Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Grainy paint – I need your help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Cypress11

I am an artist who has been painting for about 2 years and I’ve ALWAYS had difficulty with acrylics. I hate acrylics (see my name) because I can never get the paint to apply correctly. When I attempt detailed work or just want to blend, the paint and color look very grainy and never stick correctly. I understand the basic science of painting – fat over lean. I will give you a list of things I have tried:

1. Changing brushes (no matter the quality – I have everything from artists’ loft to windsor acryllic brushes). I’ve tried watercolour, acrylic, and oil brushes, from natural to synthetic.

2. Adding Matte Gel, thick, heavy, or soft gloss. – doesn’t work

3. Practiced loading and unloading paint to the brush – shovel techniques and so on.

4. changing variations of how much water is added – from no water to a lot of water.

5. Switched from inorganic to organic paints and so on.

6. Worked on different angles I have used for my brush while painting – from 90 to 15 degrees, I’ve tried it. I’ve also tried how much pressure I’ve applied while painting and it doesn’t work.

7. Used different brands from Liquitex Basics (for some reason, these tend to work much better) to Golden (works the worst of all paints). I am not sure why Golden is such a terrible paint for me to use, as I love their hues, but it is horrible when trying to paint detail.

8. Switched canvases from artists loft to Artists’ quality canvases only.

It seems like I’ve tried everything and absolutely nothing works. I need help because I want to be able to use acrylics due to the ease of cleaning and are less toxic than oils. I mean seriously, it looks horrible – from trying to paint a thin line to trying and blend.

Guide

Fat over lean doesn’t apply in acrylics.
            Matte medium is created by starting with gloss medium and adding a powder to make it matte. Acrylics are naturally gloss.
            Even satin or low gloss will have this powder added.
            Would like to see some of what you are talking about. Grainy results may have to do with adding to much water (an effect I sometimes try to recreate).
            Some colors are naturally grainy.
            When you say they don’t stick properly are you saying the paint will come off of the surface?
            If you are using an oil primed canvas, that may be an issue.
            Other than that, without seeing examples of the issues it is really difficult to evaluate.

Other than that keep painting, 500 to 600 more paintings under the belt might be beneficial as well.

Wishing you good painting.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Don Ketchek

Just curious – when you say you can’t get the paint to apply correctly – what do you mean by correctly? It seems like you are comparing it to something else – oils perhaps?

Each medium is quite different and has its own methods and feel. If you are used to the long open time of oils, acrylics will feel different. You can not blend the same way as the paint dries very quickly. If you are used to watercolors, acrylics will feel different.

Painting with a brush has its own trials and tribulations. It is not easy to get the paint to do exactly what you want it to do. It takes a lot of practice – and even then there are always limitations as to what is possible. It seems like you have tried many different things, but perhaps you are over-experimenting and over-thinking things. As mentioned, there is no fat over lean on acrylics. You don’t want to add too much water (or probably anything else). Keep your paint as simple as possible. That would be my suggestion.

Good luck!

Don

Sixoclock

Hopefully you’ll be able to find lots of help here. I had a lot of issues when I first started out and it took me quite some time to work past them – find out what works and what does not – and then to just get relaxed. Feel free to message me with any questions you have as well. I am no expert, but I am willing to help.

I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish..? What style of painting are you going for? Can you provide any examples from other artists perhaps? Something so we can see what you are trying to accomplish? It might help us offer more information for you.

Pawn.

My Art Blog:
                    www.pawnferal.wordpress.com

NeilF92

I’ve used Acrylics for some 30 years . Even now – every painting I start out has an initial phase of being downright dispiriting – patchy , grainy , not what i intended etc.
                        The answer is to keep on overpainting layer on layerr . Eventually the canvas surface fils and smoths and the paint becomes much more biddable .
                        No gels , mediums or other such rubbish required . just apply the paint and it will work out eventually.

BeeCeeEss

When I first began painting with acrylics, I hated them, too–I mean HATED THEM! But I was an oil painter for many years before that and I had a certain set of expectations of how paint should behave, etc. Well, I found out the hard way, acrylics are very different and will behave according to their own unique properties.

There are many things that can cause difficulties at first: finding the right type of surface to paint on; finding the right type of brushes for the sort of painting you want to do; finding the right type of acrylic paint for your needs (from heavy body to fluid, they offer very different working characteristics).

I love to paint on watercolor paper and use fluid acrylics to dilute into transparent washes and apply them usually by pre-wetting an area just before I float the color onto it. I have developed techniques for softening edges and doing blending with this method. I also use thicker, more opaque paint layers with watercolor paper as I progress onto the finished painting. For this type of painting, I usually use soft (mostly synthetic) watercolor brushes.

