WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Thumbs up NEW Caran d'Ache Museum Aquarelle Pencils!

I just found out last week that Caran d'Ache, who made the first Aquarelle pencils back in 1931, have a brand new LINE of pencils called Museum Aquarelle. I just got mine in a couple of days ago and they are 100% soluble in water, and highly lightfast. The company first developed their Museum leads, which were the inside 'leads' that they sold with a mechanical type pencil to hold them, and from that this new line of pencils has been born. There are 76 colors, they are hexagonal so they don't roll off your desk!

I have tried them out to make color charts for my colored pencil site, and they simply explode with color when a wet brush is added. I just passed a wet brush over the color ONCE for my charts. You can carry the pencils anywhere, without fear of tipping over a palette of paint on someone's sofa for example. They layer beautifully and are transparent. I was going to wait to post a painting to show you, but Kristy Kutch did one and it is on my home page. Her new book discusses these.

I first discovered Caran d'Ache aquarelle pencils back in 1986, having only used Prismacolors before that, and remember the moment so very clearly, like I do the assination of JFK and 911! It was that amazing to me...the magic of water on colored pencils that brightens the colors and makes them melt in the paper. So as much as I loved the Supracolor II line by Caran d'Ache, I did not really think they could be improved. But these really do simply melt onto the page with one swipe of the brush. They are a new milestone in achieving true watercolors in a pencil form. Most have a 5-star lightfast rating to boot, the highest, and can withstand light for 100 years or more, hence the name 'Museum'! Truly they are capable of works for museums or in clients homes and offices.

I have only just scratched the surface of what I might be able to do with these. I am so excited about them!!! Beginning watercolor artists often get discouraged because their paint runs together and makes a pile of grey paint, but with these pencils, anyone can paint super detailed brightly colored paintings. The colors are so gorgeous!!

Last edited by HarvestMoon : 10-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: NEW Caran d'Ache Museum Aquarelle Pencils!

Wow Linda! You're going to have fun with those.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:30 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks Doug!

Working on a little painting with them, they dissolve 100% instantly. Comparing them to Supracolor II s for example, Scarlett in that line is a bit orangey, and has a 2 star lightfast rating. The new Scarlett in Museum is the most brilliant pure red and has a 4 star rating.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

THANKS LINDAY for your review and taking the time to post this. THey look FABULOUS! I glanced at your website and saw the pic that Kristy did, it's fantastic and rich in color. I'm sorely tempted....

Darla
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks Darla, to my knowledge, they are true watercolors in pencil form, quite unique! Mine are my Christmas present!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

They do look beautiful, Linda... I have a set of Faber Castell's and I've been very disappointed with them. Now, I'm a little leery of buying another set of pencils. Please keep us posted with your results and perhaps share a few of your paintings!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Indiana

Hails from United States

These look very interesting. Can't wait to see some samples Linda!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Char, me too...that is why I hesitate on buying anymore pencils; the others just don't flow or blend well.

Darla
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2013, 01:56 AM

I have a set of Caran d'Ache Neocolor II crayons and I am wondering if anyone has compared the new watercolor pencils with the crayons? It sounds like the colors and handling qualities are similar. I wonder if they just put the crayon material in a wooden casing. The Neocolor IIs melt with a little water so you can either rub the paper with crayon then wet the paper or you can touch a wet brush to the crayon and use it like paint. Very intense colors. Similar to Inktense pencils.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2013, 10:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

The pencils are totally different from the neocolor crayons! The leads by themselves are hard, not soft, and neocolors are opaque, so light colors show up on top of dark colors. The Museum Aquarelles are a true watercolor, and are transparent, so you can use many layers. They are closest to their water soluble pencils called Supracolor IIs, but improved in color, lightfast rating, and solubility. But the Neocolors are fun and colorful to be sure!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

What are four hues which are duplicates ? to me museum awuarelle is not hard when i know some brands. and somehow prefer their feeling more than suopracolor ii. but is nice have some colours what are before these missing form caran d'ache range now... when i look whole range i think i not much missing if i can mix good pink. rarely needed hue but still. and superpink is impossible mix i know but natural ones very likely is archived about 66% white with 350 33%...
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

The box set has duplicates for white, black, yellow, and red as well as drawing pencils.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM

These look exciting. I'm sorely tempted, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before these are made available in the form of rectangular sticks (like Daniel Smith's Watercolor Sticks---which are priced rather appallingly, IMO), and that's something I'd truly be interested in obtaining. While I love pencils, I wonder how long each of these will last, being as the cedar casing comprises so much of the product. I have a set of Staedtler watercolor pencils, which like most, are NOT entirely water-soluble. I also have a number of (now discontinued) Stabilo Tone crayons, which are fat, stubby, wood encased watercolor pencils. These ARE very water-soluble, though not always entirely. They are however, for the most part, rather opaque, and can appear somewhat dull once dry. What excites about the new Caran d'ache pencils is the way all the most desirable aspects (complete solubility, transparency, and good lightfastness) are present. If the color selection is good, I could see using these for location sketching instead of the pans I currently use. Has anyone tried the Daniel Smith watercolor sticks? If so, what do you think? Worth the price?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

I have tried the Daniel Smith watercolor sticks. They are not to draw with unless you wet them, but even then I don't like attempting to draw with them. They are like very long half pans, you must wet them and use a brush to paint with them.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Thank you for the great review, Linda!
Sooo tempting!

Cheers, Anne