WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 AM

Sanctuary #4 - Finished

I tried posting this on the structured critique forum but it kept upchucking.

Colored pencil only on cold press Canson illustration board. I'm experimenting on different boards.

I love the photo I'm working from but I'm thinking the whole painting is too much in the orange/brown/red colors. I'm needing something to to tone it down maybe?
The smaller stained glass windows are figured like the tops but are washed out with sunlight coming through them. Should I continue with the completion of the stained glass down those windows?
maybe I need Something of a cooler color to draw the eye to? Even the carpet is beige.
Critique away! You won't hurt my feelings.
I didn't like the light blue casting from the windows on the pews. I felt it to be an optical trick by the camera's lens. Should i go back and add it?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: Sanctuary #4

Maybe it was from the camera lens...maybe not! but the blue/violet is a good contrast to the reddy browns!
This is looking really good!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

You're off to a really great start with this.
The architecture and design of this reminds me of the church I grew up in. And, if memory serves, light would reflect and puddle on the pews very much like your ref photo. I think adding it back in will help push the feeling of *brightness* and *light* in the space and, as Lynette says, offer some variation for all the brown/orange going on.

I'd also really work on the shadows at this point. Get them nice and cool and deep so the lightness of the windows and the warmth of the wood have something to contrast with.

Looking forward to your next update.
Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Last edited by TessDB : 01-04-2013 at 07:46 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Nice start. I love architectural pieces. There is something about buildings that are beautiful. This is a nice piece, very warm with the wood and sunshine. Looking forward to updates!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Immortalized

Beautiful work - Great start!

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

rosemary has some very good tips for you. right now there's not much contrast. i'd push the high lights and shadows. working with warms and cools more with create the feeeling of the cool interior and bright sunlight. i'd also really bump the colors in your windows. this will push the feeling of sunlight and warmth coming thru the windows. really pay attention to the different colors and tones in the pews. right now it looks like you're heading in a direction where they're all pretty much the same.

the only thing that really bothers me is the first brick panel on our left.because of the direction of your strokes it lookes like it's coming out into the room. it also might help that feeling if you left out what ever is in front of the pulpit so you could see the angle of the wall meeting the floor.

i think it's going to be a beautiful piece. anxious to see some updates.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 AM

Here is the blue violet highlight I started. I had to erase the red/yellow on the pews. I bought an electric Staedler 527 00. I really like it! I saw a review online from a pro artist. He compared the cheap battery ones through the rechargeables to the electrics. Fascinating.

I will work more on the shadows and highlights. There are bricks that have been relieved about a half inch on each wall. I'm having trouble with the mortar lines keeping them straight. Better lighting and some magnifying glasses should help.

The item in front of the pulpit is the baptismal font.

Last edited by Neverstsfyd : 01-06-2013 at 02:51 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM

Some more work. I took out the baptismal font. The existing carpet is beige and maroon. What do you think of a seafoam green carpet? Just to set the reddish browns off.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Immortalized

Outstanding work - this project would be overwhelming for me - you have courage!

Paintings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/safari_jane/
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast
Germany

Wow, it's coming along very nicely! I could imagine a seafoam green carpet, if you would like to have a bold and bright piece.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Baldwinsville, New York (upstate)

Hails from United States

Coming along very nicely. I think you have done well in capturing the photo.
Very nice!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

Beautifully captured and I particularly love the reflections of the stained glass on the Pew backs you have done a superb job with a very tricky composition and I agree that a seafoam floor would work very nicely and complete a vibrant piece.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Atlanta, GA

Hails from United States

This is a workshop for colorists, thanks for sharing. Coming along just great. Love all the textures you are creating.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Texas

Hails from United States

I love the light reflecting from the pews. It looks great in your painting. I don't know about the carpet color. I always have trouble imagining what colors will look like next to each other. Maybe you could color a small piece of paper and hold it up against the picture to see how it would look. This looks like a real challenging reference photo and you are doing wonderfully! Suzanne
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 AM

Thank you all! I did the colored paper aphid dew, and decided to try the ~yech~ beige first. I can always add the green. Some more value to the shadows, more detail and value to the pews, a little sunshine coming in on the right angled bricks next to the windows. I need some more light color on the mortar in between the bricks but white won't work, too much pencil already on them. I'm afraid to try and scratch it in. Any suggestions?