I also like to paint on finely woven canvas using an acrylic gesso ground and using thicker, heavy body paints as well as my favorite Golden Fluid Acrylic paints. On this sort of surface, I have found Golden’s Open Gel Medium to be very helpful in slowing the drying time of my paints and allowing me plenty of blending time. I may do transparent glazes or apply the paint in thicker, opaque layers or anything in between. For this type of painting and surface, I generally use stiffer brushes like natural hog bristle brushes and one of my favorite, Robert Simmons Titanium brushes. Also, scumbling is very helpful in spreading and blending heavy body acrylics. The special brush-loading techniques that oil painters use don’t help much with acrylics, at least I have found it to be so.

Trying to use a very soft brush, like a watercolor round, to apply heavy body acrylics in thick layers is very frustrating. That old saying about needing the right tools certainly applies here.

Always wet your brushes and then blot out the excess water before dipping them into acrylic paint. If you put a dry brush into acrylics, the paint may dry on the bristles/hairs and never come out.

Another thing that the budding acrylic painter must learn is acrylics are going to dry VERY FAST and once they start to feel a little tacky. STOP PAINTING and let that layer dry completely before continuing on. If you keep trying to spread this tacky paint, you will start to lift it and leave bare spots behind. Once this starts, no amount of muscle and determination will fix it.

Many acrylic painters use a fine mist spray bottle to spray their painting surface as they are trying to spread or blend a large area. This can be very helpful, but I have always found that they tend to sputter little blobs of water onto wet paint areas that leave undesirable marks.

You can pre-wet your painting surface with a fine layer of water before applying your paint. You can also use gels, mediums, retarders, etc. to apply a thin layer to paint into. They will help keep your paints wet and blendable a little longer.

As Howard mentioned, the “fat over lean” rule does not apply to acrylics.

Some colors, such as earth colors, are naturally more grainy than other colors.

Acrylics are not as opaque as oil paints are so you may need 2 or more layers to achieve the effect you want. One layer will rarely suffice.

Search this forum for handy painting tips. There are lots of very talented folks who can give you some good information.

Good luck.

Beverly

I love cooking with wines! Sometimes I even put it in the food! -- Julia Child

Cypress11

thank you everyone for your tips and advice. some of the things i have already tried or already knew (such as making sure it dries before continuing) which i really wish i would have learned a long time ago that held me back a while, but basically what I am having difficulty with is creating long, thin lines with acrylic because it seems that there is never enough paint to finish the line no matter how much, little, or whatever I add to it. the line always disappears and just never is bright enough. it just looks thin and small and highly translucent. i will add a picture of something that i was working on (rembrandt’s sea of gallilee) that kept messing up. please keep in mind i was practicing working with values and this was not meant to be a finished piece of art by any means. p.s. – anyone know how to upload pictures?

Cypress11

thank you everyone for your tips and advice. some of the things i have already tried or already knew (such as making sure it dries before continuing) which i really wish i would have learned a long time ago that held me back a while, but basically what I am having difficulty with is creating long, thin lines with acrylic because it seems that there is never enough paint to finish the line no matter how much, little, or whatever I add to it. the line always disappears and just never is bright enough. it just looks thin and small and highly translucent. i will add a picture of something that i was working on (rembrandt’s sea of gallilee) that kept messing up. please keep in mind i was practicing working with values and this was not meant to be a finished piece of art by any means.

BeeCeeEss

…but basically what I am having difficulty with is creating long, thin lines with acrylic because it seems that there is never enough paint to finish the line no matter how much, little, or whatever I add to it. the line always disappears and just never is bright enough. it just looks thin and small and highly translucent.

Long, thin lines are a problem for many acrylic painters. It is especially difficult with the heavy body acrylics because, if you thin the paint with enough water to make it flow in a thin line, the paint is much too transparent and weak to give the effect you want.

When I have to do fine detail, thin lines, etc., I always go to my Golden Fluid Acrylics and use a product called “flow improver” or “flow aid” to mix in with my water. Golden has such a product and so does Liquitex. I use either product and always follow the mixing instructions on the bottle. You only need a little of it added to your mixing water to help the paint flow off the brush much better. If you use too much of it, you could risk having your paint get frothy bubbles in it as you spread it on. It is basically like liquid dish detergent but without any color. It reduces surface tension in the water so the paint can flow better and more easily.

The fluid acrylics are also important because they are already thinner than heavy body acrylics but with the same pigment load so you don’t have to add as much water to get your paint as fluid as you need.

You can also try using a liner brush with the above products. Personally I have never found them very useful, but a lot of folks will swear by them.

