WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Lightbulb May 3rd WDE- Images Here!!!!!!

Welcome to the May 3rd, 2013 Weekend Drawing Event! We will be visiting California mountains, Idaho, Florida and the Bahamas through the seasons.

I will be posting 16 images.
Please wait until all are uploaded before commenting - thank you.

You have 30 minutes to make your choice and choose your materials - you may use any medium.

For the next two hours, just go for it……then STOP!, scan or photograph your work and post it in your own new thread with your title, beginning with WDE, plus date, plus title.

When you introduce your work, please add a description of size, medium, support (paper, canvas etc) and time taken.
If your work is digital, we'd appreciate a description of whether it's freehand drawing/painting, manipulated image or done using the filters available in some programs - you could also say which program you've used.
All are acceptable but we'd like to know the "hows, whys and wherefores"!!

Use WIP for any work in progress at the 2 hour mark, and MI for multiple images if other works are to be added before the following Monday.

NB. To avoid forum flooding, please put all of your work during the weekend, for the current WDE, into a single thread: multiple threads will be merged!
From the following TUESDAY, you may open a new thread for later work.

You have the whole week to participate - until the next WDE starts (usually Friday). If you finish a piece after that time, just add it to your next WDE thread and don't forget the original date.
After posting your contribution, please view others’ entries and comment and encourage when you can. Unless requested, please refrain from critiquing.

Off we go!

Photo 1) A walk through the Fall colors. Snake River Park, Idaho. Larger Image Here

Photo 2) We were freezing walking the mountain towns in Nev. in the Fall so we stopped in this coffee house for some warm beverages. This musician was playing in the old mining town of Virginia City where the famous Comstock silver and gold veins were discovered. Larger Image Here

Photo 3) Hiking along the Snake River near Twin Falls, Idaho in Autumn I came upon this scene. The colors are not enhanced, they were magical. Larger Image Here

Photo 4) We visited the Ghost Town of Bodie on our visit in the Fall to see the kids in Eastern California where we found this old beauty rusting away in the dying grass. In 1859 William (a.k.a. Waterman) S. Bodey discovered gold near what is now called Bodie Bluff. A mill was established in 1861 and the town began to grow. It started with about 20 miners and grew to an estimated 10,000 people by 1880! By then, the town of Bodie bustled with families, robbers, miners, store owners, gunfighters, prostitutes and people from every country in the world. At one time there was reported to be 65 saloons in town. Among the saloons were numerous brothels and 'houses of ill repute', gambling halls and opium dens - an entertainment outlet for everyone. On a daily basis miners would emerge from the mills and head for the bars and the red light district to spend their earnings. The mixture of money, gold and alcohol would often prove fatal. Newspapers report that towns people would ask in the mornings; Have a man for breakfast? Meaning 'Did anyone get killed last night?' Some records show that a Wm. Body took a ship from New York, around the horn to end up in San Francisco. It isn't clear if that's the same man who was prospecting near present day Bodie. In any case, the spelling of the name was changed at some point before the majority of the people made their way to Bodie, and it stuck. Today, even though Bodie is down a dusty, bumpy, slow 13 mile long road off of State Highway 395, it's amazing how many people are aware of this once glorious town. Approximately 100 buildings still stand in a state of arrested decay. Larger Image Here

Photo 5) Bishop Creek in Autumn. Hot colors and cold glacial mountain waters flowing down Bishop Creek, Sierra Nevada Mountains, Ca. Larger Image Here

Photo 6) The day after our trip to Bodie, Winter arrived in the Owens Valley, Ca. The mountains in the background are the Sierra Nevada Mtns. This valley was my home for almost 20 years before we moved to the Bahamas. Larger Image Here

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker

Last edited by lisilk : 05-03-2013 at 01:04 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Re: May 3rd Wde- Images Here!!!!!!

Photo 7) Male peacock checking me out and none too pleased about me interrupting his nap. Everglades national Park, Fla. Winter looks a little different in the Everglades! Larger Image Here

Photo 8) A wee endangered Key Deer in Spring. Driving on a side road on Big Pine Key in Florida we came upon two itty bitty adult deer and pulled the car over. The cutest things I've ever seen, they stood about 3 feet tall. This deer can be recognized by its characteristic size, smaller than all other white-tailed deer. The shoulder height of Key deer is between 24-32 inches. Does weigh 45 to 65 pounds while bucks weigh 55 to 80.
The Key deer is believed to be a subspecies of white-tailed deer which migrated to the Florida Keys from the mainland over a land bridge during the Wisconsin glaciation. The earliest known written reference to Key deer comes from the writings of Hernando de Escalante Fontaneda, a Spanish sailor shipwrecked in the Florida Keys and captured by Native Americans in the 1550s. Recent population estimates put the population between 300 and 800, putting it on the list of endangered species. Road kills from drivers on U.S. 1, which traverses the deer's small range, are also a major threat, averaging between 30 and 40 kills per year, 70% of the annual mortality. However, the population has made an encouraging rise since 1955, when population estimates ranged as low as 25, and appears to have stabilized in recent years. Still, recent human encroachment into the fragile habitat and the deer's relatively low rate of reproduction point to an uncertain future for the speciesLarger Image Here

