WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Dunedin Fl

Hails from United States
Where are the White to Light backgrounds?

As an old fuddy duddy senior Scratchboard artists I wish I saw a lot more light backgrounds to scratchboards. Scratchboard is a WHITE surface not a black surface, if you are doing a Black Cat, Horse, or other subject , now what. Does a Black Jaguar not need your discipline as much as a Orange one? It reminds me of those who judge us on a painting on velvet basis and at some levels they would be right.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: Where are the White to Light backgrounds?

I am not as eloquent in writing as many others here and I hesitate to reply to dour posts. However, I would be remiss if I had not pointed out that there are numerous, wonderful works on clayboard by many of the scratchboard artists who post here. The first two that come immediately to mind are Harold Farley and Patrick Hedges. There are more. I enjoy working on them myself.

You must have missed them. A pity.

I'm curious. Is it possible that you could post your questions in a tone that does not make one feel defensive or baited? I'm sure more people would respond candidly and openly.

As you know, we all have definitions of scratchboard that don't necessarily fall in line with yours. Personally, I like the challenge of both black and white backgrounds. I like the freedom to choose how my art is represented.

Last edited by ggart4u : 01-14-2014 at 09:24 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Mount Pearl, NL, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well said Ginger!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
South Dakota

Hails from United States

Wait....What???
Ginger if this was Facebook I'd be hitting the "like" button right about now

Last edited by KrissyM : 01-14-2014 at 11:24 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Your posts are the only ones in this forum that I have ever felt defensive about. Reminds me of the time I walked into a different library and a former patron walked up to me as I stood at the circulation desk and asked "when is your library going to come into the 21st century and get automated?" Since we had been automated for over 15 years all I could think to say was "How could you NOT know we were automated?" I look so forward to helpful instruction from masters, (Queen Diana!!!), but don't need belittlement.

Ginger, you are so much better at tolerant yet direct communication than I am. I bow to you.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Mr. Old fuddy duddy. You continue to call yourself a Scratchboard artist but you have yet to show any artwork. It's a shame that you look at us through such a narrow minded and negative window that you only see what you want to see. If you would come down off your high horse you would see some very beautiful SCRATCHBOARD work here. No one needs to conform to your opinion of what scratch art is. No one here is rude and nasty to any artist that is trying to develop their creative skills and improve their understanding of this medium. Perhaps if you were not so aggressive and so intent on convincing us of your knowledge about the real Scratchboard, you might learn something about this wonderful medium. After all why would you hang around a forum that you didn't agree with or like unless you felt you could learn something useful. I don't believe that anyone here is the least bit interested in arguing with you about something you seem to know so very little about.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Tampa, FL

Hails from United States

I don't understand where you are coming from Mr. Fuddy Duddy. Is it just that you are looking for confrontation? I looked at your previous posts and in one, you mentioned "Francis Sweet" as one of the artists you consider a true scratchboard artist. So, I found his website online and had a look at his work to try to understand your perspective. But, what I found is that he most often uses a black background, not the white surface board. While most of his work is in black and white, he does occasionally add color. Color is something you criticized in the same post you said the Francis Sweet was a "real" scratchboard artist. The best artists evolve as they explore mediums, tools, surfaces and ideas. I hope you will take this opportunity to evolve and share as well. If you are just here to debate, well there is a forum for that as well on Wetcanvas, but it is not here on the scratchboard forum.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM
WC! Guide
Northern California

Hails from United States

Everyone has already replied with thoughts in line with mine, so I won't bother to repeat. However, when you ask about the discipline required to draw a black jaguar, you have to look no further than Lesley Barrett's elegant beast.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...53632721347358

Of course a black animal requires as much thought as an orange one, however, it may not require as many scratches to create that dark image, but maybe it does - it all depends.

Scratchboard has evolved immensely and there is nothing at all wrong with using black boards and leaving a black background, although you seem to think so. I love the mood that a black board creates!

Inviting discussion is one thing, Dennis, but your tone really makes it difficult to have a positive interaction. Maybe you don't mean it the way it comes across, but we're all having the same reaction to your posts, so that makes me think it's you, not us.

Web Site - Pet Portraits - Facebook

Last edited by PaintDog : 01-14-2014 at 08:23 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Immortalized
Colorado for time being

Hails from United States

Are you kidding me? You're asking other Artist to create the images you wish to see? Sounds like a commission to me..... Lets talk! If you want to see more light BG's .... Its simple..... create them, I do.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2014, 05:52 AM
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Well Dennis, I found some of your work online and it's good so why not post it here and then you can come from a point of credibility.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Long Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Well said everyone.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 AM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

I thought that maybe I'd approach this from a different angle. Mr Logsdon, I understand that you have been involved in scratch art for many years and during those years the working surfaces you created your art on changed many times. You are quite proud that you still have some of the surfaces that you enjoyed working on yet you are very critical of our chosen work surface. I don't understand why you chose to come to this forum if it was only to abuse and criticize how we create our artwork. Perhaps if your work surfaces were better than what we prefer and still available maybe I might try one. But I doubt that they come close to Ampersand's boards. If your technique is better than mine, not your artwork, but how you go about creating your art, then I would love to learn from you. However, your antagonistic demeanor so far prevents me from caring anything about the vast wealth of knowledge you should have gathered over the years. This is the last response to your posts that I will waste my time writing unless you offer them in a more respectful positive manner. Harold Farley Scratchboard Artist.

Last edited by Garbonzo : 01-15-2014 at 11:16 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Again, Sir Harold, well said. Personally, I'm not going to read posts anymore that will irritate in an area of joyous creativity.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2014, 01:18 AM

That is why computers have scroll buttons. Just move past it. It does not even justify a response since obviously the intent is to stir the pot as they say. So my response is........What post??
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Dunedin Fl

Hails from United States

Sorry my post was taken so negative, it was not meant to be.
It is not that I have not seen the light side and admire much of it. Only about 30% of my work is done on the light side thou I do more now because of the great working range of Claybord versus Essdee and other boards.
I thought I said I just would like to see more so the range of the medium would be more pressed but still like it could not have been done any other way. In Strokes of Genius 3 for example there are 9 Scratchboards and 8 of the 9 are white from black only. Only 1 shows it may or was done the prelay out black line method. There is no airbrush, no washs,
I,ll try and not be doing my bills and having to much wine the next time I post, take care.