WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States
Rock Levee Detail

This is the most difficult subject matter that Iíve painted to date. I did this painting as a challenge to myself to see if I could handle such a busy sence.

The painting was done from a photo, the sky way overcast and the light was flat on the day of the photo. The picture was taken on a rock levee at a wildlife refuge named Squaw Creek, which is an area used by migratory birds. I like the way the larger rock is positioned in front of the dock (thatís the plant behind the large rock) and I thought the smaller lighter colored rocks provided a nice lead in for the painting.

Dock is a pain in the butt weed around here, but in a photo the seed heads can bring some nice color to an image. The background of dock, especially the leafy part, was very difficult to paint and bring depth into the painting without making it look like a wall. Also, within the area between the smaller rocks lay decaying debris of vegetation from past years. That debris was also difficult to depict. Anyway, I think Iím done with this one. C&C are welcomed.

Interesting side note about Squaw Creek, bald eagles hang out here and prey on the snow geese that use this area and the ground is littered with the carnage of bald eagleís feast. There are heads, wings, feet and other unrecognizable parts lying all over the tops of the levees within the refuge. I thought you might like to know this. Ha!

10.5" x 13.5" Uart320

Alcohol wash under painting

Pastels:

Rembrandt
Unison
Ludwig
Mount Vision
Nupastels

Last edited by T Porter : 04-05-2013 at 02:13 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from France
Re: Rock Levee Detail

It is a good painting. I love it.
Your reds are very believable, beautiful. Just what they should be.And reds are difficult !

The bigger rock attracts the attention for sure and it is a good thing since it is the center of interest.

But beware, there is something almost human (alien looking) in this rock : my brain perceives it as an "head" (I can see one eye, half closed, the shape of a nose and a mouth).So my eyes are stuck on it and it prevents me to move around in the picture.
Is it me ?
Other people'll tell you .
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

That would be a difficult subject, I think you'd pulled it off. I don't see a head like Mado does, but maybe I'm just lacking imagination.

David
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 12:02 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

You have done a brilliant job of painting an interesting painting out of weeds and rocks. There is a sense of time and calm enhanced by the distant trees. However I have to agree with Mado there is something odd about that rock. All the other rocks sit in the ground and belong but the main rock sort of sits unbalanced in a way it just need a connection to the land. A reason for being there. Other than that you have done a great job with a difficult subject.

C & c's always welcome