Photo 9) The African Queen! Total movie geek moment! We were driving back through Key Largo and saw a sign to visit the actual African Queen boat from the John Huston/ Humphrey Bogart movie. We got to ride in it and steer it. My arse sat where Katherine Hepburns arse sat! So cool. The African Queen, the iconic original vessel from the classic film of the same name, is plying nearshore waters and canals in the Florida Keys again. Keys sailing charter operators Lance and Suzanne Holmquist inked an agreement with the 100-year-old boat's owner and invested to restore the boat that carried Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn to movie history. The boat was originally brought to Key Largo in 1983 and restored then, but has languished as an out-of-the-water display for the past 11 years. It has since been lovingly restored, including the acquisition of the same engine as the original, built in 1894. Magic. Larger Image Here

Photo 10) Green turtle rising. San Salvador. I only added this in to prevent all the whining I get whenever I don't put a turtle in!!!! Larger Image Here

Photo 11) January in the Bahamas. I got to go out to a rarely visited, uninhabited tiny cay or island off of our island of San Salvador, Bahamas with a researcher and the views were stunning. Larger Image Here

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Re: May 3rd Wde- Images Here!!!!!!

Photo 12) Under-grad student Sarah taking data as we researched a new cave. Loved the light on her. Jan, 2013 was the first time I have been into this cave and I've been on San Salvador Island for years. It was first discovered 2 years ago. This year it took me 4 days to reopen the trail, lots of growth and downed trees after the hurricane and rainy season. I was helping a biologist to collect wee itty-bitty brittle starfish that were discovered here on one of his first explorations of the cave. In April I took another researcher (Devin) in to map the cave with his assistant Sarah. The cave is very humid and my camera did not like it so it was hard to get clear photos. It is extremely exciting to be one of only a few people who have ever been in to this cave. On this trip we found a new room in the cave! Larger Image Here

Photo 13) Rusty bucket. Loved all of the colors and textures in this simple scene from Bodie. (See photo 4 for Bodie info.) Larger Image Here

Photo 14) Legend. This dog was awesome. I spotted him on a side street in Key West. He was not in a fenced yard or on a leash. His master had clearly gone out for a while and told him to STAY, and stay he did. He was anxiously waiting for his masters return because he looked at me from either side of that post but he never moved, paws up on the railing so the chair looks a little like a top hat. Beautiful beast! His name tag fits him well. Larger Image Here

Photo 15) Original trains from the gold rush days, lovingly restored in Va. City. The Comstock Lode is one of the most important mining discoveries in American history, in output and in significance. It was the first major silver discovery in United States history: of the total ore taken out from the district, best estimates are that 57 per cent was silver, yet it was a considerable gold camp, given that the remaining 42 per cent was of that metal. Certainly it is the most dramatic event in Nevada's nineteenth century history, and, without it, Nevada could not have attained statehood when it did. The initial discovery was in 1859, and soon the "Rush to Washoe" was in full swing. For the next twenty years the Comstock was the dominating event in Nevada history, and for that matter, of considerable importance in American history. In total, we are told that from 1859 until 1882, the official amount taken out of the Comstock was $305,779,612.48.Larger Image Here

Photo 16) Key West in Springtime. There are hundreds of these beautiful gingerbread/Victorian homes, most with pots full of blooming flowers, all over the village. Larger Image Here

Intro Photo- Larger Image Here

Your Challenges (always an option not requirement):
1) Graphic novel style- think moody comic book, strong black lines, bold flat colors, atmospheric.
2) Mixed media or collage just because you know I love cutting stuff up and gluing!

We are having an Animal Neuter and Spay Clinic here at the station this weekend starting this morning so I will be running back and forth to check on everyones paintings. Thanks to BAARK of Nassau (Bahamian Alliance for Animal Rights and Kindness) for coming once a year to help give veterinary aid to our island!

Have fun!!!!!!!!

Li

Last edited by eyepaint : 05-05-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: fix link to ril for bucket
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: May 3rd WDE- Images Here!!!!!!

Thanks Li, stunning photos as always,
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Lord of the Arts
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Stunning pics.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 AM
WC! Guide
Westbroek, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Gorgeous photos! Thanks Li

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Enthusiast
Bilthoven

Hails from Netherlands

Great pictures! Thank you!!

Follow my blog: http://kittysartencrafts.blogspot.nl/
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Kitty69
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Ohio

Hails from United States

Stunning photos - will try to get one done

my website: www.janpastor.com
Jan Pastor on YouTube
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 05:57 AM
A Local Legend
bournemouth dorset

Hails from United Kingdom

Hey Li wonderful photo's thankyou,i started one a couple of days ago,glad you included it in your wde photo's but i have saved another.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

I hope to find time this weekend; grabbed a couple and just happen to be working on adding color to another oldie from you Li, bikes on the beach

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM
A Local Legend
2001 transplant to NC USA

Hails from United States

yum yum yum................................my cup runneth amok!!
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Fabulous pictures!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
WC! Guide
Regina, Saskatchewan CANADA

Hails from Canada

great photos, hope to find a spot of time this wknd

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” RIL, Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting in Feb 2017. Sign up in the Schedule thread here .
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Garden City, S.C.

Hails from United States

So many choices!!! Wonderful postings. Thanks....
fred

C & C always appreciated !
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 AM
A Local Legend
Burlington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

These photos are stunners Li!!! Thanks for hosting and providing these gorgeous refs.