WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
I live in Bayside on the coast of Maine, USA

Hails from United States
Anybody tried this Yarka easel look-alike?

I am interested in this easel. It looks a bit like the Yarka French Easel. I can't quite tell what the panel and canvas holding arrangement is. Price is right--how is the quality?

Does anyone have this easel?

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Anybody tried this Yarka easel look-alike?

No link, no picture Ian!

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Oops--here is the link !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wooden-Aluminum-Tripod-Portable-Foldable-Artist-Easel-Box-Oil-Painting-/200879105462?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec553 e5b6

Any C&C I may make is based on the theory that even the act of disagreeing with one of my lousy suggestions may still spark an inspired idea.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Looks pretty good for the price, couldn't discern the canvas clamps.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Bay Area, California

Hails from United States

Don't know it, but I'd be a little worried about that front leg projecting out towards you. I'd think you'd need to straddle it to paint.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Ian,
I think the quick release and lock on the legs is an improvement to the original Yarka. The Yarka had three small knobs for the extension of each leg (total 9) that becomes tiresome after awhile.

They really don't give enough information on the canvas/panel holder. It looks like it is very similar to the original, the rods on the side are bent at the top in a flat hook that holds the top of the canvas/panel. I think you should contact them for more information (good detail pictures and measurements). I noticed the extension rods that hold the top of a canvas/panel are on the outside of the box where on the original they extended from inside the box. Wondering if they might catch on things?

After having my Yarka for years I sold it because of the leg knobs and also because it didn't hold the canvas high enough for my liking. For reference, I am 6 ft. This looks like their Max canvas/panel Height: 59.06 inch / 150 cm

That is a very tempting price $44.99. I would want a good return policy.

Last edited by William Moore : 02-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Which side of the lid do you secure your canvas while painting? If it is on the outside you would be clear of the legs as with a french easel, but you would have nowhere to put the palette and would have to hold it. Lot of people do that anyway.

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits please.

Last edited by Journeyman : 02-10-2013 at 01:48 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

I saw this seller a while ago. I'm also interested in hearing more about this one, but know that I do not want the metal french easel that the seller has listed because you cannot raise the bottom shelf. Ian, with your woodworking skills, even if it was unusable, you could probably make it into a thing of beauty!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Berlin

Hails from Bulgaria

Hi,

I have one and a half of them (one of them I got broken). They are pretty sturdy, simple and you can get them ready for painting faster than a french easel. The russians call them »etyudnik«. If you search on google for этюдник (etjudnik), you will find these results: https://www.google.de/search?q=%D1%8D%D1%82%D1%8E%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B A&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=T3O&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:defficial&tbm=isc h&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zIEZUcG_IMaQswa3wYB4&ved=0CD AQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=831

Check these videos from Ulrich Gleiter (http://www.ulrichgleiter.com): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4y...il77faw/videos

This guy finished the russian art academy in St. Petersburg and meanwhile he is popular in the USA. His easel is a russian one.
What I like is, that you are forced to paint with a stretched arm, so you paint more »painterly«. All your paint gear is i front of you, you can mount pretty big canvases on this easel. This easel is simple and reliable as a russian car.
$45,– is not much comparing to the russian easels, you have to pay for them about €90,– (I found an estonian online shop).

cheers
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

Thanks for the comments and info, everyone.
Nicholai, your photos and links were very illuminating. I can see that there is a definite limit to how small a canvas that this easel can handle. It also looks like it may not do that well with panels. On the other hand, it seems like it might have a better grip on a large canvas than the standard French Easel. I could make something up that would enable this easel to hold smaller canvases and panels but unless I can be sure that this easel is substantially more solid and wobble free than a regular French Easel, I am not certain it is worth the trouble. True--it is past time for me to start painting larger...
Hi, Kyle--Love your latest work. I am not really that keen on putting my woodworking skills to use in my spare time--that is painting time! If I did, I might make a French Easel from scratch with superior hardware and fastenings. The standard French Easel is a absolutely wonderful design--just tends to be be a bit wobbly and prone to falling apart--the expensive ones and the cheap ones about equally!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Bruce
Thanks for the comments and info, everyone.
Nicholai, your photos and links were very illuminating. I can see that there is a definite limit to how small a canvas that this easel can handle. It also looks like it may not do that well with panels. On the other hand, it seems like it might have a better grip on a large canvas than the standard French Easel. I could make something up that would enable this easel to hold smaller canvases and panels but unless I can be sure that this easel is substantially more solid and wobble free than a regular French Easel, I am not certain it is worth the trouble. True--it is past time for me to start painting larger...
Hi, Kyle--Love your latest work. I am not really that keen on putting my woodworking skills to use in my spare time--that is painting time! If I did, I might make a French Easel from scratch with superior hardware and fastenings. The standard French Easel is a absolutely wonderful design--just tends to be be a bit wobbly and prone to falling apart--the expensive ones and the cheap ones about equally!
Hi Ian, I agree, spend your free time painting. We all know you are well rounded, and your painting time is the most valuable. Hoping to see you this spring!
Kyle