WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Quick-Dry-Cafe February 2013

Good morning all - Feb's cafe open for business!

Last page for January

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northwestern PA

Hails from United States
Re: Quick-Dry-Cafe February 2013

Are you kidding me?!?! It's February already?? geesh!

Sometimes, life is a bowl of cherries, sometimes it's the pits.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
A WC! Legend
Okeechobee, Florida

Hails from United States

Morning all!! Time just seems to fly by!
Have a great day all!!
off to the Shop!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM

Howard......I'm just across the bay from Forked River....north end of LBI.....if you haven't been to Forked River recently, you are in for a bustling area with recent influx of NYC area retirees .......55/over communities everywhere....

you would need brighter lights to ride your bike there now.....

'blue
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Patti, I grew up in New Jersey, went into the Air Force, traveled to Greece and Turkey, then Wright Patterson AFB just north of Dayton. When discharged, entered DAI and lived in Ohio for a couple years before moving to Florida. Darn it, after moving here and trying desperately to discourage it, most of my family followed me here. I went to USF and the Ringling College of Art and Design (then it was known as the Ringling School of Art and Design). That is the short version. Now I teach at Ringling now and again.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

It is amazing how many folks are from or were from Jersey...Bob was...and had an undying love of scrapple...shudder......but no matter how long he lived in the south, would NOT eat grits, which I love. Lots of "used to live in Ohioans" as well, like me...haha!

A brisk 30° this morning....brrrr!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Hi Gang

Those helmet lights are very impressive Howard - WOW!

Just had the tree surgeon here and he's coming to cut the Euc. down and cart the debris away next Thursday.
We have more work for him too, a large beech tree which cuts a lot of light from neighbouring properties - not to mention bringing evenings earlier for us because of the shadow it creates. However, we have to contact the council in case there's a TPO on it
If you don't have those conditions in the States, it's a Tree Preservation Order.
So just hoping there are no 'tree huggers' around here!

Much as we love trees, in gardens the big ones can be a BIG nuisance.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Howard...that art project looks fascinating! How does he preserve it when it's done? I was surprised at some of the negative responses in the comment section...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Susan......I think it's your upbringing on your food likes and dislikes......I spent a lot of time in the service in GA and three of my children went to school in the South, but I never could develop a 'taste' for grits, but love the Northern version, 'Cream of Wheat'.......

'blue
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Bismarck ND

Hails from United States

Howard, glad you are biking! Bet it feels good!
Maureen, so sorry about your tree. Bet it will be a strange backyard for while.
Cream of Wheat with cocoa powder mixed in--that's what my mom did for me. (even tho there was the choco version, that would mean buying something extra, when you could make it yourself.)

I have my 1st official art show tonight at an official art gallery! (Though I am not the main attraction---I'm the side show! ) Trying not to be excited!

It was -19f yesterday morning (not including windchill) Is warming up today. Suppose to be in the 30s tomorrow or Sunday. Will be a real treat!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Ruth, congratulations on your show. No matter the size it is exposure.

Maureen, we have similar regulations here in some states. We can't cut down ancient oak trees. Have to get special permission. Sorry to hear that the whole tree must be removed. Been considering ridding the yard of the lady palm. They are very aggressive and invasive. Didn't realize that when I planted them. May replace with a dwarf blue silver dollar eucalyptus. Would be pleasant against the gray of the house. Plant around the base with decorative plants.

Thought I would be a slug today but it turns out I am not. Went to the market, the whole food store, Michael's, Best Buy, Sports Authority, then the Fresh Market. Came home for lunch

No bike ride today. Have to skip a day now and again to allow muscles time to pull it together.

Painted a bit this morning and am getting ready to head back out there. I just let layers dry a bit before going on.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Buckeye living with the Gators

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
Susan......I think it's your upbringing on your food likes and dislikes......I spent a lot of time in the service in GA and three of my children went to school in the South, but I never could develop a 'taste' for grits, but love the Northern version, 'Cream of Wheat'.......

'blue
Grits are from corn... you know, like hominy grits, do you like hominy? Baked cheese grits are yummy!!!

Maureen we have all kinds of restrictions on trees, some depending on where your live. Where we lived in Georgia it depended on the circumference of the tree unless it was infected by a bug or something. We had to have a couple pine trees cut down that were prohibited from cutting because of the circumference (they were big), except they ended up with pine borers... alive one day, dead the next. Those pine borers don't mess around and actually I was sad to see the trees go. Here in Florida and the county we live in, some trees are also protected if they are a certain size. Others are considered a nuisance or non-native.

Howard I think it is interesting how or what made people move. We were transferred by Jon's company, otherwise we would probably still be in Ohio. I liked it though. It was interesting living in all the different places and I like the south. We left our family behind though.

Good luck on your show Ruth.

My Blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Patti

I must admit I've never ever had hominy, nor hominy grits......and I have a son and family living in Ohio.....I've traveled extensively through out this wonderful country and never had hominy, nor been exposted to it...have no idea what it is....

Just a Jersey boy.....bagels and blintzes up North and Cheese Steak Subs further South

'blue
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States

Ohio must be the central vortex of America. I have a son who's an Air Force officer living in Ohio while he works on his PhD in physics at the Air Force Institute of Technology in Dayton.

I don't think he eats grits, though. Sounds like something that would stop a person up.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Hominy is dried corn soaked in a lye solution. Frequently used in southern and Mexican dishes. You might have had it and not realized.

Did work in the studio today and enjoyed it. A shame so much else got in the way.

Lots of yard work done today.

Got a new light for my bike today, LED color changer and it is on the spokes. I think I am trying to find something every day that makes me smile, or, just having a second childhood.

Hope everybody had a great day.