WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Glazing

Hello everyone. I'm getting back into painting and have decided to master the art of Acrylic glazing.

My biggest question is which paint is best for glazing. I'm trying to decide between...

1. Golden Open Acrylics
2. Golden Fluid Acrylics
3. Golden Heavy Body Acrylics
4. Liquiex Soft Body Acrylics

Any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Farmingville, NY

Hails from United States
Re: Glazing

I have heard great things about the fluid acrylics but I have never used them. I like using the golden acrylics glazing liquid and the heavy body acrylics together.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:58 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

I use Liquitex Heavy Body with their glazing medium and it works for me, but I work in a somewhat less than traditional way.

David

My blog: DAVID KING STUDIO
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Hails from Germany

I think, the glazing medium is more important than the paint.
Maybe it is a good idea to first choose the medium, that fits your needs and use it with the paint you have. Then you'll see, if you need another paint.
Any good paint will do, preferably transparent paint, if you think of the percentage of paint in glazing medium, if you paint in thin subtle layers.
But I guess, you don't need the Golden Open especially for that purpose, they are thinned with medium and water anyhow.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

I use Liquitex Heavy bodied acrylics with their gloss medium and varnish and it works beautifully. You can add as much or as little paint to the medium as you need for the glazing. I glaze my animal portraits several times during the painting giving more depth to the fur.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

I use Golden Fluids with Golden Gloss Glazing Medium (all personal preference). Application can the tricky part. I like synthetic brushes, sponges, cloth, saran wrap. Whatever it takes to do the job. Just a personal observation.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ĺrhus

Hails from Denmark

Goldens makes a glazing medium. It works well with both heavy and open. I could never get it to work well with the fluids, but that may be me. Actually, I used more gloss medium than glazing medium. You have to check the label of whatever medium you use - glazing, soft gel, gloss medium... some of these can be thinned a ton, but others say no more than 25% or 50% compared to the actual paint and / or paint and water. If you thin your pigment too much, it can not bond on the surface and will flake off when you try to paint another layer on top.

Heavy are quick drying. Opens stay wet a day or two and are easier to make smooth, gentle blends, because you can still move the paint around.

One or two glazes will work in acrylics, but not more. Light goes through to next layer and comes back at you,. But the layers are plastic, and acting as plastic, they do not have real transparency, even when adding mediums. Oils are transparent, and become more transparent over time, so there is much more glazing possibilities; many more layers, more subtle.... I do not say you should not use acrylics. I used acrylics for 25 years, LOVED them, but when I really needed to glaze I needed to switch to oils.

http://www.artallison.com/