WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Re: Oil painting during pregnancy?

I apologize, my words were overly harsh, for sure. But I responded as I did because if the OP took your post to heart, she might very likely not paint merely out of guilt, which is why I said what I did. You are certainly not uneducated, and I apologize for over-reacting.

Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
With all due respect, my statement is neither political, uneducated nor BS. Nor is it based upon some sort of "belief system." The hazardous nature of solvents is fairly well documented. A quick google search will reveal that numerous websites specifically created for pregnancy health issues recommend limiting the exposure to solvents. My recommendation is to talk to her doctor. If I am guilty of anything, it is the philosophy of "better to be safe than sorry."

Here is a link to the hazardous nature of solvents:

http://www.chicagoartistsresource.or...nd-substitutes

I might add that solvents such as Turpenoid Natural have sparked a good deal of debate on these forums regarding whether or not they are really much safer. Since I am not a chemist, I can not answer the question, but there have been quite a few members over the years that have had backgrounds in chemistry that have suggested that there are chemicals in Turpenoid Natural that are unhealthy. So a "non-toxic" label does not necessarily mean that it is OK to use during pregnancy.

Don
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
I might add that solvents such as Turpenoid Natural have sparked a good deal of debate on these forums regarding whether or not they are really much safer. Since I am not a chemist, I can not answer the question, but there have been quite a few members over the years that have had backgrounds in chemistry that have suggested that there are chemicals in Turpenoid Natural that are unhealthy. So a "non-toxic" label does not necessarily mean that it is OK to use during pregnancy.

Don

Natural turpenoid can contain small quantities of hazardous chemicals. So do a lot of natural - or synthetic - substances. Smoked sausages for example. The question is: is the amount high enough to be troublesome?

Here (here being Germany in my case) substances have to be labelled if they are considered hazardous. Used to be black symbols on orange ground and S- and R- sentences that list risk and safety measures. This system is replaced now by an international one, with black symbols on white ground and H- and P-sentences listing risks and precautions.

For example, a substance that may hurt the unborn for sure would be labelled with H360, if such risk is only suspected with H361. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_statement

Both the old and the new system have codes that warn against risk to the unborn, fertility or health. That information must be on the label and further information must be provided by the producer; for example if there is only a suspicion about a risk for humans.

Since I am not in the US, I can't confirm that the same system is in place there, too, but considering the fact that the risk labeling system has been internationalized and the the US usually is very concious about proper labelling, I believe it very likely. On the other hand, I would be very surprised and shocked if - after the first decade of the 21st century is over - a manufacturer would not be punished for placing a non-toxic label on a substance that would cause harm to the unborn.

In short, I would consult the safety sheet of the solvent and colour manufacturer. I had to contact a manufacturer recently because of a similiar question and found the telephone service very helpful and fast. Within minutes I had pdfs with the information I needed.

If in doubt - for example when using an old supply of solvents or colours - replace those with unclear risks and replace them with those categorized according to modern standards. I had to do that recently with some of the chemicals we keep in our school, that might have been contaminated.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbareola
Natural turpenoid can contain small quantities of hazardous chemicals. So do a lot of natural - or synthetic - substances. Smoked sausages for example. The question is: is the amount high enough to be troublesome?

That is indeed the question! That is why I urged the poster to discuss this with her physician and not depend on health labeling. The labeling here in the US does not seem to be as clear as your system.

I just went through about an hours worth of threads on Turpenoid Natural and believe that your statement above is exactly what sparked most of the debate. It may contain ingredients which are potentially harmful (the actual ingredients are not actually known - at least in the info I read), but are only harmful at greater quantities. Since Turpenoid Natural is labeled "non-toxic" the assumption can be made that the quantities are well below any level to be concerned about and people should feel confident that the product is non-toxic. I hope my comments did not cause anyone undo concern regarding the potential toxicity of Turpenoid Natural. Based on the health labeling, it should be a safer alternative to the usual solvents used in oil painting.

It should also be noted that a large number of posters over the years have mentioned that they would only use Turpenoid Natural as a brush cleaner after painting and not use Turpenoid Natural as an ingredient in a medium or for "swishing" their brushes in while painting. I've never used it myself, so I can't make a judgment from experience.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

All of Don's advice is sound.

I am a 61 year old man with no intentions of ever getting pregnant... but!
What is the safest thing you can do? avoid all solvent and toxic substance contact while pregnant. Can this be done and still oil paint? yes, I often do it myself.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 02-03-2013 at 06:13 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Northern NY

Thank you so much everyone for the information. I have researched the paints that I am using and they are non-toxic (yay!). I've also given up the odorless paint thinner and started using linseed oil instead. Don't even miss the paint thinner!

I have pretty good instincts when it comes to my kids, and I really do feel okay about continuing to paint with the materials that I am using. I will still bring it up with my doctor at my next appointment, but I think everything that I'm using is considered safe.

Joyce
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I can only give you anecdotal evidence about my own experience with pregnancy and painting. I had two children 40 years ago or so, and I not only didn't give up painting, I didn't give up smoking!

Neither of my children remember my smoking (I haven't smoked for 23 years) and seem shocked when I tell them I did. They are perfectly healthy except the first one had a low birth weight.

Pregnancy can be miserable, and painting is the perfect way to occasionally sit on cloud nine.The only time I give up painting for a while is if I'm in the hospital or too sick. And neither of those keep me from drawing and sketching.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
alaska

Quote:
The labeling here in the US does not seem to be as clear as your system.
The US system is not quite as clear cut, but we do have a progressive labeling system. On toxic chemical labels you will see one of three words: Caution, Warning, or Danger.