WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

A painting and drawing ellipses

I was trying to study how to draw ellipses in perspective and got quite confused. So, I sent a message to Mum (Maureen) and her explanation was really good and it totally clicked a bulb in my head. I was so excited about understanding it that I had to share it (with her permission ofc) with all of you wonderful folks. Please check out my blog for the details. (Link in my signature below)

Thanks again Mum for your explanation

Since this is the acrylics forum, I don't want to be wrong in sharing a drawing tip, so am going to include a painting I did in my 30 in 30 challenge which I did not share earlier. It gave me a lot of grief getting the values right. C&C welcome! This is on 6x6 canvas. This canvas is pretty rough and shows the texture in photographs and can be quite distracting.

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 02-03-2014 at 06:03 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
Re: A painting and drawing ellipses

bhavani.krishnan, thank you for the tip on ellipses! I'm at trying to understand sections of a sphere in perspective and this helps as one piece of a "puzzle". Another issue I am trying to grasp is to how draw the ellipse when it is tilted or rotated (not parallel to EL vertically), e.g. if you place the teacup on its side and rotate a bit so that you see the rim opening as an oval and it is at the same time not straight at your EL (e.g. below or above). Any suggestions on how to approach this one?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 AM
Enthusiast
Louisiana

Hails from United States

This is very good. Love the colorful clothing and the sand is great. Looks like one of my two great grandsons.

Only God painted perfect pictures. I enjoy them daily
I paint to have fun. Happiness is a brush in the hand with a little color on it and something to put it on.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

It's a charming painting B. Love the colours and don't mind the texture on these small canvases.

For os2013 (and you if you need it!) -

A circle has two axes, vertical and horizontal and they MUST remain ar right angles to each other ... so, if you tilt them to get the angle of the elliptical object, make sure they still remain at 90* to each other.
Visually measure the height of the object and mark your vertical axis at desired angle, then visually measure the width (use eye and pencil at arm's length if necessary) and place that at right angles to the vertical.
Carefully draw your ellipse from point to point of the axes - you'll need to practise this!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Love the painting...but I am so lost geometrically... what is the EL? I am so not good at spacial things. Of all the math courses I took, that part was what killed me...as I cannot see that type of thing in my head, and most of it reads greek to me...sigh. I get 'there' eventually, but it takes me a long time...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 04:29 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

B - so sorry your thread is getting high-jacked here - so I'll just tell people to look at the Classroom for Perspective eh?

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Thanks for the comments on the painting
Hi Mum... no problem.. I am happy to continue the discussion of ellipses in this thread.. no worries.
Susan - EL is eye level and VP is vanishing point