WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Partner: WetCanvas Live! > Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Immortalized
Hamilton, Ontario

Hails from Canada
New Course- Elements of Form with Kenneth Vloothuis Discussion

Elements of Form with Ken Vloothuis!

Join Ken for a rigorous study on the elements of form, of what makes something appear the way it does through the intense study of the components in light and shadow. Ken will refer to largely to Sargent’s method of simplifying the complexity of what you see into practical paintable terms. He will analyze each of the following elements and absolutely everything implied therein:

1) Highlight or light accent
2) Light
3) Local tone
4) Halftone
5) Shadow (core and cast)
6) Reflected light
7) Dark accent
Ken will also cut through all the confusion and clichés involved in the very controversial field of study of color temperature, and its subtle transitions as well as discussing alternative theories through the usage of painting demos.This highly recommended course will be a preliminary for future courses in landscape, still life, and most particularly in the challenging study of portraiture; for the artist, to have a practical theory or approach to painting form, is as necessary as the scientific method is to the scientist.

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM EST.
DATES: 3 Saturdays: February 16th - March 2nd
Fee: $9.99 Fee only includes taking the live classes. Recorded videos to be sold separately. The original fee will be deducted from the retail price.
Requirements: High speed internet (aprox. 1.5 MB download speed). An optional $3.99 fee may required if you wish to avoid occasional ads on the streaming video on ustream.tv.

To register
http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcan...-of-form-u6481

Last edited by Johannes Instructor : 01-31-2013 at 01:59 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Pinellas Park, Florida

Hails from United States
Re: New Course- Elements of Form with Kenneth Vloothuis Discussion

Purchased and registered - ready to go! I am looking forward to your class, Ken!

Micki
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 AM
oCDs01-711

So did I! I've moved and haven't touched a brush for months. This will motivate me!

Shirley
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Great, everyone is in for a treat!!! Thanks for your support,
Ken
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5047103&type=3

That is most updates site for my work, and it is entirely under my control in terms of its updates and content. I am thinking of creating a blog or site with more paintings, including the study of figure or gesture drawing, in case anyone is interested in that field as well...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Pinellas Park, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Instructor
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5047103&type=3

That is most updates site for my work, and it is entirely under my control in terms of its updates and content. I am thinking of creating a blog or site with more paintings, including the study of figure or gesture drawing, in case anyone is interested in that field as well...

Hi Ken:

Yes, I am interested in following your blog - your study at University, drawing and painting. Please count me in.

I enjoyed viewing your gallery and hope to see many more examples of your work.

Micki
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Palmerston North, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Looking forward to another great class with you Ken.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Interested yes please
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Looking forward to new class. Is that last picture in the first group on your Facebook page painted at the 'Grand Canyon of Yellowstone'? Nice to recognize old haunts.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechmate53
Looking forward to new class. Is that last picture in the first group on your Facebook page painted at the 'Grand Canyon of Yellowstone'? Nice to recognize old haunts.

Yes, I think you are referring to Yellowstone falls. I think it is called Yellowstone canyon, I am not sure. It was a quick sketch I decided to preserve because it rained terribly on me and half the time I was struggling to keep the umbrella steady that Johannes kindly rescued me with. If it had not been for that I would have been painting in pure rain. My hands were cold, stiff and clammy, and had to use the thickest paint possible. It hardly worked. The rain actually began to pick up the paint and left a grainy, scraped or freckled look to the canvas, which I thought was terribly interesting and very expressive of the grey-purple day. I needed to get the play of purple and yellow. The canvas is an 11 by 14, though I have not figured out how to make it a larger composition. I just do not have enough info.

