WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:41 PM
California

Hails from United States
What's over the ridge?

Ok, here's another desert scene. Had lots of fun with this and am happy with it. It's a watercolor 41" x 54"
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: What's over the ridge?

Blink-blink - while these paintings are pleasant works I really feel they're better suited to the Landscape forum than this one - this forum is for plants and they should be the focus of the work, not the landscape.

I shall move this to Landscapes tomorrow.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM
California

Hails from United States

How about if you just delete them and I will decide if/when I want to post in landscapes. Absolutely don't mind Maureen. Fred
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 PM
A Local Legend

maybe theres 'poppies' or 'sunflowers' over the ridge!......
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 AM
California

Hails from United States

bluefish. Poppies in the spring, you bet. California's state flower actually. Anza Borrego desert, California. Good guess.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:14 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

OK B/B. I won't move it - but I won't delete either!

Perhaps your next could concentrate on the flora? thanks .

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:32 AM
California

Hails from United States

Mums the word, as far as I'm concerned. Ha. Before it was my big mouth that got me in a bit of hot water, now the big brushes??? Ha. But you are right that this takes on more of a landscape scene and, in any case consider the suggestion well taken and appreciated. Also appreciate your time here helping out. You too Vivian.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 PM
A Local Legend

there may be a 'real cute bunny' hiding out over that ridge.....wouldn't want to delete it, would we Maureen?.....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 PM
A WC! Legend

love it
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 PM
California

Hails from United States

Bluefish!! Tisk tisk. Not on my thread please. Ha. Only one ______ on one thread. Ha. And I do believe I got here first. Ha. Pick on me, or better yet, get me a good crit on the painting. I am use to that. Had great crits in college long ago. Everyone would line their sessions work up front and the teacher and students could observe, comment and really learn. It's not negative when someone suggests something different, it's actually a real risk for them and their wanting to help you and at the same time realizing the comments might not be appreciated. Go ahead, and let me know how i can improve it. Would appreciate it.

Maryinasia....... many thankyous. Nice of you to say!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Fred, it depends how much you want the painting to look realistic and how much this is your very individual style of work.

For instance, the black 'hills' are so strong they come forward rather than receding into the distance and the very stormy sky belies the strong sunlight of the desert floor. BUT, you may well want this so crits saying how to make it more 'real' would not be of use to you.

One could also say that to send things back you need to make a foreground stronger - like have a really strong (detailed?) bush plant(s) where those twig plants are.

There are aspects of this I like a lot - the hot sandy desert, the colour of it, the fluidity of the paint. As a landscape, I like it!!!

BTW - Blue's comment is just an 'in' joke at the moment - aimed at me

**My SAA website**
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:43 PM
California

Hails from United States
Smile Re: What's over the ridge?

Well thanks Maureen. Nice of you to share your thoughts and it is helpful. Those dark mountains were the first thing painted, dividing the big white sheet in half and making the sky and foreground two connected but easily independent study attempts. And I did say, "Oh my gosh" at having mixed a blend a little darker and stronger than I though I had. But nothings worse in watercolors than to correct something so, after letting it dry a bit I was forced to charge in with a bold sky at the very least and to try and keep my late evening light that was my original intent, still a possibility. I think the foreground could have been made darker to aid in this, but then again, a further layer of dark color ( a correction) would be obvious and so I just decided to live with the fact that it will turn out just not at late in the afternoon as intended. Ha. The next attempt at this will be with one extra drink on my part, a little more gusto and bravura, I hope! Nevertheless, no one but you and I will know that I missed my mark here a little. Ha. Thanks again.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2014, 12:06 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I do think the ground has that late light

As I say to others when giving a crit - it's YOUR painting and you can do what you like with it ........ advice/comments are given to be taken or discarded! Only my opinion/suggestion

I do know what you mean about the medium, altering can cause more probs that it solves and if you are happy with it, that's really all that matters!

**My SAA website**