WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 AM
Northern VA

Hails from United States
Question How much paint?

Is there any kind of trick to judging how much paint it will take to cover an area? I hate mixing just the right color and then running out part way through, if I have to struggle with getting just the right match it totally disrupts my flow. I tried mixing with larger amounts but I found myself wasting more paint than I could afford.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Germany
Re: How much paint?

I think its a question of experience.
In my early acrylic times I always had pretty too much colour on my palette which I then used for painting postcards.
In the end I had so many of them that they would last my life time!

Then I slowly got accomodated to using my paints.

And I am not getting nervous anymore if the amount of premixed colour is too small: I just mix it once more which seems to be another effect of getting more experienced.

Just go on painting, I'm sure you rather soon will know how to charge your paint adequately !
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hi there. If you feel you are not sure and have perhaps mixed too little paint, rather mix a little more and put it in a small sealed container. You can always use it later for backgrounds etc. Like Uta says, as you become more experienced, you will be able to judge a little better. I use up all my left over paint to cover small canvas boards in a neutral colour. Mixing the leftovers usually makes a nice grey. Add a little white if it is too dark. I prefer working on a toned canvas.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome to the forum

It does come with experience!

I was going to say exactly what Chammi has said, so won't repeat it

What I will add, is go to our Information Kiosk - there's a link in my signature - and near the top you'll see a 'Got any tips?' thread - it's full of stuff about stay-wet palettes and general acrylics painting needs!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Chammi has given you one of the secrets. I have a friend who intentionally mixes to much color. In his case he will use it again in several other paintings.

If you mixed the leftovers and store them in a container, be sure it is a nice quality container with a good seal. FWIW, I have found that ArtBin makes some very nice containers. I mixed a color last July and in November/December it was still fit to use.

One company in Canada, after grinding pigments found there is always a bit of sediment in the wash water. They collect that and put it in an acrylic base and sell it as Vancouver Gray, I call it Sludge Gray. Whatever you call it, it is good resource management.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 AM
Northern VA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the help guys Next time I go art supply shopping I'll pick up some sealed containers. I have a stay-wet palette but I didn't know that any paint would last without the sponge underneath. And to Charlie's Mum, thanks for the link to that "Got any tips?" thread, I've been loving flipping through it! I'm gonna try the copper penny idea with my palette to keep it fresher.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Mississippi

Hails from United States

just an FYI on containers. I have an acrylic miser palette from Jerry's Artarama that i love that trays and compartments to hold paint and I am still painting using paint i put in there in November. It also comes with a decent size palette to mix and paint from. When I don't want to scrap off my palette and put the paint in the containers. i set it inside a tupperware rectangle cake keeper. Just spray a little water over you palette.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...tte-system.htm
God Bless, Isaiah 40:31
Dejaa