WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia
Rottie Pup ~ FINISHED

Hi all,

So I not to long found this website called "Paint my photo" where photographers share photo's for artist's to use and images are copyright free (which many of you probably know about).

And I found this little guy and I couldn't wait just have to give him a go (along with many others on the list). I think I may have bitten off more then I can chew, but I'm going to see how it goes. I'll get back to my keep watch WIP soon.

Thanks to the photographer DMajor for sharing such a great picture. Link to ref below.

http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/photo/rottweiler-puppy

Paper is Canson Cagrain drawing paper 138Lbs.
Pencils are Prisma premier.
Size is 26cm x 19cm.

So far I have just started laying in my values in black, starting with the darkest areas and working to the lights. Keeping my pencil sharp drawing in all the individual hairs. I'm not sure if I happy with the values at the moment so may possibly work on them some more to get the better form.

C&C are always welcomed and much appreciated. Thanks for looking.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast
Nottinghamshire, UK

Hails from England
Re: Rottie Pup WIP

Looks like your off to a real good start
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

ditto what Marie said!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Enthusiast
B.C. Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi smudged-blue. Good to see you back at work. Hope all is well with you and family. You are off to a great start with this. I think you have black dogs down to an art and this is going to be a looker. What a nice reference picture also.

http://petportraitsbypeggy.weebly.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Great looking fur and good beginning. Thanks for mentioning Paint My Photo. What an interesting side. I signed up and use the name Sammy. Hope to see you there.

Oil Pastel Society Member www.oilpastelsociety.com
My Blog www.artbysamh.blogspot.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States

There are some great photos and nice it is all royalty free. Sure will enjoy watching this come together
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving your input. I'm pleased if it has helped others to have mentioned "paint my photo" as there are some great references there (as well as in the ref lib here on WC), but one can never have to many references right .

I have a teeny tiny confession to make, last night I fluffed up my drawing, I used to much of the wrong color in the highlights and completely lost the shine in the coat, so have just redone the line drawing to give it another go, so will post an update once I get further along.

Peggy - Thanks for your thoughts for my family, our son is getting back to his usual self and in to mischief as if nothing has happened, although it was hard to see him in so much pain. He still has a cast on and hopefully know in 2 weeks if more surgery is need to remove the wires in his arm (depends if the bone grows over them to much). He also started school for the first time and has been going for a few days now.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Immortalized

Beautiful fur rendering, Smudged Blue - Will keep an eye on your thread - wonderful subject you chose as well

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
Germany

Very nice start! I'm glad your son is getting better .

www.angela-matuschka.jimdo.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Sorry to hear you're having to start over, that's always a bummer. Your first go was looking great, but I bet the new version will be even better! Glad your son is doing better.

Gail
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia

Thank you Karen, Angela and Gail.

Well here is small update, not much further then what I was and thats because I have a question before I start adding more colors.

Is there anything you can see in the values or the form that needs adjusting? To me it looks as though I have pinched the sides of his face and stretched in out, it doesn't look like the sides of his face curve like they should, to me. And if thats the case I need to try and fix it now. My hubby thinks it looks how it should and that once I get the muzzle in it will all come together in form. What do you see? I'm hoping to work more on this tomorrow.

I had the camera on the wrong white balance setting which is why it looks a little blue and it's to late to take another picture. If you need a better image just let me know. Thanks for your help.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States

Wow how did you do that, almost the same. Like your tonal values.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia

Thank you neliva, I noticed after I posted my second attempt that they were very similar, even though I had changed my mapping on my line drawing.

I have another update, this is basically most of my blacks done, however I'm likely to tweak things as I work, but pretty pleased with how it is going so far.

C&C are always welcomed.

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast
B.C. Canada

Hails from Canada

Sometimes it helps to get some of the other colors in so you have something to judge your values by. I always have to tweak areas. This is going to be a beaut!!! I love doing the black and tan dogs. I'll look back in later.

http://petportraitsbypeggy.weebly.com/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Immortalized

This is going to be great - you really have pulled off great black fur here!

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/