Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Gesso For Depth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kunoichi

Recently, I have gotten the idea to start using gesso to raise parts of the painting to add depth…does anyone know of any good techniques for acheiving this?

Absurdity is truth

Ninpo Ikkan!

katz

I like to use a painting knife to apply thick paint mixed with gel.
            You can achieve some depth and texture with it. There are different kinds of gel, extra thick would work the best for depth.
            Katz

talkingbanana

I’ve used gesso to create texture before – just scraping it across the canvas, putting it on thick and dragging combs through it, that kind of thing. Very abstract, it’s a lot of fun.

You really can’t get a lot of deep texture with gesso, though; it won’t raise it much, and putting the stuff on too thick doesn’t seem to be the greatest idea.

Try modeling paste. I’ve never used it, but I’ve heard about it and the effects it gives. I’m pretty sure it can get some depth, just use it on masonite or something like that rather than stretched canvas or paper – something rigid.

the lazy art major who never finishes anyth

jimb

Try thickening up your gesso with marble dust.

You can buy textured gel with blended fibers in it by Liquitex. I use it.

Julia

maverick

Julia touched on one type of textured gel, but there are several kinds. I’ve used different grades of sand gel and even made up my own, which is more fun for a DIY person like me. I just got a big tub of gel medium and a bag of construction sand. Mix some of it together and you can brush it on or trowel it on like cement. I used it on a really large canvas without any problems. Really, you can mix whatever you like into the gel.

ginatec

Marble dust is good mixed with Gesso or you can use fine sand and throw that at the wet Gesso. Tissues can be layed on wet gesso as well…this can get some really good effects.

Gina

Web Site :-http://perso.wanadoo.es/ginatec/

Or mix it with ‘whiting’. This is basically chalk dust. Gesso will seal in about anything so you can mix whatever you like in. It should be fine as long as you’re just going over it with acrylics (and not oils). Many brands have paste type mediums you could mix in (usually called texture paste or molding paste).

Tina.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

dd50

Why couldn’t you use ‘other’ materials to add texture? Like for instance … dirt …. glue …. salt …. sugar .. etc. ???

Ya think?

Dee

maverick

Why couldn’t you use ‘other’ materials to add texture? Like for instance … dirt …. glue …. salt …. sugar .. etc. ???

Salt and sugar are natural preservatives, but salt can react with other things and cause corrosion. Maybe it would eat the canvas? It ate my sidewalk.

I’ve met some artists with brand new Fine Arts degrees and they basically say, let’s give the conservators a job to do, and they don’t worry too much about their materials or how archival they are.

imlayte

Hi gang, I’ve hesitated about getting involved here because I wasn’t that sure at first you were talking about the physical height of strokes/passages. Silly me.

Twenty years ago when I was doing the desert shows I did use a method of doing just that. I came up with the method and formule on my own. Not that I’m some big hero or something but I wasn’t aware of it being done although I’m positive it was. The reason I say that is, what I’m giving you may not be the best but it worked very well for me.

I mixed Liquitex Gel Medium with the Liquitex Modeling Paste. As I remember about 50/50 but there was a bias in one direction. Maybe 60/40 or vice versa. Too much paste, then cracking can occur especially on canvas which I used. Too much gel then more slumping.

I penciled the dwg on the canvas and knifed the mixture on. I made mostly florals as it seemed so appropriate for them. The big goopy petals etc. I used the same mixture on the backgrounds. Loading a big flat knife and holding its plane parallel to the support I just let it skip over the surface leaving interesting abstract shapes. When dry enough I painted on the colors. That was 24 hrs in a dry climate.

I went to the studio and found I still have one piece. Let me know if you’ld like to see it.

Julia, If you have a piece don e with fibers I would like to see it or a section thereof that would show the effect achieved. I’ve used the gel sand by Liguitex and can share a painting done with it if any one is interested.

Howard

Watercolor Blog[/url]

Acrylic Blog[/url]
                                        Hell, there are no rules here, we're trying to accomplish something. (Thomas Edison)

kunoichi

Thank you all for the wonferful ideas!

Howard- I would love to see that painting that you were referring to…:)

Absurdity is truth

Ninpo Ikkan!

shirleyq

I think if you put any of the textures mentioned on too thick on a large canvas that you are asking for sagging. So the solution would be art board of somekind or small canvases.:)

Happy Trails,
                                                Shirley
                                                "If wishes were horses we would all ride like kings" Mary Jane Staats (my grandmother)
                                                my website my blog

imlayte

OK, Here’s the painting using the gel and modeling paste to attain raised portions of the subject matter. This one is 35 inches x 50 inches and is on stretched canvas. The heights here on the flowers range from 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch maybe more. Some flower centers 3/8 inch. You can build them higher if you wait for them to dry.

The following three are pieces of the painting showing maybe in more detail the heights of the flower edges. I turned the painting so the strong light of the sun would rake across it at an acute angle to show shadows cast by the sun.

Howard

Watercolor Blog[/url]

Acrylic Blog[/url]
                                                    Hell, there are no rules here, we're trying to accomplish something. (Thomas Edison)

maverick

Here is the largest painting I’ve ever done, and it has acrylic gel mixed with construction sand applied to the surface. It’s built up at the top very thick to give a three dimensional effect to the chunk missing from the cave wall (yellow area). There are lots of globs where I flung the cement-like mixture at the canvas. The size is 36″ x 24″. I have a wire for hanging attached to the side stretcher bars at the back so the weight is not affecting the top one. The canvas is very tight and has not sagged after almost a year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Gesso For Depth’ is closed to new replies.