WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States
I may be 'vintage' but my art appeals...

...to my DD's high school friend! She liked all my paintings, she was in 'AWE' looking at my paintings, even the paintings I do not like, I was so flattered! I know my art doesn't appeal to other artists because it is either: Not professional enough or because of the subject matter or both. That doesn't bother me any because I have the younger generation on my side. She was visiting because her father was having laser eye surgery. I told her to pick out a picture she likes and I will paint it for her. She liked ALL OF IT, unbelievable.

Here is a sampling:

My Cassandra Cat's Etsy Shop >'.'< https://www.etsy.com/shop/UntoldCatDreams?ref=si_shop >'.'<
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: I may be 'vintage' but my art appeals...

i dont know how they cant appeal to all- as they are so well painted and no one can take that away from you- well done.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

I see your art as , well of a dreamy quality, very much Like your user name Floaty .....while it may not be the realist or painterly style I'm mostly about .... It doesn't mean I can't like and love the things I see in it .... I'm a fan of your extensive use of color ....keep painting what works for you...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

These have a wonderful Bob Ross quality. I like them a lot, and would like to see you paint from a subject not in your head - you'd make some beautiful paintings
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

You may want to have a look at the painter Joseph Mallord William Turner.

Here is a link to some of his work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jose...w=1280&bih=709

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States

Kate-Thanks a bunch.

Alexandra-You are to sweet for words.

dafy-Bob Ross rocks! Only a couple of my paintings are from my imagination, most are from viewing the masters and going my own way with them.

Freesail-Thanks for the link, one of the paintings I did on this page was from using Turner's work and I turned it around into my own.

My Cassandra Cat's Etsy Shop >'.'< https://www.etsy.com/shop/UntoldCatDreams?ref=si_shop >'.'<
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Freesail-Thanks for the link, one of the paintings I did on this page was from using Turner's work and I turned it around into my own.

Yep your swirls reminded me of him, why I made the suggestion. He was one of the first artist that I can think of to bridge what is almost abstract with representational art

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail
Yep your swirls reminded me of him, why I made the suggestion. He was one of the first artist that I can think of to bridge what is almost abstract with representational art

What a complement, I think it was a complement. Thank you. I like Turner's moody paintings; in my mind, as you mentioned, I equate swirls with mood, lol. The art 'terms' I don't get very well, but, I do know the new generation of kids today like 'different'...

Edit again-
There are so many grey areas between the art 'terms'...

Last edited by FloatingDove : 02-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingDove
What a complement, I think it was a complement. Thank you. I like Turner's moody paintings; in my mind, as you mentioned, I equate swirls with mood, lol. The art 'terms' I don't get very well, but, I do know the new generation of kids today like 'different'...

Edit again-
There are so many grey areas between the art 'terms'...

Yep, that is the way it was meant ..... Now go paint

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States

I was painting for a couple of hours, thank you for your permission to tell me to paint. A couple of hours working on trees.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

FloatingDove - Bob Ross definitely rocks! He is the main reason I became a painter. And I agree, go paint, we need to see more from you
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States

Wow, can't believe it dafy. Speaking of Bob Ross, his squirrels rock too. Idea: Insert a squirrel somewhere into the painting I am working on now...

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

LOL ok please don't do that.

I don't know if I liked BR more because of his freedom with painting, or his monk-like demeanour. All I know is he always made me feel at peace
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Enthusiast
The Paw Project >'.'<

Hails from United States

A small one in one of the trees...in honor of BR, lol. I wish I had his peaceful demeanor, mine is so agitated these days. Kids will do that. Pets too, come to think of it. Especially DOGS who Know that the bathroom is outside.

Last edited by FloatingDove : 02-01-2013 at 11:17 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I don't have kids. But my two kitties Pebbles and BamBam are 75% peace, 25% holy terror to me

I'm quite agitated often myself, but I find most of it comes from myself, I am my own worst enemy. Maybe I should be painting squirrels, myself