WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Hails from France
newbie wanting C & C

Hi I've just introduced myself on "new members" and in soft pastel talk.

I was wondering if I could have C & C on a couple of pictures I have tried out. I am still very much practicing, but enjoying every learning curve!

After starting out with hard pastels last winter, (it has been winter projects only because of busy schedule the rest of the year) I am now using Rembrandts, Rowneys, and slowly building up a collection of Senneliers mmmm I love 'em!

I have done a sunflower picture which was on the reference library here and also the Zinnias (which I went a bit wrong with because I tried to put a wax pastel base under it on one side (ooops!) and also just finished a white tulip painting (which I think I want to add another contrasting colour to the background, but not sure)

please be gentle
Thank you
PS (I am rubbish photographer, the flash has probably brought them out warts and all LOL!)
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Re: newbie wanting C & C

liking the sunflower pic
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

I agree with al84. The sunflowers are wonderful. Don't be afraid of the darks. I see that you've used more darks in the daisy picture. Nice work. I'll be watching for new posts.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Your paintings are well done with proportions and detail, but I think you might want to make more of a difference between the values that you choose. To make the painting’s focal point come forward and be the center of attention you will want to have a higher contrast between values.

Your second painting has the greatest contrast of values between the background and the vase and flowers, and that makes the subject matter standout. On the second painting try altering the red fuzzy, foxtail looking foliage on the right side of the painting lighter in value and make the two on the left side of the painting darker in value. This should bring them forward.

Last edited by T Porter : 04-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Hails from France

Thank you for your comments so far, they are encouraging (sigh of relief!)

I appreciate all your wisdom, I really do. I am enjoying it sooo much and really want to improve. When I go to the art shop with my friend, we joke that we are going to go and "lick" pastels and other pretty things! (my friend is into sewing and jewellery etc)

I will try that with the daisies and see how it goes, I understand what you are saying. That's what I was thinking about the tulips, do you think I should add another colour in the background to bring out the subject? A bit of purple keeps leaping to mind, what do you think?

Thanks again
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchchick
I will try that with the daisies and see how it goes, I understand what you are saying. That's what I was thinking about the tulips, do you think I should add another colour in the background to bring out the subject? A bit of purple keeps leaping to mind, what do you think?

Thanks again

Purple is the compliment color to yellow, which could create a dynamic back ground, so yeah give it a try.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Hails from France

Thanks, I'll see how I get on
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Hello and welcome! Lovely flowers! When you get comments, they may vary a bit, as what we see on our computer screens is a bit different from each other, and different from what you see on your paintings. I have two computers, and one has nice colours, but the other one shows every picture as a bit more blue than it really is.

I agree with the others who commented. You do very fine with your drawing, and the aspect I too would recommend you to look into is the range of tonal value. The orange flowers (in the vase with flower decor) is the painting that works best. I feel I could hold the vase in my hands, it looks so three dimensional. And the range of values in that painting is fine! The glass vase is believable too, you really have an eye for reflections.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Beautiful work! You've received excellent advice, values are so important in painting, you can control so much by adjusting darks/lights. Also remember warms/cools, incorporating both value and temperature into a painting brings things alive. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your paintings!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM

Hails from France

Thanks again. The learning curve is one of the parts I love too. I see more and more how the values make such a big difference. I also value the comment on the drawings, because that is one part I like to get right and I pride in getting right.

The advice on here is great, because the standard is so high and between everyone so much experience. It means a lot to hear comments so I can move onwards and hopefully upwards in my new found hobby which you wouldn't believe what it has done for me since I had to stop a lot of my work (the sense of feeling useless and not being proactive in anything). Don't get the violins out, it's just a natural stage I suppose when you are used to running round helping other people and then your body says you have to stop but your head is still going!

Thanks again, any more comments are welcome, I am hoping to sit down this afternoon and tweek a little, then I am going to learn from it and move on.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 AM

Whats ya next painting gonna be
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 AM

Hails from France

I want to try the iris that's on April's spotlight to do more practice on flowers, but then I want to try something like a nice scene with a coffee pot and cups etc. Last winter I did the Swans which were on the spotlight in hard pastels and also the coloured glass bottles. I also did a painting from a photo we took when we were in the South of France which was a scene over the rooftops in moonlight. I'm not getting on very well with scenery I think I prefer still life.
How is your next project coming?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 AM

i dont do much still life.im also a newbie im only on me 4th pastel painting.but im addicted! got meself a easel other day and my new pastels have just came through the post too today unison portrait pastels the start of me new painting is in the studio gallery
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

Very nice work! The drawing is very good...well done.
Everyone here has already given you lots of wonderful advice, and I can think of nothing more to add in that direction All I can say is, just keep painting...I'd love to see more.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Hails from France

Okay, I've tweeked these 2, but now I'm going to learn and move on!

Thanks for all your advice, it has been very helpful.
Attached Images