WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Apparently, my own world

Hails from United States
Tea Kettle (WIP?)

I've been eyeing this tea kettle sitting on the bookcase for quite a while. Finally decided to paint it.

Still think it needs something but not sure what. Any thoughts, comments, or missing suchness (ok, maybe that's not a word) would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michael

11 X 14 Oil on Panel

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  111.8 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Mars

Hails from United States
Re: Tea Kettle (WIP?)

I think it looks great so far
IMO I would lighten lightest spots and darken some darker spots. Maybe some very bright small highlights on it to give it more of that metal look. I havnt painted much metal but it is difficult to get right. I usually just have to adjust it a few times to get it how I want.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Yes, it needs highlights: The kind of specular reflection (highlight) often tells us what the object is made of (wood vs. metal for example) and even what kind of metal (brushed steel, chrome, etc.).

Right now, the kettle is modeled pretty well but it may be clay, wood, etc. without the highlights.

Pretty unusual (but not bad) lighting choice, it looks like it's coming from behind-right of the pot.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Apparently, my own world

Hails from United States

Thanks for the replies, guys. When I was painting it, the highlights looked at lot brighter, almost too bright, I thought. As it's dried though, I can definitely see they need punched up a bit. And darken the darks as Evan said.

Never did get the color right. It's more of a copper/green/brown hue. Evan, you're right, painting metal is not as easy as it looks. After the fist layer, it was very yellow. I glazed a layer of brown ochre over the whole thing, then another. Decided in the end that I didn't mind where it was at so I left it.

The lighting is coming from the back right. I put a table in my studio and hung a flexible neck lamp on the wall. I placed it on that side because I'm left-handed (or correct-handed as I like to say. All of you righties are backwards ). It's easier to paint shadows that way. Would it be "better" to extend the lamp to more directly on top of the subject or maybe more from the side? I'm starting to pay more attention to how everyone sets up their still life paintings and I have room to modify my set up.