WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Re: The Best Oil/Medium for Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
It always is interesting to hear people promote their medium with a cult like religious fervor.
Have you ever tried Bill Martin's glazing medium?
I can get all the qualities I need with just paint and sometimes add a little oil/oms for thinning.
no washing of oil
no gair
no chalk
no muss
no fuss
cheap
time proven
simple
I could go on

LOLL!!! Classic, fun sid, thanks.

Nate
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
It always is interesting to hear people promote their medium with a cult like religious fervor.
most people here say that it is the very best medium ever.
I can get all the qualities I need with just paint and sometimes add a little oil/oms for thinning.
no washing of oil
no gair
no chalk
no muss
no fuss
cheap
time proven, no cracking, yellowing, or permanence issues in my paintings for a half century now.
simple
I could go on

"religious fervor"? lol, no, just study, practice, personal decisions.

everybody should be able to paint how they want, with what they want.
for years I have went largely solvent and resin-free, except when I have worked outdoors.
the materials I use work for me, irrespective of your attempt to insult me.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
r people promote their medium with a cult like religious fervor.

Prepetroleumites Brotherhood!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Prepetroleumites Brotherhood!

so mocking others here is acceptable?

okay, f**k you.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
DECiNERGY http://www.decinergy.at | Burgenland, AUSTRIA

Hails from Austria
Cool Re: The Best Oil/Medium for Painting

Quote:
no washing of oil
no gair
no chalk
no muss
no fuss
cheap
time proven, no cracking, yellowing, or permanence issues in my paintings for a half century now.
simple
I could go on

• this is why some are "painter" and NOT artists !!!
-> i mean, artist work or probing or test new ways, also in mediums
-> "painter" take only paints from tube ...

All famous-history artists are famous, because they make a new way or medium and not for there superb paintings ... !?!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
no washing of oil
no gair
no chalk
no muss
no fuss
cheap
simple
I could go on
I am certainly not attempting to be insulting or mocking, I gave my impression of how fervent some people are about their medium of choice, I suggested trying another well liked medium (Bill Martin's medium), and I gave my own preferences regarding mediums, and listed some reasons why I have those preferences. I really do not like fooling with any of that stuff, nor with alkyds, nor with resins. (but I do at times anyway) Nothing could be simpler, except not using any medium whatsoever, that is, just paint.
In going on,
I also believe that far too much has been speculated about exactly what medium the old masters used and about their so called secrets. I think they were extraordinarily talented and mostly used materials as simple as mine. This opinion is shared by other reliable sources, for instance by the AMIEN staff. Such speculations have given rise to the search for the special stack process lead white, marogers medium, and the calcite, spurgeon type of mediums, burnt plate oil (remy was an engraver after all) as the answer to part of their secrets. I would assume that all of these do work very nicely too. But I personally do not believe that they are the be all, end all answer to be able to paint like them.
(and I think Alex (gigalot) was joking as usual)

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 03-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM

[quote=sidbledsoe]I am certainly not attempting to be insulting or mocking,

sure you weren't...
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 PM

[quote=alva]
Quote:
I am certainly not attempting to be insulting or mocking,

sure you weren't...

alva, the short time I've been here I've read many older posts, and sid is one of the "good guys." He posts logically, and as a responsible artist. He seems to care about others and wants all here to do well. You need to realize its hard to sometimes get the meaning from some post on the web, but yeah, sid is good.

sid, you owe me a steak dinner! I like Shula's Steak House! Hmmm
Hahah, just kidding of course.

As they say, live and let live... in this case, paint and let others paint...just enjoy.

Nate

Last edited by RembrandtEternal : 03-30-2013 at 08:03 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

It always amazes me when a person regardless of their time on WC has to come to the defense of one of the “Good Guys” only after this “Good Guy” allows their own discussions to turn into taunts that in turn force the other person to defend themselves. The best words were not chosen, but the situation was compounded by its defense.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago, Illinois

Hails from United States

edited to delete, just not worth it!!!!!!!
However to the poster, you did what you set out to, those with brains will read and decide for themselves what may be best for them.
By the way, though you did say you tried all mediums, have you checked out the wet canvas crazed cult worshiping Bill Martin Glazing medium like sid suggested? It really is a good medium for GLAZING I would be positive once you used that you would never again desire those textures, and paint handling manipulations which I can see achieved with what you are referring to.

Last edited by DGrau : 03-30-2013 at 11:45 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 AM

DGrau, the one with venice turpentine, etc in it? yes, I have a lidded glass jar of it mixed up a few feet away.
Yes, you can glaze well with it. I have read Mr. Martin's words and looked at his paintings.

I can and have glazed with many different mediums.
But none are superior to properly hand-cleaned "Sun-Oil", cleaned unthickened oils, glair, and chalk imo.

Last edited by alva : 03-31-2013 at 12:17 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2013, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Very interesting that you are making your own raw oils. I'm a big fan of using only pure drying oils as painting mediums (usually not thickened, as I think these work best with solvents). I'm aware that several old masters used calcite, but haven't found much use for it so far. But, say, a mix of linseed, poppy, and walnut oil as a painting medium? Great stuff.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago, Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi Alva,
Sorry but I was just making a point that one can make denigrating comments about almost anything, such as you are following a cult, but all those mentioned following Bill's recipe for a medium are not cult then?
Yes I understood that Bill's medium would never suit you unlike others.
I recall Louis's site from years ago, and if i recall correctly he and Tad where in contact at some point. Type in tadspurgeon.com , you may pick up a few extra ideas or tips which you may find beneficial. Have fun and post sometime what you accomplish with it.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 AM

Hi Trond, yes I agree, making and using the pure oils is a very wonderful thing. I was the kind of kid who loved test tubes, beakers, and flasks as a little kid, and making various concoctions. I am sure that natural bent has just extended itself into my painting, or more accurately, was part of my nature to best fulfill my vocation.

DGrau, yes, I am very familiar with T. Spurgeon's work. Very interesting and informative. I believe Louis Velasquez put out the Sun Oil, Chalk, Glair info several years BEFORE Spurgeon, and Velasquez even sent Spurgeon his book a couple years before Spurgeon came up with his material.
Also of note is that George O'Hanlon later came up with NP's "Velasquez Medium" years AFTER Louis' book.
But, those matters are ultimately not my major interest.

BUT I DO credit Louis Velasquez with being the FIRST I had come across about Calcite/Sun Oil in about the year 2000 or thereabouts.

I was at that time seeking other DIY-cleansing methods for oil beyond what is typically known and practiced. Some worked VERY well.

Last edited by alva : 03-31-2013 at 02:04 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2013, 02:24 AM

As an aside, (which may or may not interest some), back around 2000 while searching out old master materials, I had compiled interviews I had with Joseph Sheppard, Frank Redelius, David Leffel, and Ann Schuler.
Schuler was imo closer to Jacques Maroger than anyone else, having worked side by side with him for many years.
She never got the credit she deserved imo.

But as exquisite a medium as "Maroger" is, (and btw, there were MANY maroger mediums that evolved into what we now call "Maroger"),
I abandoned it.
I will say that while conservators think Maroger/Meguilp is not a good medium for permanence, I have seen Maroger paintings in very beautiful condition almost 100 yrs old.

Anyway...oil painting mediums...I read somewhere that you spend 10 yrs learning the craft of violin making, then spend the rest of your life figuring out the varnishes.