WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM
WC! Guide
Victoria, British California

Hails from Canada
Beginnings

I haven't ever uploaded anything to this site - and so I am flying a bit 'blind' as it were and this is an experiment to see if I have figured this out. I did follow a very helpful video tutorial, but of course ran into issues that weren't covered in the video.

The first image is one of the first paintings I did - it is on the computer because my wife very kindly took a photo. I don't have photos of my later paintings (yet) but anyway you can all see where I started 3 years or so ago.

I was quite pleased with it at the time and still rather like a lot about it. But I think I have moved forward somewhat since those early days. Still lots and lots to learn and a lot of practice is still necessary to get me to where I want to go.

This is somewhat intimidating since this forum is home to so many talented folks, but still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The second image is a copy of a still life by the Spanish painter Zurbaran.

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 02-04-2013 at 05:32 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Canada
Re: Beginnings

Well that seems to have worked without crashing the website.

Here are 2 additional paintings:

The first is a scene from the Horn Head peninsula, Donegal, Ireland where my parents were born. The mountain in the background is 'Muckish' a well known landmark.

The second is my homage to Spanish painting, done a couple of years ago for a Spanish themed Christmas Eve (as was the earlier copy of the Zurbaran). It is obviously a cheeky fiesta in Velazquez' studio as a take off of Las Meninas, which I think is one of the most extraordinary paintings I have ever seen.

I got messages as I was uploading these that they had been resized by the WetCanvas website - so I will need to figure out how to compress them or minimize them in future.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Colin, very nice! I also started painting 3 or so years ago with acrylic. Keep up the good work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Keep it up Colin: You are doing great. I enjoyed these very much.
Derek
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Thanks so much for sharing Colin. You are doing well. I also like your first one - nice 'holiday' feel about it. Glad to have you on board. Keep them coming.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Hi Colin and a warm welcome to our 'home'

It seems to me you started pretty well so have a good base to progress - look forward to seeing more recent work

In another forum I put a step-by-step explanation for uploading, so please go here, scroll down a little (past the foral blurb!) and you'll see it.

When preparing uploads, can you scan any of the images? I usually prefere to do that rather than a photo (although your wife's photos are good!).
With a largish work I usually need a few scans and crop and 'stitch' them together.

Can you please add the size of your works when posting - so we know how big to imagine them? ...... also whether it's on canvas, paper, card or anything else!

Happy painting and uploading!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from Canada

Cassandra, thank you. I will look forward to seeing your work as well.

DCam and Chammi - thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Charlie's Mum: the advice and info is appreciated. We do have a scanner but I suspect it is for 8 1/2 x 11" sized images and that there will be lots of 'stitching' involved. 3 of the paintings above are (32" x 40" I think) on canvasboard. The smaller still life study is on canvas but not sure of the dimensions.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

My scanner is A4 size too - I've done as many as 6 scans to crop and stitch but the biggest canvas was probably 20" x16"

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM
Enthusiast
Solon, IA

Hails from United States

Keep up the great work. I think the first one is my favorit...love sunflowers and the perspective you used here. Acrylics can be challenging but practice and you will conquer!
Paint for fun...the rest will follow!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from Canada

Thanks Solonite. The first one is from a photo taken on a holiday in Umbria, Italy.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The studio at the top of the stairs

Hails from United States

Aha!
As soon as I saw the first one, it reminded me of Italy! Love it! My fav though must be 'Muckish' looks so peaceful (um, what's with the name of the mountain?).
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Canada

Thanks AprilJoy. 'Muckish' is the English rendering of the original Gaelic "an Mhucais" which means 'the pig's back'.

It is visible over a good chunk of northwest Donegal County, making it a real local landmark.

As for Italy, it is a beautiful addiction.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Great work. All of them are good but I especially like the perspective of the first one .
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Vasse, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Picasso, Goya, Dali and Velazquez all in one painting !! Good fun. I'm hoping the image in the upper left that I can't recognize is a Miro.

All Artist's are thieves. We steal imagery from the past, we pick and choose from popular contemporary culture, we rob from each other, from nature, from science, from religion, from indigenous cultures, ... from everywhere.
We stash the loot in our twisted minds and blend it all with a dash of personal history, a splash of zeit geist and variable amounts of time. Only then, through our chosen discipline, do we present an artifact for scrutiny.

Thanks, very refreshing.

http://www.alex-wisniewski.com/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the encouragement bhavani.

That was I think my 2nd painting - 'Beginner's Luck' I should have called it.

Alex, Miro is in there, represented by the odd looking character from his painting 'Woman in Front of the Sun' standing in for the Court Dwarf

The 'painting' in the upper left with the vegetables is supposed to be a Cotān.

Researching and putting the painting together was a crash course in Spanish art - and I learned a lot from sitting looking at the old Spanish masters and the modernists and trying to recapture what they had done with my rudimentary skillset. I especially renewed my love for Murillo and his ability to seize the fleeting moments of the human spirit in his paintings. The woman suppressing a giggle behind her shawl is from Murillo's painting 'A Girl and Her Duenna'.

As I was doing this, I also discovered that Picasso had done his own take on Las Meninas.

That is what is so enriching about art is the voyage of discovery that it takes you on.