My upcoming course will explain EVERYTHING I know about form, light, temperature etc. After years of meticulous study, theorizing and bumping into confusion, I finally found the key to handling any situation. With this you will not even need to paint what you see, but will work from what you understand or know will work. If you understand the next course, you can help me teach you more sophisticates areas such as portrait and figure drawing/painting. But you need to understand light, planes and form. I highly recommend this because if anyone thinks of taking futre courses with me, I will always assume a certain degree of prior knowledge of my previous courses. I will always reference concepts I thoroughly explained in previous webinars. Some students give me the most loaded questions I cannot answer in a sentence, but I can lead them to the whoooole answer in other webinars. I will remind and restate key ideas, but if you do not want my answers to sound too convoluted it is because you need to understand the stuff I am slowly using to build future webinars on. I am designing the webinars in a certain sequence, so that I tackle the meticulous concepts, detail-istic or specific ideas that you need in order to benefit more fully from what Johannes and I have done. We made an agreement to leave the nitty-gritty basic (but not so basic) stuff to me; funny, since all problems in painting arise from a failure to understand this. My work load is no less. Johannes gave the golden nuggets that will be more beneficial to whoever has the necessary skills and understanding to use it, to go to the next level. What use is the 'melodic line' concept if your problems are at a more fundamental level of understanding? Can you understand form? Temperature? What a gray subject would look like under a certain light? DO you even understand light? How to make things glow? Things like this need to be tackled before expecting to deal with other more key concepts that will take the advanced artist to the elite level.
So that is that. I promise I will not fail you at this. After this course, unless there is a change of plans or learning curve as the webinar unfolds, I will give the portrait class, on building the head, then after that the features, then hands, then composition, then edges. Sargent, Zorn and Sorolla will always be discussed in my webinars, so if you are into them, you are in luck!!!!
I am Kenneth Vloothuis.... and I approve this message! ajahahah
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Yes I need this! Just signed up and going to Facebook now. Thank You!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Pinellas Park, Florida

Hails from United States

"Kenneth Vloothuis" you are - and I am excited to venture on with you in the upcoming Webinars. The more we learn, the more there is to learn.

Micki
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States
Wink Re: New Course- Elements of Form with Kenneth Vloothuis Discussion

Purchased and registered - ready to go! I am looking forward to your class, Ken! dor

Facebook is unavailable at the moment.......so I will try again later.........thank you.........

Last edited by chalet_dor : 02-04-2013 at 01:58 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM

I'm sorry to miss this class do to other plans, but will most definitely be buying as soon as available. thank you
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Florida

Hails from United States
Wink Re: New Course- Elements of Form with Kenneth Vloothuis Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Instructor

My upcoming course will explain EVERYTHING I know about form, light, temperature etc. I will always assume a certain degree of prior knowledge of my previous courses. I will always reference concepts I thoroughly explained in previous webinars. Some students give me the most loaded questions I cannot answer in a sentence, but I can lead them to the whoooole answer in other webinars. I will remind and restate key ideas, but if you do not want my answers to sound too convoluted it is because you need to understand the stuff I am slowly using to build future webinars on. I am designing the webinars in a certain sequence, so that I tackle the meticulous concepts, detail-istic or specific ideas that you need in order to benefit more fully from what Johannes and I have done. We made an agreement to leave the nitty-gritty basic (but not so basic) stuff to me; funny, since all problems in painting arise from a failure to understand this. My work load is no less. Johannes gave the golden nuggets that will be more beneficial to whoever has the necessary skills and understanding to use it, to go to the next level. What use is the 'melodic line' concept if your problems are at a more fundamental level of understanding? Can you understand form? Temperature? What a gray subject would look like under a certain light? DO you even understand light? How to make things glow? Things like this need to be tackled before expecting to deal with other more key concepts that will take the advanced artist to the elite level.
So that is that. I promise I will not fail you at this. After this course, unless there is a change of plans or learning curve as the webinar unfolds, I will give the portrait class, on building the head, then after that the features, then hands, then composition, then edges. Sargent, Zorn and Sorolla will always be discussed in my webinars, so if you are into them, you are in luck!!!!
I am Kenneth Vloothuis.... and I approve this message! ajahahah

Oh Ken......I read this and smile. I am the dumb one.........but I will be in your class..............dor : ))