WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM
PA

Hails from United States
Outside the Lines ~ February 2013 Chat Thread

Well how about that. Lookit who just realized IT'S FEBRUARY! For goodness sake. Work has been, hmmm, interesting, but I think really I'm just in full hibernation mode, and the change of the month just kind of slipped by.

So, how is everyone doing with getting more art time worked into their schedules? I have not been able to stick to 15 minutes a day. But I have been getting a chunk of time (1-1.5 hrs) in usually one day on the weekend. That is 1-1.5 hours more than I had been getting in. Rather than starting a specific piece, I am going back to basics, doing a lot of sketching and working on some small drawings, working to improve drawing skills. I'm hoping to improve my observation skills and make it a bit more effortless and intuitive.

And, I actually started reading a book. That hadn't happened in quite some time either. While a lovely, light snow fell last evening, and hubby trekked off to a hockey game, I happily snuggled under a blanket and read. I love hibernating.

Happy February, everyone! Pennsylvania's very own Puxatawney Phil did not see his shadow yesterday, so spring should be just on the horizon!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States
Re: Outside the Lines ~ February 2013 Chat Thread

I'm pretty sure Puxatawney Phil is just as confused as the rest of us when it comes to predicting the arrival of Spring. 60 degrees one day and the teens on the next? Only two things herald the end of winter for me: the crack of the bats of Spring Training and, of course, opening day at Fenway.

I've been experimenting this past week with oil paints using the dry brush technique, inspired by some videos I saw on YouTube. My first attempt was, as people call it nowadays, a "hot mess" and while I salvaged it to some degree with my Prismacolors, the anatomical issues were beyond repair...

Things are pretty quiet around here otherwise, grateful that there haven't been any major snow storms or loss of power from ice storms. There's supposed to be some important football game tonight that I might take a look at, the Super...super somethingorother. Might have to put the pencils and brushes down for it, we'll see.

Hope everyone has a happy and creative February.

Rob
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSewell
Things are pretty quiet around here otherwise, grateful that there haven't been any major snow storms or loss of power from ice storms. There's supposed to be some important football game tonight that I might take a look at, the Super...super somethingorother. Might have to put the pencils and brushes down for it, we'll see.

Interesting technique with the oils. I did some playing around with acrylics, using dry-brush and layering color in a similar way to cp. More experimentation is on my to-do list.

I have been enjoying these more frequent, gentle snows we have been getting this year. No debilitating giant snows, when I have to worry about losing power for who knows how long. But alas, winter is not yet over. And I have an electrician lined up to come wire for a generator next week, so if the big storm could just hold off til after that......

I have to say, I was happy to not be watching your Patriots again last night. Give someone else a shot.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Hi CPers!

Did you see the amazing work of the Explore This CPSA 2013 exhibition/competition?

Don't miss it!!!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frida
Hi CPers!

Did you see the amazing work of the Explore This CPSA 2013 exhibition/competition?

Don't miss it!!!

Thanks for posting about this exhibition. I'm going to enjoy visiting an online exhibition while it's so cold outside here.

I just opened my new set of Polychromos and I couldn't resist testing each and every one. They feel so smooth on the paper and the colors are so rich. All those hours on this forum paid off since w/o the info I picked up here I wouldn't have bought the 120 color set of polys.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:

Things are pretty quiet around here otherwise, grateful that there haven't been any major snow storms or loss of power from ice storms.

Uhhhmmmm.....Rob? I think we're going to miss the brunt on Friday, but you might want to put your snowblower on alert.....

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States

Yeah...I just noticed a huge bullseye hovering overhead. Already drawing comparisons to the Blizzard of '78 and not a flake of snow has fallen yet. They don't want us to panic...but if it makes good video by all means panic.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Yeah...I just noticed a huge bullseye hovering overhead. Already drawing comparisons to the Blizzard of '78 and not a flake of snow has fallen yet. They don't want us to panic...but if it makes good video by all means panic.

Count on seeing Jim Cantore in the area.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 03:17 PM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States
Smile Re: Outside the Lines ~ February 2013 Chat Thread

Jim Cantore's da man!

Latest weather map puts us as getting 2 feet. See ya'll in the Spring...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Jim Cantore's da man!

Latest weather map puts us as getting 2 feet. See ya'll in the Spring...

Lots of pencil time! By candlelight..... Hubby is currently stuck in Chicago b/c all of tomorrow's flights have already been cancelled and rerouted. Not really sure when I'll see him....

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM

A big hello from India. I live in a small city in the heart of India and spring is here already....lots of flowers blooming...and they do make wonderful subjects for pencil sketches...the problem is that its exam time this time of the year in this region of the country so busy with the kids studies and other activities...very little time for any serious sketching or drawing. got hooked on to fabric colors recently and am enjoying it!!!!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM
PA

Hails from United States

Reetzy, I am envious of your springtime!

Sooooo, Roooooob? How ya doin'?

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 PM
A WC! Legend
New Bedford, MA

Hails from United States

[Pokes head out of 8' high snowbank]

I'm still here...and if anyone has a Saint Bernard with a whiskey barrel strapped under his chin, send him my way, 'k?

Just don't send Cujo...

Rob

P.S. Nothing like 2' of snow to get you back to the pencil work.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Well my sea scape piece is sitting home and lonely. We have been in the Napa Valley cutting down trees for the state park in Calistoga that are a hazard to those that like to camp and hike. We do this twice a year it seems. We dry camped for 4 days and now are in Fortuna, California just south of Eureka visiting my husband's mom and sister. We will be home on Wednesday or Thursday and I will be happy to see my drawing table and pencils again. My husband calls his books his old friends he likes to revisit and I call my pencils my old friends I like to visit often.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 AM
n.e.lincs

Hails from United Kingdom

I am like Surra I sat waiting for a 120 set of polychromos pencils to come.looking forward to having more colouers to use