WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States
The CP Monthly Challenge is taking a break

Hello Everyone!

It's a brand new year and time to make some changes. For now, the Monthly Challenge will be taking a break. I haven't been able to give it as much time as I would like. And it feels like it's gotten repetitive.

So.

The plan for now is to let it take a rest. We'll be collecting ideas for ways to make the challenge fresh, interesting, and actually challenging when we bring it back.

Rosemary & the rest of the CP Team

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast
N.S.W

Hails from Australia
Re: The CP Monthly Challenge is taking a break

Thanks Rosemary & the rest of the CP Team for all your time and effort in organising this for everyone to join in on. I know I didn't get around to giving a challenge a go but I sure enjoyed see every ones results.

Would you like any of us to offer any suggestions for further challenges for when they are ready to start up again?

Thanks again

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Sure!
If anyone has ideas or suggestions, feel free to send me a pm.
Just keep in mind that at this point we won't be starting up a new version of the challenge too soon.

Rosemary

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hi Rosemary,

As an alternative to the monthly challenge, why not give contributors a word or emotion to create an image rather than providing images for them. Let contributors submit their drawings on greed, jealousy, capitalism, fiscal cliff, fruit, lotto......whatever! Just thought I'd offer a suggestion as it would be a shame not to keep it going in some format.

Cheers,
Hal
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Rosemary,

Thank you so much for providing this opportunity. Over the past year I have completed several of the challenges. They encouraged me to "paint" images that I wouldn't ordinarily have picked and gave me courage to try a variety of subjects. They came at the perfect time: I was relatively new at colored pencil and this gave me lots of opportunity to practice techniques. I'll always be grateful for these experiences.

While I will miss the challenges, I am going to use this as an excuse/motivation for challenging myself in my work. I think I'm ready for that, and I'll continue to share my art. I always appreciate the feedback and suggestions I receive.

Once again, thank you so much for hosting these challenges.

Linda
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi, Hal--
Thanks for your idea.

Linda--
Glad the challenge helped you!

If anyone else has ideas, please send them in a PM.
thanks!

Rosemary

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM
kelowna b.c.

Hails from Canada

That is a great idea Hal, let's do it. kas
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

I've made note of Hal's idea-- and it's one the cp team will consider seriously.

Once we've got the time to launch a project or ongoing challenge, that is.

Rosemary

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Hi, Rosemary: While I will miss your references each month (even when I didn't try them), I know how difficult it must be to find picture references and topics of general interest, especially that would challenge all levels of talent. I took the many lessons I learned in CP and applied them to other mediums and most were tidbits I learned from you that I never got from paid instructors. You have such a wealth of knowledge to share and are a fine teacher so I hope we can, collectively, come up with a solution to keep learning from you.

One approach would be to allow the members to find their own references based on a set subject material, i.e., Spring, harvest, sunsets, a pond, a barn - simple but definitive subject material. It might be fun for members to find their own references and include them with their pieces, too. Or, and I find this one more beneficial, we could all work on a different component of "painting" from our references, i.e., exhibit distance, reflections, fur or hair, etc.

You have too many lessons left to offer and I'm very much in need. Just lead the way!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Awww... thank you so much, Janet.

Rosemary

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Baldwinsville, New York (upstate)

Hails from United States

Maybe if you only choose one great picture a month, and everyone works on the same thing. It is amazing how totally different each will look.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Thanks for the suggestion, Gale!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Bangalore, India

Hails from India

Hi Rosemary,

Its been a long time since we have exchanged some discussions on CP.

After reading this thread about closing of the monthly challenges, I was really disappointed and felt like something was going away.
It has helped me from the very start of my endeavor in coloured pencil.

My first dive in CP was from the monthly challenges wherein, I've learn't not only to create but also to understand the subject in detail.
My signature shows 3 paintings done with coloured pencil from the monthly challenges.
You have always been a great support in suggestions and appreciations and also a motivator who has helped me in lots of ways.

In my opinion, two pictures every month can be posted for a challenge. One being, simple and the other one complex. By this way, I believe that lots of artists with different caliber may join in.

Waiting eagerly to see it back with new ideas and new ways of coloured pencil.

My Paintings: flickr
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

I'm so glad the challenge helped you, Ritu!

I hope when we get the challenge rolling again it will be just as helpful.

The main issue is time. When I took over doing the challenges (4 years ago!), I had much much more time available than I do now. I was able to coach and demonstrate and help folks along. For the last year and a half or so, I haven't had that kind of time available. There are several people who posted work that needed some help that I simply didn't have the time to give.

So it isn't just about selecting fewer refs. It's also figuring out a way to make the challenges a good educational tool for the participants and something that the leader can easily handle, too.

Rosemary

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 AM

Hails from South Africa

O goodness, yes, time is always an issue, especially since we cannot simply walk into a shop and buy half a pound of time!! I, for one, seldom have time to take part in challenges, but I always dropped in to see everyones work and ideas. How about letting other people host a monthly CP challenge as they do in the Different Strokes Forum? For a particular month, the host can then also give some advice to the participants if they asked for it? Just an idea. Thank you for all the time you have devoted to this challenge.
Kind regards,
Charri