WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Washington, DC

Hails from United States
east coast art schools

What are the colleges with good art programs on the East Coast (USA). Preferably ones that art exclusively, because I'd like to minor in something unrelated. Thanks!

Check out Confessions of a Chronic Dork (my personal blog) and Pop Goes the Artist (my art blog/website)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2003, 01:28 AM
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States
did you mean that "aren't art exclusively"?

because that is what you'd want if you want to minor in something other than art.

not exactly east coast, but in the same time zone: I'm at the University of Tennesee. I can't say its the best, but it definitely isn't bad at all. And the University as a whole offers a lot of opportunities for minors in whatever the heck you want. we have a really high ranked printmaking department, and the rest of the programs are pretty good also. They offer studio space to upperclassman (depending on media) and occasionally some our graduates pop up in Artforum. if you want any more info, let me know...
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Washington, DC

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Artrunner
did you mean that "aren't art exclusively"?

because that is what you'd want if you want to minor in something other than art.

Yeah, that's what I meant. That's what I get for not reading back over my posts... Thanks!

Check out Confessions of a Chronic Dork (my personal blog) and Pop Goes the Artist (my art blog/website)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
I know you said USA specifically, but you should also note the really great art schools in Ontario such as Ocad, Sheridan or Ryerson.

Last edited by kirei : 09-16-2003 at 06:24 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Boston, MA

Hails from United States
Wink re: East Coast art schools...

If you're still looking for east coast art schools, here are some that I know of:

SMFA/ Tufts: This is a great school in Boston. SMFA is the art school, but you get your degree from Tufts University, which is an excellent school as well. SMFA is a very progressive art school (you don't choose a major, you can take many different classes in different disciplines, etc).

Boston University: another excellent university, with a much more traditional art program.

Parsons: a great NYC art/ design school affiliated with the New School University.

NYU: another NYC school- I don't know if they have an undergrad art program, or if it's just an MFA.

Rutgers: a New Jersey-based university. I have a friend currently in their art program who loves it. Plus, it's close to NYC.

I also recommend Massachusetts College of Art in Boston (where I go!) and RISD in Providence, RI (a huge favorite among artists). They are both self-contained schools, but both schools (as well as many in NYC, I bet) offer cross-registration at other local schools, so you can take classes elsewhere.

Hope that helps!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2003, 02:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia. They have an association with U of P for those wanting a bachelors, rather than the certificate program.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
i am going for my bachelor's of fine art and i attend Kutztown University! i love it! here is a link if you are still interested.

http://www.kutztown.edu/

Sarah

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2003, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Moving south on the East Coast, North Carolina State University has an outstanding College of Design, if you're into the more design-y art fields.

East Carolina University is the best known in the UNC system for visual arts. Appalachian State is also great, I got to talk to someone majoring in printmaking the other day and she loves it there and has been doing some great stuff.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2003, 11:44 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Sarah, my understanding of Kutztown was that they don't teach oil painting? True?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Hi artjunkie - you should definitely look into Cooper Union, in Manhattan. (full name is: The Cooper Union School for the Advancement of Science and Art) It offers a full liberal arts program along with your art major. It is one of the oldest and most respected art schools in the country.

Sanford
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2003, 11:57 AM
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States
Southern New England

Hey Artjunkie,

If you can brave the winters, I've got a couple of Southern New England schools for you to look into.

I'll agree with Mass College of Art... great school. The Museum of Fine Arts also runs a school in Boston if Boston is your thing. I'm unfamiliar with the Tufts program.

Further south (not that it makes much difference in the winters), if I had the chance to go to school all over again I would shoot for RISD (Rhode Island School of Design), especially if you're taking academics. The reason being that their affiliation is with Brown University, an Ivy League school. In fact, I just took my son to look at Brown (he didn't like it, I fell in love) and they play up the fact that you can take any class you like over at RISD (itself a very fine school).

I myself am a graduate of UMASS Dartmouth, about 40 minutes east of Providence (where Brown and RISD reside). They have a very progressive fine arts program with a great staff... well worth looking at if Ivy League is not your speed.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2003, 10:58 AM
baltimore

Hails from United States
MICA, in Baltimore
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2003, 08:06 PM

Hails from United States
Re: re: East Coast art schools...

Quote:
Originally posted by scheveningen rose

Rutgers: a New Jersey-based university. I have a friend currently in their art program who loves it. Plus, it's close to NYC.

I attended the art school at Rutgers, Mason Gross School of the Arts, about 10 years ago. They have an excellent painting and printmaking program. Additionally, they have built up their Graphic Design programs through major grants over the past years. Rutgers is a huge school, which was ideal for me since I didn't want to attend solely an art school. However, if you are a part of the BFA program, you will not be able to have a minor due to the demands of the studio classes. You can however, get a BA in visual art through the other colleges (Douglas, Rutgers, Livingston, etc) and have a minor. The degree requirements are a little less stringent.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Tyler, Texas USA

Hails from United States
Artjunkie
I looked at your home page, no clue there to what you are looking for in art. Amherst College has an excellant art program. I am going to give you a web sight that shows all the certified ateliers on the east coast. The best is in Toronto, Canada. Ok I'll give you two web sights then. One you will have to go through the list of ateliers . The school in Toronto is:http://www.angelartacademy.com/
The list is at:http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/atelier_list.asp
All these schools paint in the traditions of the old masters. You learn everything. When you graduate from the first school, the Michel John Angel studios or any of these Accredited Ateliers you can expect to make a salary equal to a doctor or lawyer.
Danny
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 09:39 AM

Hails from United States
Thanks Danny for the info. I am very familiar with artrenewal .com and the Angel Academy. I have talked to them personally and it sure seems like a great school. I for one hate cold weather. I used to live in Chicago and will avoid that at all cost. Florence isn`t that much farther away from Texas than Toronto anyway :-) . Art Renewal also has Watts in Cal.(on the beach) and I will go check it out in Jan.04. I`m also interested in Mims in S.C.. Jeffery Mims is an incredible artist and has been trained by the best. Why can`t there be something like this in Austin...or hey even Tyler?..and before it`s over I`ll probably go and check out Angels in Toronto. Happy trails and happy painting. TA