 04:42 PM

Great drawing. I would not change a thing. To me, it even looks good without the block being complete (although there might be a balance issue with the composition if nothing else is added on the right).

The texture, value changes, and overall pencil work is excellent. The perspective is off but I don't know if that matters in the subject and style of this great and weird image. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

BTW: It's funny that I'm also always asked the same thing about what stuff I was on when I came up with my paintings. I've also have had people offer to buy drugs from me because they think I have some?? And just like you, I don't do drugs, drink or smoke at all.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb001
\I've also have had people offer to buy drugs from me because they think I have some?? And just like you, I don't do drugs, drink or smoke at all.

I guess the correct reply in those situations is, "Oh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding - I'm an artist."

You'll have to look forward for a while, by the way; the piece is as finished as it's going to get. Even if I wanted to complete it now, my technical style is different/better enough that the transition would probably be quite obvious and jarring. I'm still at the point where my output changes rapidly enough that it'll be different one piece to the next, or even beginning-to-middle. I've got a few longer term things on the cooker, but I'm trying to keep going back enough that I can keep them consistent; it'll probably be a while until things stabilize enough for it not to be an issue. But, of course, that's part of what's really fun right now...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
WC! Guide
New Jersey

Hails from United States

I love it , and as far as what your smoking, it's called life!!! I love they way your mind works. Sort of like my husband very strange, weird and otherwise different, but that's what I love about him.
Great stuff!
Barb
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Trumansberg NY.

Hails from United States

love this.