We are trying a slightly different approach to this monthly challenge, instead of always using a photographic reference.
We have already tried a 'theme' of Sunrises and Sunsets
, where particpants could choose their own reference, with a couple of photos give to suggest ideas.
This seemed to be popular and so a host may also suggest a 'theme' for a month's challenge and supply one or two refs. to support the choice.
For example, themes might be:
- A Winter Sky (or summer, spring, autumn, storm, rain etc).
- Seaside; Lake vista; Mountainous country; Rural Landscape; Townscape; Village ... etc
- Figures: Children playing; Groups; Individuals; Dancers;
- Portraits: Children; Adults; animals
- Wildlife - in the wild or domestic
- Still Life - a wide and varied genre!
- A descriptive text explaining a reference you have shosen but which remains hidden from the participants until the 'reveal date'. Your text would describe your ref. as closely as possible to give people a mental image and verbal 'facts' from which to work. The type of image could be anything of your choice!
- Any other theme!
.............. extended from December - Gaykir - Working from written description.
.......... Lady Carol
...... Idylbrush (Howard)
........... Noodle1 (Elaine)
........... Chammi Kaiser ............ (Wildlife)
............... Charlie's Mum (Maureen)
Please roll up and add your name and I'll try to keep the opening post edited with the updates
If you do host, would you please check the most recent (say 6 months worth) of DS in the Information Kiosk so we don't use images (or similar ones) too close together?
Index of all past Different Strokes.
Images can come from anywhere if copyright free
Your own are great, but the RIL is a vast resource too and images there are freely available for our use.
NB - If you do use a different source, e.g. flikr or Photobucket or elsewhere, please make sure you have permission to use the reference -the copyright lies with the owner.
Some people already know the theme they'd like to use but you do not need to choose one until your time of hosting
Previous Schedule for 2011 and 2012 is here
When you host, your invitation thread should include your own text but also the following -
- All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.
- Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!
- Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere - the RIL e.g.
- A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers