WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States
The Hobbies of Artists

I recently took up a hobby after years of not having one, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I think that having a hobby gives a person a little respite from the work of even art. My new hobby is creating orchidariums. That is a terrarium whose main plants are orchids, bromeliads and so on. I guess if you live in Florida or a warm, humid place, this would not be interesting, but I am in the desert southwest, and working out how to get the proper combination of heat, light, air movement, and humidity is a real task. In a year or two I would like to build a large orchidarium with a background of sculpted rocks, a waterfall and so on.

I guess some people would say an art job (artist) is enough of both a job and a hobby, and there is no need to release the stress of the job. But for an artist not to have other interests is to limit him or her. Truly there are stress releaving activities like swimming or exercise, but I'd like to know about the hobbies of artists here.

So do you have a hobby like building model trains or sewing outfits or woodworking? I will bet intelligent and creative people like the people here have a number of interests, not just art. Obviously, art can be a hobby too, and there are many people here who work elsewhere and do their art as a hobby. But I guess specifically, I would like to hear about "other" hobbies artists might have.

Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:21 AM
olive oyl

Re: The Hobbies of Artists

Yay. Something to talk about.

As I’ve said before around here, I’m a pretty boring person because of being so single-minded about art. Whatever leisure or extra time I find - Fri, Sat, Sun only - it’s scheduled for painting. When I started yoga 8 years ago, it (literally) changed my life. It connected me to my body (which sounds weird) by making me stronger and more flexible; and connected me to my emotions by recognizing more of what’s good about life; and connected me to my mind by showing me how to quiet the racket and find more peace. Really, there hasn’t been anything about it that’s been frustrating or annoying or discouraging or negative. It’s ALL good. I don’t know what I’d do without it because its changed me in more ways than painting has. It feels “bigger” than painting and has added something…vital. I suppose all that makes it more than a mere hobby, though.

Hmmm…is there anything else, Olive? Anything at all?

I like to read. Is that a hobby?

If I could make “sleeping good” a hobby, I would attempt that.

Otherwise, that’s all she wrote.

Yawn.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Arizona

Hails from United States

Yes, hobbies do make for a more well rounded life, even if one loves their job. Besides, art as a job isn't all creating and having fun; there is a business side to it, too. Not everyone enjoys that side.

Guess you could say my hobbies are gardening and bird watching, neither of which I do in a big way, but it's fun. Also like to ice skate, and though I haven't done it since I was younger, play ice hockey.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

my art side is definitely dominant ... painting, writing, photography, basking on the deck, absorbing ideas from the air, the view.

bar tending is my hobby, it socializes me and i need that so as not to become a hermit.

i did buy a metal detector, back when the ground was still frozen ... i still haven't made the time to actually go out and use it, but that's my other planned hobby ... treasure hunting the beaches.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast

Are activities like walking the dog (while observing things that might turn into an artistic subject) or reading novels hobbies in the sense that you mean? Cooking?

There is a difference to me between a hobby like creating orchidariums, on the one hand, and reading or walking on the other. There is a real focus to your orchidarium project, with goals and creative outcomes. Walking or reading novels don't always have that dimension, though they can.

In fact, for someone like Robert Sloan, who is a pastel artist and a fiction writer, is either a hobby? What makes a secondary creative undertaking, like creating orchidariums, a hobby and what makes it not a hobby in the artist's life?

Last edited by fritzie : 09-10-2013 at 03:57 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Hillsboro, Ohio

Hails from United States

I garden...we are currently downsizing our 13 flower beds. We also grow veggies and can. I knit, crochet and make jewelry. I love watching EBAY for bargains.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

I restore classic British motorcycles.

Here's my most recent one:
old accustomed ways.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

How lovely to hear about your hobby.

I had to think hard actually, I don't have anything really unusual or specific, but I do love to bake cakes, not your run of the mill Victoria sandwich cake, but HUGE three tier gateaux's. For some reason I get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction during the process, they have to look top notch, mouthwatering...the sort you would readily pay money for! and they taste amazing...really!

Some of my favorites are rich dark chocolate cake, carrot cake, Pecan pie,...all extra large size. The best part is sharing them, (I am easily pleased) knowing that people are going to think, my god that crazy woman that wears rags, and is covered in paint, can bake cakes! so I give a large portion of them away... to the cleaner, to the guys that chop trees that pass by my house, I rush out with plastic bags full of cake, I am sure that's why they are always chopping and pruning the trees near where I live!

