WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq
A still life for my neighbor

Hello my friends in art
Few weeks ago one of my neighbors asked me to paint a still life for her .When i started painting i received a message from an art group at face book to participate in an exhibition so i decided to participate with this still life painting .When the exhibition finished i published it at my FB page ...i got a great success and praising for this still life painting that i decided to keep it and paint another one for my neighbor (who has not seen it yet) .Now i am working in another still life painting for her .
Here is the still life painting which is oil on canvas 50x60 cm .
What do you think of it ?
Thanks in advance for watching and commenting

Sana

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Windhoek

Hails from Namibia
Re: A still life for my neighbor

Very nice painting & congratulations on getting great feedback. A few areas could use some color variation, like the cloth ... to give it more life, but you managed exactly this on the focal points on it, so its all good. The roses are lovely!!!

In regards to not giving this one to the neighbours ... my only advice would be not to hold done artworks too dear. Its obviously a good idea to keep a few milestone pieces, so as to judge your progress in skills, but you may find the next still life you do is even better, at which time you could given them this one ... but I'm generally speaking about being too protective over works.

Oh well, you'll find your own way ;-)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

The rendition and colors are nice and soft and pleasing. I like the coloring and lack of variations such as in the cloth. But I am wondering about the drawing. The table looks like it is rising substantially on the left hand side rather than being level. I have drawn two lines on the front and the back of the table, the front is in line with the tablecloth crease and the back line is drawn consistent with the back, where it is exposed, between the objects. The front line looks level except where the table rises at the left, and the back doesn't look level. The large vase also seems to be swooping up to the left, at the center divide between the blue/green and tan, top and bottom halves.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 01-30-2013 at 08:58 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq

Hi Nico ....thanks a lot for liking my painting ....regarding the second painting ...yes it seems that i like it more than the first one !!! I think i should start a third painting for her
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 AM
A Local Legend
Brazil

Hails from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
...The table looks like it is rising substantially on the left hand side rather than being level....
That's true, and this characteristics is a point of force of this composition.

The border of the table is inclined, because the table itself is not exactly in front of the observer, but at an angle, with its right side (left for the observer) a bit farther than the left side from the plane of the canvas.

What is the artistic consequence of this violation of the classic rule of the border of the table being exactly horizontal? First, this rule is so widespread that it is boring; second, and most important, this asymmetry gives the composition dynamism, force, aliveness, originality.

I would like to draw your attention to the correspondence between this inclination to the left (for the observer) of the border of the table and the dynamic tendency of the left rose towards the same direction: this creates a diagonal line of force, a spinal column within the composition, and this embedded movement is one of the marks of a creative work of art: it gives life to a otherwise static composition!

As far as the other border is concerned, you are right, there is an extra inclination that Sana will easily correct, making of this work an excellent one.

Eduardo
"God gave the artist a window towards other worlds"
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Quote:
The border of the table is inclined, because the table itself is not exactly in front of the observer, but at an angle, with its right side (left for the observer) a bit farther than the left side from the plane of the canvas.
Providing that the table has a level top, and the table is at angle to the observer, then it will still form one contiguous and straight line that follows proper perspective.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 01-31-2013 at 07:56 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast
Italy

Hails from Italy

Beautiful painting Sana, I find the artistic analysis of Eduardo and Sidbledsoe very interesting

Gianni
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq

giannik...Thanks a lot for the compliment !!!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, very beautiful painting Sana. I like the colours very much and also the still geometric quiet style. I confirm what has written above by Eduardo and Sid and know from own experiance how difficult it is to keep lines in a still life.

What I propose and did not right myself in the past is to get away from too horizontal and vertical lines. Try to bring in declining lines or inclination. It brings more power without reducing the geomatric and quiet expression effect. It is difficult but worth to give it a try in your next works.

Best wishes, Max
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq

Hello MaxHappy to hear from you after so long time ...also very happy to know that you liked my painting ..Thanks a lot for your advice which i will take into consideration in my next works ..best regards

Sana
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 AM
A Local Legend
Brazil

Hails from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Klinger
...to get away from too horizontal and vertical lines. Try to bring in declining lines or inclination. It brings more power without reducing the geomatric and quiet expression effect. It is difficult but worth to give it a try in your next works...
You are expressing here, clearly, an important concept: the convenience of taking movement into a still life, so it is "still' only in its name.

Difficult, but a lot less if we think of the inclined lines as part of a whole: the "line of force" (generally a diagonal) that crosses the canvas and, instead of dividing it, animates it with an implied flow.

Eduardo
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
You are expressing here, clearly, an important concept: the convenience of taking movement into a still life, so it is "still' only in its name.
Yes but how to incorporate it here? Maybe play with the sheet?

Nice greens!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 AM
A Local Legend
Brazil

Hails from Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbob
Yes but how to incorporate it here?...
It is already incorporated in this Sana's work, please see my post #5.

Eduardo
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast
Baghdad Iraq

Hails from Iraq

Hello wetbob....Here is my painting after correcting the second border of the table ...i left the other border as it is because you can see how the rose decidedly going to the left (of the observer ) how this harmonizes with the border of the table going up on the left and how these two facts become just one : a visual movement within the scene .
Hope that this explains the convenience of taking movement into a still life .
Thanks for watching .

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Lord of the Arts

it s a beautiful painting
Quote:
It is already incorporated in this Sana's work, please see my post #5.

Eduardo
Sorry, i thought in an other direction