WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Unhappy Paper sides

I am new to cp, and in the process of trying different papers. I have several different ones, including Stonehenge, Arches hp 140, and Fabriano Artistico. I do NOT see watrmarks, but have read that they do indeed have 'sides' to them. Can someone help me to understand which side is the best to use for cp, and how to distinquish that side? Someone recently mentioned that they use the 'smooth' side of Stonehenge, but I honestly can not tell the difference! On of my recent pieces on Arches hp 140, I noticed the surface pulled off when I removed the perimeter tape; plus there was some additional paper damage which I could see when the sun beamed across my table.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Paper sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendell
I am new to cp, and in the process of trying different papers. I have several different ones, including Stonehenge, Arches hp 140, and Fabriano Artistico. I do NOT see watrmarks, but have read that they do indeed have 'sides' to them. Can someone help me to understand which side is the best to use for cp, and how to distinquish that side? Someone recently mentioned that they use the 'smooth' side of Stonehenge, but I honestly can not tell the difference! On of my recent pieces on Arches hp 140, I noticed the surface pulled off when I removed the perimeter tape; plus there was some additional paper damage which I could see when the sun beamed across my table.

I use bristol board smooth and use the smooth side. I have used Stonehenge watercolor and Arches watercolor, but I find that it has to much tooth to it. When I did jeans the tooth was helpful but to get full coverage (this was before I learned to use burnishing liquid) I would burnish with pressure. I guess what i am saying is it depends on what your going to do. I find the smoother the more control I have. Just my opinion.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
the kingdom of Rohan

Hails from United States

I only use Stonehenge and have never really noticed a difference in the sides
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM

OK, what is burnishing liquid?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM

I bout some Stonehenge at the local hobby store and found out they put their store sticker on the side I was supposed to use. This cuts out about 25% of the available paper.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 PM

I used Stonehenge for the majority of all my drawing work. Unless they've changed in some way over the last 25 years or so, their definately are two different sides to the paper. It's been that long since I have purchased drawing paper (I have almost 300 sheets that have been in storage for that period of time). In my case, I didn't think the sides really looked *all* different, but when I tried a drawing on the 'rougher' side, I was not pleased with it. I always thought of the smoother side as being the 'velvetier' side I work mostly graphite, but also a bit of CP. Hope this helps
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverstsfyd
OK, what is burnishing liquid?

I used odorless mineral spirits, you can also use baby oil I hear. I brush it on, it melts the wax or poly based color enough for it to go in the low parts of the tooth.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Thank you for the comments everyone. Still confused though. Some are saying there IS a difference in the sides of paper. How do I tell? I can not FEEL a difference with my hands.....then how do I know which is 'the smooth side'?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Yes, there is always to side of the paper and I always look for the smoothest side of the Stonehenge I work on...I hold it to the light and see what side is the smoothest. If you are not sure what side to use the best thing to do is try both sides and see what side you prefer for you style of work.

I hate it when stores put their stickers on paper...but I hardly buy my supplies from a brick and mortar store any more.

Portraity
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Colour a small sample square on first one side margin of the paper and then on the other. One side usually has a bit more grain than the other and colouring in a square should show you the difference. If you see no difference, then it probably doesn't matter which side you use.
Do you use painter's tape (usually blue or green) from a hardware store for your perimeter. This tape has less tack than masking tape so less likely to tear the paper.
Vena
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum! There are differences in the sides of some papers. The question is not really what is best for cp, but what is best for you. Artists vary widely in their support preferences, perhaps more in CP than some other mediums. I like a smooth surface, so I prefer hot press or bristol smooth, and I have used the back (smooth side) of cold press. Start playing around with both sides of whatever papers you've got. You'll discover which side you prefer, or perhaps you won't like the paper at all. There are no hard and fast rules. Don't worry about what works for cp. Think about what works for you.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM

I use a drafting tape. It is quite old though (been EONS since drafted). IPG is the manufacturer and it doesn't look like they carrry it anymore.

Thank you for the recommendation of trying the mini samples on each side. I think I can finally see a TINY, TINY visual difference in the 2 sides of the Stonehenge....
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Hi Kendell!

Regarding which side of the paper is the smoothest, and better to use, I know of two basic ways:

1. Not looking at it - it works well with Stonehenge. Just run your finger/s along one side, then the other. Trust your touch to let you know which is smoother!
2. Use a magnifying glass to look at it - works with heavier and WC papers such as Fabriano. From the fabrication process one side may have a weave pattern. Use the other!

Regarding tape taking some of the paper away, it happens to me only when I am a bit hasty removing it (better to do it AWAY from the CP, for obvious reasons...) The other times it happened when I left the tape on just too long. There seems to be a connection with the fact you used old tape. Probably the adherent medium goes through chemical changes as it ages.

EDIT - Also the tape itself has a lot to do. Regular masking tape is too tacky. Painter's tape is gentler.

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.