WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM

One of my old Oil Paintings

This is the last oil painting I did. Its from 1994, and is 5x7 on canvas board. Thoughts? Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: One of my old Oil Paintings

You need to be a bit more specific about what you want.

For example, if you are asking how could it be improved then I would say the composition could be improved by offsetting the mountain further from the horizontal and vertical centre. The sky has a nice gradient and the mountain has detail, but in context the foreground looks unfinished and the snowy ridge on the lower left jumps out a little too much for me.

I hope that is useful?

David
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Apologies Timetobe and thanks.

I just found this little painting in the bottom of a box in the cellar.
I put it up just to show people, mostly because I'm excited to see it myself. I haven't produced any art for many years and am just getting back into the game.

Thanks for the critique. I've always been more of a graphite-comfortable artist, I'm looking to get more confident with colors. I'm not comfortable enough to sell paintings yet. I have a ton of oil paint supplies I have never even used, sitting there, I've got to use them.

Last edited by marksmom : 02-02-2013 at 02:53 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM

Actually, I haven't painted at all since then; and I'm much more skilled and comfortable at drawing. I'm getting back into it though.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, I am amazed anyone has a problem with you posting this. They should really shove off. So, what I see in this painting is good handling but not so much with the colour. If I were you I would do this over using only black and white, or some other variation on monochrome, or maybe just using the three primaries and white. The point is to achieve colour harmony. Otherwise very nice! Welcome!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM

It's a nice piece and I think you should paint some more. I took a decade long break and it's good to be back. You won't regret it. Despite the crankiness of the internet at times
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Dana Design

I am assuming that 'marksmom' was asking for comments/critiques by asking "Thoughts?". That said, there is absolutely NO point for rudeness here on WC. If you don't have something helpful to say, say nothing and move on!

I'm really getting tired of snotty, rude remarks!

Now, as to the painting, it's a general rule (not hard and fast) that the very tippy top of the mountain NOT be in the center of the canvas. As well, the canvas shouldn't be cut in half by half sky and half land thus making it look perhaps like two different paintings.

I think you could add another mountain peak on the left that is higher than the one in the middle and make this a very nice landscape. And...taking some of the gold and pushing it up a bit closer to the base of the mountain say, on the lower right, would balance this piece.

It's a good beginning but just needs a few tweaks to make it special. Keep painting!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Didn't see the deleted comments, but can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be encouraged by this. To me, you have handled the mountains very well with very good values and just enough "detail' to look quite authentic. As someone else has mentioned, the sky has nice gradation giving it excellent depth. The bottom portion does look a bit unfinished. It looks more like putting down an overall general color in the first layer, but still having the need to add a bit more variation in color and value in a subsequent layer. If they are trees, then some very small vertical strokes will give the impression of trees without having to actually paint individual trees.

Time to get those brushes back out! Looking forward to see your next painting!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Time to get those brushes back out!
YES!
Quote:
I've always been more of a graphite-comfortable artist,
Drawing is so important! That helps. Keep painting!
wb