WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
New England, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Painting while travelling - what to do with your spouse.

I take my camera. I always take painting equipment in hopes that I can, but it's usually unlikely. Although, I have painted while we were on holiday together, my spouse constantly interrupts me. Except at the beach, there are enough distractions to keep him occupied for awhile.

When I want to go somewhere to paint, I go with my best painting buddy. We've found that if the spouses come along, our painting time gets eaten up. We walk away frustrated over lost painting time and grumbling that we will never take them along again.... until the next time.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast
Alvin, TX

Hails from United States

You might try letting her take photo's. I love taking photo's. Used to have a nice camera. She might enjoy that while you paint. Then you use some photo's to do studies once you return.

~Kirby
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

My wife, who hikes when I paint, *always* shares her photos with me for painting. A side benefit is, she takes promo pictures of me in the field:

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States

I almost screwed up a trip to Cape Cod a few years back. My partner knew I wanted to paint, as we packed my easel and a small box of pastels and a small watercolor travel palette. What I didn't do is express how I would have loved to paint the entire time! A little more communication would have been nice on my part in this case. We unfortunately had a less flexible schedule than we liked, as we were there as part of a group whose leaders (who very generously got us accommodations we would never have been able to afford without their negotiating skills) practically planned our time down to the hour! Looking back, we might have ruffled feathers and skipped a couple of social hours and spent more time exploring.

That said, I was able to join the local artists at the museum in a life drawing session, paint plein air on the beach, and set up my easel in the marshes with a dozen other artists during our visit. My partner rented a bike and spent that time seeing more of the sights and enjoying the setting while I painted. But as our time waned on the tip of beautiful Cape Cod, we realized that we were getting into little arguments that may have been averted had I just spoke up. I may not have painted more, but being on the same page is worth it on such a wonderful vacation!

"Wood End: Provincetown Moors," pastel on Art Spectrum mounted on museum board, 6" x 12"

Our next vacation was specifically to attend a pastel workshop near my partner's parents' beach house in the outer Banks, NC. Because of my health issues, she actually accompanied me on every painting excursion, helping me carry my supplies and set up and take down at each spot we painted. She then proceeded to capture some great shots with our camera! We got to see places we would not normally have chosen to see, but that meant we did not have time for a few sights we would have liked to see. And I had to leave early one day: the heat was getting to me, and unbeknownst to me, I was suffering the early stages of gall bladder issues. Ugh! I thought I was dying!

But what a great experience! She became part of the group, and the one day it rained, she went fishing with her brother and dad. I was happily painting indoors and she was happily enjoying her family!

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Indianapolis, Indiana

Hails from United States

My wife prefers to accompany me when I plein air paint. She enjoyes the locations and the adventure. Most of the time she will use her camera to document the day and when all the photos are taken she will read a book or knit a scarf or just hang out. She is a wonderful companion who likes to support me in my pursuits. But the same thing at home.....when she wants to read a book or knit a scarf I go into the studio to paint.....win, win!

www.carlwendt.com
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

I am new at this forum but while checking for pastel works I saw that particular question, and that is a good point! In fact, this coming April I will be attending a workshop in Fort Worth, Texas, and my wife will be coming with me and while at the workshop she may doing what is the best for her..shopping! At night we will go to any restaurant she chooses, and the next day she will do the same thing. I guess she is used to come with me when I attend to medical meetings. She is very reasonable and she understands that in a way that is part of my job. Occasionally we go to painting workshops. The last time she went with me she posed as a model for a portraiture workshop in Nashville, TN.

Last edited by Moises Menendez : 02-23-2013 at 05:43 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Pikeville, Tennessee

Hails from United States

This is a great thread with a lot of good ideas, thanks much.

web address: loxleystudio.com
"For the Love of Horses!"
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

This is a messy subject in my home. My husband is a sport fisherman, and we have set up a nice system of truck/camper/boat that we have enjoyed since pre-kid years. However, now that the children have flown, and I have this intense desire to paint instead of fish, he feels slighted. I have never really enjoyed fishing - unless I was actually catching them. I equate fishing with golf - boring, but I love being in the outdoors with my family with the camping experience. Since the kids have flown, I have rekindled my passion for plein air, and would rather paint than fish on our excursions.

We have divised a compromised system, we have a second boat (aluminum) we take to the smaller lakes that he can manage by himself without my help. On these trips I can paint to my hearts content. When we go with the bigger boat to the large lakes, or deep sea fishing - I bring sketching gear and draw quick sketches as he moves frequently from hole to hole, as I am needed as first mate.. It's not an ideal situation, as I would rather be painting on these trips in solitude, and he wants what he had years ago.

What is ironic is we met in art class in college. He is a natural, with more artistic talent in his little finger than I could ever hope for. I try to tickle out his artistic muse and fail as he dropped his artistic ambitions in college when faced with a family and the real world.

Carol
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Salt Lake City

Turned out to be a timely discussion. I am planning a painting vacation this spring, probably to Kanab, Utah. I floated a trial balloon. My wife said that she would like to come. I suggested that I devote the mornings to painting and the rest of the day to sight-seeing. My wife is an avid reader and a successful historical romance writer. She assured me that she could entertain herself. We plan to give it a try. Good advice here. Gary
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States

Paint at the nudist beaches near Venice, that will be interesting for both of you, haha. I'm just kidding, I don't know if any exist.
The Italians have wonderful Pistachio ice cream, perhaps you can ask her if you can go paint right when she's eating the ice cream, haha. Timing is everything sometimes.
All seriousness aside, my wife is a hiker and history buff, so she has no trouble wandering museums, or hiking if we're in nature.
We are both dancers too, and go to contra dance festivals. Sometimes I take a break and go paint. She understands that it is a real need for me, and there are other dancers there, so she doesn't miss out. I find painting and drawing centers me in ways that other activities do not, except maybe meditation or being in nature. Sometimes I will sketch while we're on the plane even, or waiting in an airport.

Last edited by artistinmemphis : 03-03-2013 at 12:32 AM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

For reason's I won't get into here, I do not do pleine-aire work.

But I go off to car shows and spends hours and hours taking reference photos for my art, wander around downtown sometimes on the way home and am late for dinner, and am prone to stopping unexpectedly to capture a particular phot.

It is just what I do, after 32 years together, we just accept each other's quirks. Many times I don't come out of the studio all day, just stay out there painting away.

I think the time we spend apart is the reason we are still together. When we are together it is because we want to be, and enjoy it. When we are 'doing our thing', we don't feel guilty.

greggo