Oddly, acrylic paints have the reputation for being much better at rendering detail but I always found that I could do as much or better detail with my oil paints as with acrylics. The oils just flow beautifully off the brush, especially when thinned just a bit for detailing, yet they don’t become weak or transparent like the acrylics do. Acrylic paints simply don’t seem to want to flow off your brush and you have to use a bit of “muscle” to persuade them (like scumbling, etc.). But that has just been my own experience. I know lots of folks who do incredible detailing with acrylics.

There are some other tricks you can try. If your painting is in its final stages and you just need to add a few thin lines (such as cat’s whiskers or the like) you can use colored pencils to make thin, opaque lines. Just don’t try to paint over them because the pencils are wax-based.

Beverly

Sixoclock

You could also try acrylic markers.

Pawn.

My Art Blog:
                                            www.pawnferal.wordpress.com

from my teacher, (compositional rules) “if there is a line, break it”.

AllisonR

I think you are fighting against the medium.

I use a LOT of texture in my acrylics. I even add pumice to them, to make them super grainy, which is the opposite of what you want to do. Acrylics are perfect for texture work, and not having to worry about fat over lean. It’s wonderful to be able to paint a thin wash over a thick pile of paint, to play with high gloss and matt in the same painting….

However, last year I started to paint in a more classical, realistic style. I was trying to get soft blends in skin tones, glazing, paints that didn’t switch color as they dried. I was doing neutral under paintings, and blending was nearly impossible. I was fighting against the medium; because this is not what acrylics are meant to do. Acrylics are wonderful for some things, but impossible for others. I was fighting against the medium, trying to make acrylics behave like oils. So I switched from acrylics to oils. Now I am not fighting against the medium, and it is behaving as I expect it, in fact surpassing my expectations.

I think before you say I will use acrylics or oils, you have to decide, HOW are you painting? Will this work with one medium much better than the other? If you HAVE to switch to acrylics, then you may have to switch your style – switch how you paint, and expect different results. Or if you HAVE to paint in your current style, then perhaps you have to continue in oils. No one can say what you should do; but I would suggest whatever you do, do not fight against the medium.

Another thought – Goldens makes 3 types of acrylics – heavy body, fluid, and Opens. All have huge pluses and benefits, and huge minuses. I have used them all. I bought the fluids to do glazing, but do not think they work well for that. The Opens have longer open times (though not as long as oils), and they are much better than all other acrylics for making smooth gradations and blends. However, Opens are not a substitute for oils. Oils are slippery, the brush slides across the canvas, the edges blend like crazy, a tiny drop of color x on the canvas blends like crazy when you put color y on top. Opens, and other acrylics, do not slide, but are pulled across the canvas, in a sort of tacky feel, the edges do not blend unless you push them into each other, and when you put color y on top of x it is mostly on top, not a mix.

Lines – try goldens clear tar gel.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                                mirizar

Another thing that the budding acrylic painter must learn is acrylics are going to dry VERY FAST and once they start to feel a little tacky. STOP PAINTING and let that layer dry completely before continuing on. If you keep trying to spread this tacky paint, you will start to lift it and leave bare spots behind. Once this starts, no amount of muscle and determination will fix it.

See, I use this quality of acrylics (quick drying and bare spots when paint is sprayed on) as an advantage sometimes in my paintings. It’s cool when you want to illustrate texture ;)

I still have a love-hate relationship with acrylics and tend to paint in layers mostly.

BeeCeeEss

Based on examples I have seen of numerous acrylic painters’ works, I have no doubt that it is possible to achieve pretty much any effect you wish with acrylic paints as well as with oil paints. However, getting to that end result may involve vastly different techniques to get the best out of the paints you choose.

Smooth, flawless blends are possible with acrylics, but I’ve never been able to achieve them the same way I did with oil paints. It requires a different approach to utilize the attributes of the acrylics rather than fighting with them to try to make them work like oils. This has always been a huge frustration for oil painters who try to learn to use acrylics.

As to the grainy issue, that term can apply to the graininess inherent in the paint itself as it is applied (earth colors are notorious for this), but it also may apply to the look of the paint after it dries on a rough surface such as a medium weight canvas weave. I have always hated the look of acrylics on medium weight canvas because, when the acrylic paint dries by evaporation, it loses volume, shrinks and sinks down into and around the canvas fibers leaving an unattractive “cheese grater” look. You will often see little white “pin holes” in the paint that are actually the tiny spaces between the warp and woof of the woven fibers. If the paint wasn’t forced down into these small spaces in the first few coats of paint, the white of the gesso ground shows through.

When I paint with acrylics on woven canvas, I choose a very finely woven type such as Fredrix’s Watercolor canvas (widely available) or the Yes! brand sold by Jerry’s Artarama or ASWexpress. The weave is fine enough to take very detailed work well, including fine lines, and it still has the look of woven canvas once the paint dries. No more cheese graters.

Beverly

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Grainy paint – I need your help.’ is closed to new replies.