Home Forums Explore Media Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera Best Notebook for Gouache?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    HeatherDawn

I want to start an art journal to use with my new gouache paint. I thought that I would be able to use my regular Moleskine sketch notebook, but that was definitely a no… haha.

I looked at the watercolor Moleskine notebooks (I love my moleskines), but they only have about 30 pages. Can any of you recommend a good affordable notebook that has a lot of pages and good paper quality. I want it to be small enough to pack around in my purse.

Thanks heaps!

Studio-1-F

Few suggestions:
            — Stillman & Birn Archival Sketchbooks “Delta Series” – These come in both hardbound or spiral-bound binding. Excellent paper.
            — Strathmore Hardbound “500 Series” Mixed Media Art Journal – 90 lb mixed media paper. Review here.

On the other hand, if you want exactly the paper you want (or are used to) and exactly the size you want, you can have your own sketchbook bound at FedEx Kinkos. Make a stack of papers to the size you need, cut two heavy board covers to fit, and take the stack to FedEx and ask for “coil binding”. Viola! :thumbsup:

Jan

HeatherDawn

Thanks for the recommendations! I’m defintiley looking for hardbound options. I ended up buying a Moleskine and a Strathmore based on your review. I’m excited to get them!!

Deborah Secor

HeatherDawn, I hope you’ll join us over in the Gouache Corner in the Watercolor Studio. We like seeing any and all kinds of gouache paintings! Here’s a link to January’s thread. :wave

Deborah

"All glory to Him, who alone is God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                    Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
                    Gouache Blog

Phil Coleman

Hi Heather, I would recommend this for those wishing to create their own notebook, sketchbook or journal, the Cinch Bindery Tool V2. I was lucky i was offered one second hand, prior to that i hadn’t considered such a tool but now i wouldn’t be without it
                        All of the bought sketch books i have bought have paper which is too thin in my opinion, i find 90lb cockles so i try to use thicker paper when possible. There may be better ones available but they don’t stock them at the 2 art shops i use.

Using this the Cinch allows me to build my own books, i can use 300lb HP papers together with 140lb cartridge paper which i really do like for Gouache. I often include a few pages of not also to offer a different surface texture but you could build yours using any paper you wish then using strong card for the covers to offer protection to the pages within.

Although they are not cheap, it would last you a lifetime and it would allow you to use a multitude of different papers.

HeatherDawn

Thanks for the tip! That binding tool looks awesome and has great reviews. It’s only about $75 on Amazon! I’ll keep it in mind if I ever decide to make my own notebooks.

I use a Moleskine watercolor notebook right now that has 200 gsm cold press pages. Not sure how that converts to lbs, but I assume it’s around 140 or less? I’ve found the paper to be plenty think. So far I’ve been able to paint on both sides of the paper with little problem.

Hoplite

a Moleskine watercolor notebook right now that has 200 gsm cold press pages. Not sure how that converts to lbs, but I assume it’s around 140 or less? I’ve found the paper to be plenty think. So far I’ve been able to paint on both sides of the paper with little problem.

~97 lbs. 300 gsm is the equivalent to 140 lbs (given a 30×22 sheet of paper, since the pounds system fluctuates wildly by original paper size). For example, the Stillman & Birns are available in 270 gsm/180 lbs versions (also 150 gsm/100 lb). Toss out the “180 lbs” as a useless comparison – the grams per meter squared is a constant, the pounds isn’t.

I really like the Cason XL mixed media pads. They’re pretty cheap and work well with light washes and wet media, as long as you don’t get it toooo wet.

“Art is the only serious thing in the world. And the artist is the only person who is never serious.”
                                - Oscar Wilde

http://chrisortega.carbonmade.com
                              Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.