My other source of pleasure...is reading...I love to read, not sure you could call that a hobby, but its what I like doing more than anything else in the world, apart from painting. I have just ordered the latest Margaret Atwood book (I love 'The Handmaids Tale') and once immersed in a book, I am transported to my own world, and can just let hours drift by transfixed to a great story!

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Studio on 7th Street

Hails from United States

Great topic, Catherine .
I'm with La, using the "job" as a hobby- the job itself would be drudgery if the relationships with the coworkers and customers weren't so much fun, but they are.
Also, more due to being the (ahem) first daughter (not oldest )of a large Italian-American family, I can cook for an army and I (and the family) enjoy my cooking.

...wish I could dig up the article, but years ago, long before all the "cake boss"-esque shows lit up the airwaves, I entered a sculpted cake into the Pennsylvania state fair cake decorating contest & won first place (money & the blue ribbon)....now "everyone's" doing it .

Since hubby is Cookie Monster in disguise, one of the hobbies is making desserts, candies...all the stuff a healthy diet avoids .
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM
A Local Legend
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I don't really have non-creative hobbies I'm afraid. Makes me feel like a freak. Music has now become a hobby. It was once my livelihood. That's okay with me though. I play drums with my brother and friends once a month. We are all great musicians gone bad. LOL!

I fiddle with the guitar a bit. I was never great on that in the first place.

I'm also a writer. Been working on a novel for 3 years.

Then there are the Artists' books. I guess that is not a hobby. Scratch that.

I never have any time to read, but if I did, I'd read the 11-book stack next to my bed, which runs a wide range of fiction, philosophy, psychology, art crit, marketing, nonfiction, and humor.

Film. I make sure I see a film once a month, usually a doc or an independent. A few days ago I saw "Good ol' Freda" which was excellent.

Gardening, but usually when the garden starts looking really bad, then I'll spend a few days out there. Then I spend a week or two paying for it, physically.

I like Scrabble. I've never lost a game yet. Wait, that's not true. When it's timed I do.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Immortalized
Buckeye living with the Gators

Hails from United States

I don't have stress from a job since I am retired but I do have plenty of hobbies. I crochet, knit cross stitch and recently took up tatting. I also like photography and gardening but my main hobby is genealogy. The research takes as much time as you want to put into it. It has been interesting and I met some new cousins (new to me) along the way. Also discovered a few surprises. I am having fun and that is what a hobby is for. I like being a hobbyist... that's my new career.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM
olive oyl

Well, it looks like I'm now going to have a lot more leisure time for hobbies, and painting and yoga and reading.

I just got laid off!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2013, 03:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

oh my i honestly don't know whether to or or just

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
A Local Legend
Costa Rica

Hails from Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive oyl
Well, it looks like I'm now going to have a lot more leisure time for hobbies, and painting and yoga and reading.

I just got laid off!

Lucky You!...seriously, hope your not too upset.

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 PM
olive oyl

La and Katie: Thanks and yeah, I'm sort of reeling, but not TOO wildly.

I've worked there 8 years, and it's been tough financially for them over the past few. They've let go about 5 other people since the beginning of the year so, not a total surprise. As soon as the boss said, "come in and close the door," I said "oh oh" and he said, "you can hear it in my voice, right?" And then he said "f*ck this" and it wasn't performance and he fought for me for as long as could and we were friends and blah and blah. I took it like a little trouper. Made some jokes, made him feel it was okay and you know...it REALLY is. They're a good group - mostly women - except for the three guys who make all the decisions. If they could knock off say, 10K each of their 140K salaries (boss 400K), they could keep me for half of what they pay me now. Haha...silly me. There's no way I'm THAT valuable to them! Anyway, they'll miss me (prediction) because my work load will be redistributed and foisted onto already stressed and overworked staff. It sucks I have only 4 days to "clean out" 8 years of brain data, though. Can't do it in that little time and so, I'll walk away with lots of useless secrets and they'll have to reinvent the wheel trying to figure it all out.

Oh well. Thanks for allowing a rant and a vent.

It's done and surprisingly, I feel fine.

Already moving on.....