WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Salt Lake City

Southern Utah Retry

I got some good feedback on my previous painting of Southern Utah. Rather than make the adjustments, I decided that I would start afresh and make some design changes as well. I increased the size from 8X10 to 9X12 for the slightly different shape. Still oil on Arches Oil Paper.

I failed in one of the goals of starting the painting over. I wanted to try to dampen the chroma in the painting. This is often an objective that I fail. When I try to grey my colors, they just do not look right to my eyes.

Thanks everyone again for your suggestions. Any further ideas are welcome. Gary

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Southern Utah Retry

I don't have a lot of painting experience, but I have been known to glaze over a color with transparent color to damp it down.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Salt Lake City

Thanks UHN. I have done that in acrylics but never tried it in oils. I will test the technique on a few old paintings that have partially cured and are probably headed for the trash. Something good to learn. Gary
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 PM
A Local Legend
Southwestern Corner of Utah

Hails from United States

My eye wants to see shadows. Like along the left side of the road at the tree and the fence posts. I like this version better than the first....although I thought the first was pretty darn good.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I like this even more the second time, Gary! The colors don't look too bright or unrealistic to my eye...it has a great palette! I do wonder if a "sky hole" or two would add some lightness to the tallest tree? Other than that, this is excellent!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Salt Lake City

Thanks Sue. There were only shadows visible under the two trees. Strange as it was October and there are shadows even at noon. Perhaps I should add some to ground some of the shapes. Gary
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Worth, TEXAS

Hails from United States

Gary, this is awesome! I love how you re-worked it I really enjoy your pallet
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

I'm no colorist, but I do love the difference in scale between the giant tree and the distant house. I think it actually works quite well and looks deliberately brightened up a bit for that particular effect.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Salt Lake City

Thanks Jenna. I tried a couple "sky holes" down low and they were not convincing. I might be wrong but my lousy sky holes look worse than doing without.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Donna.

Thanks Lisa. That is the issue. If I grey the foreground, then I have to step down each layer beyond it. Pretty quick, I feel like I am painting mud. Still, some folks do it beautifully.

Thanks again, Gary
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM
WC! Guide
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

I think your colors are just fine. This is a solid painting, which is pleasing. The only thing is the lines that make up the road are too 'fast'. In other words, because the edge of the road is smooth and curvy, it causes my eye to travel too fast down the road. Perhaps, break up the lines by making them a bit more jagged, or with clumps of grass or whatever works

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Salt Lake City

Thanks for the suggestion Ron. I have been working over in my mind what to do with the road. In the redo it got modified in a way that did not help. Gary
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

This second version is an improvement on what was already a good painting. Your greyed back ground and mid ground works just fine I think. I would like to see the left side of the road edge with a deeper shadow than the right edge, also some clumps of dirt and weeds to break up the edges and the left hand group of trees would cast some shadow across the road. I know that sometimes if the sky is a bit hazy the shadows are soft but in this painting you've made the shadow side of the trees quite dark so a shadow across the road would be very plausible and would read well while slowing down the eye's travel.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Salt Lake City

Thanks TJ. I put some kinks in the road to slow the eye travel but made some mistakes experimenting with a oil based pen. Now I have to let it dry to see if I can fix it. If not, maybe another try. I have never liked reworks but a guy only has a limited number of ideas so it is tough to waste one.

Sun was pretty high, shadows short. If I start lengthening them, I may have to rethink the picture.

Gary
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Gary I don't see anything that glares out wrong. I see lots of right things. I like rich warm color and it brings the foreground foreword. You have a nice atmosphere to push the mountains back. If your road is paved you need no stones, but I think that is the only thing I might do as Ron said. More interesting. I like your palette.
Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Catherine1

I like this.. Ron and TJ both have great suggestions, but overall.. Its a really nice painting Gary.