WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM
Spanbroek (The Netherlands)

Hails from Netherlands
The Observer (Finished for OC)

Hi,

Just finished my painting, any critique, opinions and comments highly appreciated!

2013, Oil on Linen, 50x70cm

digital alterations also appreciated

Thank you! Edith PS could not post in the OC forum, error uploading

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Dana Design

Re: The Observer (Finished for OC)

VERY good! LOve the detail you've put in here. The color of the shirt really makes this painting pop and it's beautifully painted (as is his hair). All very well done.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Boynton Beach, Fl. 33437

Hails from United States

The painting is beautifully done. that item that appears to look like a target is distracting and it wouldn't hurt to eliminate it. It adds nothing to this beautiful piece.

Boynton Beach, Fl.FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2008834&id=1336767036&l=a57d27ae4c[/font]
/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

haha, wonderful story, well painted!
the 'target' is a map of the sky and adds a tremendous amount to the story.
love the spider addition

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Paradise, Florida

Lovely. IEspeciallyLikeYourRenderingOfTheBark. Nice.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

quality work. Nice job.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Spanbroek (The Netherlands)

Hails from Netherlands

Thank you all for your feedback! It's really helpful.
I'm also glad to hear your comment, Phil, that you saw the piece of paper as a target. I never thought of it that way, but will keep your comment in mind and try to think of how something can be perceived.
Actually, it is close to what la said. Within yoga philosophy it is said that our energy, seen from above, looks like circles placed within one another. So actually this sleeping or meditating man looked through the telescope and saw not only the universe but at the same time his own energy reflected. Well, at least that was my interpretation when I made it
I cannot leave out the piece of paper with the circles for that reason, but will take all comments with me
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Genelle, BC

Hails from Canada

This painting is fun to look at and makes one think about it; my initial thoughts were the fellow was simply too tired to stay up and see what he initially came after. Then I enjoyed moving around the piece to see all you had to offer. Very well painted. Re: the target / map. Wondered if the value/tone might be a little darker as if shadows are cast on it. It might change the shape from a lighter downward arrow and make the object more subdued. It's a beautifully painted piece of paper, however, and maybe shouldn't be messed with. It is interesting that the darkest/lightest values lie at his lap with the book and that this is almost centered in the painting. You've pulled it off though, I think.