WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Florals and Botanical
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
The Plant Parade: A Forum Project, May, 2013

Welcome to the Wonderful World of the Tulip. . .BUT, we are going to paint only the Parrot Tulip that started in the1630’s! A bit of history before we begin:

Parrot Tulips:
· Really resemble the Parrot : flamboyant flowers, with their curled, twisted and wavy petals
· Sometimes streaks or stripes of different colors on same petal and looks like a hallucinating modern sculpture designed them
· In the 1600’s, a mosaic virus carried by aphids (very common in the gardens during that time) infected the Tulip
· During Tulipmania (these became the most expensive of all the Tulips-half a king’s ransom, perhaps) (The sudden ending of the Tulip market was horrific for the ones that had bought and could not sell)
· In the1900’s, the virus was isolated, but the weirdness is bred into the ParrotTulip!! How wonderful that science could retain the striking characteristics, while removing the disease

Okay, now that you have been introduced to this Wild and Crazy Tulip, the PARROT TULIP, the guidelines:

· Reveal date: May 25th ONLY!
· Use any medium to get these beauties ready for the reveal date!
· Design the creation by making it personally yours! (None of the petals are ‘normal’, so you cannot make a mistake!! )
· Use the refs that I have or your own!
· Let us know if you have any refs of the Parrot Tulip in the RIL, we might want to use them!
· Share your discoveries and setbacks, but do not show your work until the 25th!!
HAVE FUN!!!!

Thanks, Vschafer:
Larger image: Here
Thanks, vestalqueen:
Thanks, Katherine_T:
Thanks, ironhorse:

Thanks, Moni26:
Thanks, firebrush:
Thanks, stalksthedawn:
Thanks, Olga:
Thanks, DorothyC:
Thanks, Katherine_T:
Thanks, ironhorse:
Thanks, geckonia:
I have included a lot of refs because I wanted you to see how many variations there are with the Parrot Tulip. . .and this is only the beginning!! Enjoy the month!!
Hugs, Katherine

Last edited by Antiqueteacher : 04-30-2013 at 10:55 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 AM
Enthusiast
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: The Plant Parade: A Forum Project, May, 2013

Wow - these are amazing - had no idea tulips came in so many varieties.

http://www.bjranous.weebly.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 AM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Oh goody Parrot Tulips! Dont think weve done that one before!
Thanks so much Katherine, should be an exciting and interesting month.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Island off west coast of Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi everyone,

I have not done acrylics or flowers for over 20 years and am new back at it.... and also have never taken part in this category before. Glad to be here and meet you all.

I have never heard of these parrot tulips, they are all so unique and everyone so totally different from the others, I just don't understand how they can figure out that they all belong to one parrot tulip family.

Anyhow, I think I am going to give it a whirl and see if I can manage to tackle and complete a painting, have picked one flower out already. This should be fun.
Gail
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Beautiful B.C.

Hails from Canada

Well I'll be, don't believe it, I almost did these myself Katherine. I went back and forth between these and the Pansies!!!...
These Parrot Tulips have been my favorite flower for over 30 years.
I first saw them in my grammas garden, she had a love for them from when she was a child in England.
I grew them for many years, and now they are finally becoming more available to all.
Arn't they just the most Gorgeous Flower, and when they open right up and flatten out you shoud see the colors that stand out inside.
Wonderful, I'm happy, you have some great refs, and most of the colors. Excellent choice I'm happy

Was going to add, it's hard to find references of these flowers that are Free to use CC, so if anyone has some pictures of any of these that are more open showing the center part I sure would be interested if they care to share them. I'm especially looking for the Black Parrot (second one from the bottom is a Black Parrot)...... But, I love all the colors.... Thanks

Last edited by Sharrm : 05-01-2013 at 04:49 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Looks like fun, Kathleen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

My favorite tulip! This will be special, Katherine! FUN!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

Hi Katherine, love the tulip photos and will try them this month too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
A WC! Legend
South of Boston, MA

Hails from United States

Lovely "parrots" - They should be lots of fun to paint. Thanks for the references, all of them Think I'll start early this time...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

WHEEEEE!!! Welcome one and all!! This is going to be a fun month!!

Barbara, Viv, Jean, Lil, thanks for checking this out and joining in. . .really I only touched the surface with the refs as Shar was saying!

Kay, do you grow these? Our friend, Greta, was going to take us to the Tulip Farm in New Mexico, but we never got there. . . Did you get to go?

Shar, I did not find a black flat one, but you might check out 'ironhorse' and see the other one that she posted. Yes, there are tons of refs out there, but they do have a copyright stamped on them, too. I even contacted one artist and am still waiting for her to contact me! Cannot believe you thought of doing this flower last month. . .see, we are sisters-in-art and thought! The more I read and looked, the more in love I became with this group of Tulips!

Gail, welcome back!! We are so glad that you hooked up with us. . .get ready for a 'ride'!! I have been with this group for 4 years and have enjoyed every one of the challenges!! Drop by the Greenies Room, too, for a chat or two!! (That invite is for all of you, Peeps, you know!! )

Paula, glad to hear that you are going to start early. . .I hope to join you on that recommendation!! I have been in a slump, so that is going to inspire me that you are going to dive right in!! Thanks!!

Hugs, Katherine
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Trenton, NJ

Hails from United States

Very cool! I have some tulip pictures, but I don't think they're parrots...I'll have to look again. If I find any parrot tulip pictures, I'll post them...

...to glorify God in my own small way by trying to show the beauty He created.
Check out my web site!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

I have grown them before but now don't have any due to the ongoing drought. No, I've not seen the ones in NM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

I enjoyed last month's pansy challenge so much that I'm back! Besides, flowers are one of my favorite things-not just to paint, but really one of my favorite things. These are beautiful reference photos and Parrot Tulips are the type I like best, so we'll see just how I can do at painting one.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Katherine - After looking at your beautiful ref photos, I began to realise that I hadn't seen the Parrot Tulips in my (very large country garden) for a while.
For a few years actually when I think about it! So whats happened to them I have no idea...birds?...rabbits?...possoms?.. (rabbits & possoms love tulip bulbs) who knows!
It's bulb planting time for us here in the Southern Hemisphere, so you've inspired me to buy some more Parrot Tulips, as I do love them, and this time I'll keep an eye on them so they don't disappear and put a marker beside them so I know exactly where I've planted them! Thanks Katherine.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 05-01-2013 at 02:13 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2013, 03:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Lea, do so hope that you have a few pictures to share with us. . .that would be wonderful!! So glad you are going to be painting with us, too!!

Kay, I thought about the drought, too. When you are in NM, see about going and taking some refs for us and add them to the RIL. Would love to have more of the Rococos and Shar wants the Black Parrots.

Elaine, great, you are going to join us again!! Like I said, you cannot paint a Parrot Tulip wrong. . .that is good news to me!!

Viv, how weird that they would disappear from your garden!! Glad it is time to plant your bulbs so you can choose some wonderful ones!! We want lots of pictures when they bloom next Spring!!

Hugs, Peeps!

Katherine

Last edited by Antiqueteacher : 05-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.