WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Wydaho

Hails from United States
Best Notebook for Gouache?

I want to start an art journal to use with my new gouache paint. I thought that I would be able to use my regular Moleskine sketch notebook, but that was definitely a no... haha.

I looked at the watercolor Moleskine notebooks (I love my moleskines), but they only have about 30 pages. Can any of you recommend a good affordable notebook that has a lot of pages and good paper quality. I want it to be small enough to pack around in my purse.

Thanks heaps!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Best Notebook for Gouache?

Few suggestions:
--- Stillman & Birn Archival Sketchbooks "Delta Series" - These come in both hardbound or spiral-bound binding. Excellent paper.
--- Strathmore Hardbound "500 Series" Mixed Media Art Journal - 90 lb mixed media paper. Review here.

On the other hand, if you want exactly the paper you want (or are used to) and exactly the size you want, you can have your own sketchbook bound at FedEx Kinkos. Make a stack of papers to the size you need, cut two heavy board covers to fit, and take the stack to FedEx and ask for "coil binding". Viola!

Jan

Last edited by Studio-1-F : 01-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Wydaho

Hails from United States

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm defintiley looking for hardbound options. I ended up buying a Moleskine and a Strathmore based on your review. I'm excited to get them!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

HeatherDawn, I hope you'll join us over in the Gouache Corner in the Watercolor Studio. We like seeing any and all kinds of gouache paintings! Here's a link to January's thread. :wave
Gouache Blog
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Darlington

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Heather, I would recommend this for those wishing to create their own notebook, sketchbook or journal, the Cinch Bindery Tool V2. I was lucky i was offered one second hand, prior to that i hadn't considered such a tool but now i wouldn't be without it
All of the bought sketch books i have bought have paper which is too thin in my opinion, i find 90lb cockles so i try to use thicker paper when possible. There may be better ones available but they don't stock them at the 2 art shops i use.

Using this the Cinch allows me to build my own books, i can use 300lb HP papers together with 140lb cartridge paper which i really do like for Gouache. I often include a few pages of not also to offer a different surface texture but you could build yours using any paper you wish then using strong card for the covers to offer protection to the pages within.

Although they are not cheap, it would last you a lifetime and it would allow you to use a multitude of different papers.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Wydaho

Hails from United States

Thanks for the tip! That binding tool looks awesome and has great reviews. It's only about $75 on Amazon! I'll keep it in mind if I ever decide to make my own notebooks.

I use a Moleskine watercolor notebook right now that has 200 gsm cold press pages. Not sure how that converts to lbs, but I assume it's around 140 or less? I've found the paper to be plenty think. So far I've been able to paint on both sides of the paper with little problem.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn
a Moleskine watercolor notebook right now that has 200 gsm cold press pages. Not sure how that converts to lbs, but I assume it's around 140 or less? I've found the paper to be plenty think. So far I've been able to paint on both sides of the paper with little problem.

~97 lbs. 300 gsm is the equivalent to 140 lbs (given a 30x22 sheet of paper, since the pounds system fluctuates wildly by original paper size). For example, the Stillman & Birns are available in 270 gsm/180 lbs versions (also 150 gsm/100 lb). Toss out the "180 lbs" as a useless comparison - the grams per meter squared is a constant, the pounds isn't.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

I really like the Cason XL mixed media pads. They're pretty cheap and work well with light washes and wet media, as long as you don't get it toooo wet.