WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 AM

Gruiformes WIP

Polychromos Colored Pencils on 9x12 Arches HP watercolor paper.

My dream job is to be a Scientific Illustrator, and in order to do that, I need to practice. I found this challenge on Deviantart where you are to illustrate 100 different species, and the species I picked today is the Grey Crowned Crane. I used to have issues with colored pencil because I'd rush it, and I'd end up with sloppy work. I think I've learned to not rush my art quite so much, and I feel it shows. A little irritated with the scanner though. It doesn't pick up light colors as well as I'd like. There are tiny yellow flecks on the wattle, and there was some skin detail on the cheeks that seem to have been washed out. Hopefully I can get a better scanner or camera one day, and delicate details can be picked up more easily.

Edited for typos
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States
Re: Gruiformes WIP

Great start to becoming an illustrator, I would suggest using more colors to define your work and give it a greater depth. The use of blacks and grays...try mixing your own dark colors with a variant of other colors, the richness of color will come out in your work in a much more vibrant blend.

Portraity
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

You've chosen a good subject with lots of bright colour. I can see the yellow flecks just fine, so your scanner is working. I'm looking forward to the update.
Vena
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 AM

I took George924's advice and tried to incorporate a bit more color into the feathers as well as the beak. I have to admit, it was a little tough trying to get more color in there while staying true to the color of this species of crane.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Immortalized

Great work so far - really nice to see an unusual bird, will be keeping an eye on your thread...

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM

I've started on the wings and the crown. I've also learned that Dark Sepia and Dark indigo combined make a good neutral.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Coming along very nicely!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 AM
Immortalized

completely CHARMING piece!!!

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM

It's mostly finished. I think I need to touch up the crown a bit, but other then that, I'm quite pleased with it.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 AM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Love the way you did the eye! its nice to see someone else on here who is also interested in scientific illustration thats what I want to do as well!! Would be interested in the species challenge you mentioned if you would be able to post the link?

I have recently been working on a grey cat and had a similar problem of whether to go 100% complementaries to mix the grey fur (there is a really good thread in the library called "African Grey Feather" about this), but I ended up doing a mix of complementaries, plus some greys mixed in.
I found that an undercoat of Ultramarine and Caput Mortuum (a reddish brown colour) both polychromos, with dark indigo on darker areas, then greys, whites and blues over the top worked quite well.
great finished artwork!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM
Immortalized

The background really makes this piece pop - this was great fun to watch, thanks for posting your progression!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM

emma.s - Heres the link to the Challenge: http://browse.deviantart.com/art/100...enge-271791779

It not only features big, photogenic animals like mammals, birds and reptiles, but also smaller orders, like lanclets, Tardigrades, and sea squirts.

Also, thanks for the advice everyone, it was really appreciated. I'm glad you all enjoyed my drawing.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks snozzberry! Looks like an awesome challenge- and a good way to practice, which I really need haha looking forward to seeing more of your stuff!