WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Adana, Turkey

Hails from Turkey
Acrylic/Chroma Scale - Necessity of

I know this thread may be color theory, but since i have been studying acrylics recently, I have a question for everyone... What is the importance of knowing and using the uniform chroma scale? Is it a necessity? I have a list of calculations that I got from the book "Creative Color: Faber/Birren" and it throws down theh chroma scale throughout the book. I am thinkning about using it in various ways in my art, but how pertinent is it to understanding and using color?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: Acrylic/Chroma Scale - Necessity of

I have never heard of the uniform chroma scale, but understanding the basic idea of chroma is definitely important. Personally, I just look at the color and try to determine if the color is too intense (or chromatic), not intense enough, or just right! Then, knowing how to adjust the chroma is the next important step! I think, in my experience, that of the three properties of color - hue, value and chroma, people actually place too much emphasis on hue and value and tend to downplay chroma. I would say that matching the hue of your reference is almost never that important, matching the value is slightly more important, but values can be simplified and rearranged in a painting, but if the chroma is wrong, then it is almost always a problem!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

It is probably a good thing to be aware of, but if you get too analytical while you paint it can stifle your creative freedom. Learn all the tools and elements of art......keep them in mind; but on the back burner.
When you learned how to drive, at first you thought accelerate, brake, turn signal, watch speed limit, look in rear view mirror...etc.etc.etc. Then with experience, the car became an extension of your body.
I've learned more about color thru painting than any chroma or color charts, but they can be useful cognitively.

Happy painting.
derek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

I'm with Derek on this one. I love colour and how you handle it becomes instinctive the more you paint. Don't get too bogged down with theory although a basic understanding is useful when you start out on your painting path.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
My website: chammi-kaiser.de
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

I've never used any kind of formula for mixing - trial and error, experience is your best bet IMHO!

Derek explains it very well

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Mississippi

Hails from United States

I think it makes much more of a difference if your doing a lot of computer graphic design, to make the color you see on the computer as close to the real color of what you are representing.
God Bless, Isaiah 40:31
Dejaa