WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Immortalized
near Frankfurt in Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Portrait underdrawing?

George, so many thanks for these kind words. This piece falls into the category 'having started with no real plan and see where it got me into'. I am really struggling to get fine tonal values in this drawing. On the very white Bristol carton I am using (Lana 113 lbs), I am having a hard time to get the tonal values i want without pressing too hard and then I end up with 'blotches' vs smooth, varied transitions. Adding to that I am still far from the point where I would feel comfortable with a given set of colours so I end up using whatever 'looks right' and then run the risk of not achieving the value/hue I want and more often that not produce some 'mud'. I know, learning curve, still it is a struggle. Pushing back the colours behind the glasses is a challenge to put it mildly. I graphite it is soo much easier. I will try running the risk to fail. But this was really never meant as 'real work', just a starting point.

clydeine, you are far too kind for such a cp beginner's first try. As for the corners of the mouth. I once read that even the deepest shadows have colour and here it is the fleshy part of the corners of the mouth which are not black, though it is tempting to declare them such. I hope you won't be disappointed as I go along. Since it is a 'practice piece' it might turn south at any given moment. I keep my fingers crossed though.

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

I cant be disappointed, this is so wonderful and I was not being as kind as honest. I love your work as I love George's and many others. My going by the seat of my pants never come out as nice as this.
I will definately be following this.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Most all of my portraits are in that smooth range with hints of texture similar to what you have going on here, being set with specific colors it took many portraits to narrow it down to the absolute essentials but looking back at older work I do miss some of the crazy combinations I used back then. When I have to push the paintings out and get on with the next piece I loose a lot of freedom quite often but I am satisfied with the results.

I wanted to mention this about eye glasses but not sure how to word it...I'll give it it a go though. In this piece as it is, the glasses just seem to float on the subjects face along with no realization of glass inside the frames. I see a hint of reflection in the right of the frame and that sets nicely on the outside of the glasses. Also some of the shadows that the glasses cast could stand to be a bit darker but that will have to come later when you start to hone in on the completion of the piece. The part of the glasses that troubles me most at this stage is where the glasses set on the nose, I'm thinking that there may be a shadow or darker value that could really fulminate the nose and the glasses and really bring them out...as it is there is no depth. With that said I know this is far from done but wanted let you know what I was seeing in the piece. One more thing that probably is no big deal but the glasses seem to be a bit to far left...but that could be an optical illusion.

Anyway this has been a really great to watch come together and seeing how you dealt with you struggles and successes...and one more thing, I find it to be the opposite with graphite and color pencil...I can get away with a lot more with color than I could ever do with graphite. Great piece

Portraity
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

clydeine, so many thanks again.

George, I thank you so much for your valuable suggestions. I fully understand what you say. Although the lenses themselves don't have any reflection in the reference I will put some in just to see if this will help.

As you said, this is still in the earlier stages of an unplanned project. I agree fully with you about the glasses. The reason I did a first colour layer is that the colour of the glasses dominate rather strongy the face. I wanted to at least have an idea how the glasses would interact with the rest. The shading, so that the glasses don't seem to be painted on, are sorely missing and I will address this as I go along. The problem I am having is that I am concentrating very strongly on likeness in cp and on finding the 'right' colours. I think I have more or less found the base from which I now can start with the fun part of bringing in structure, believability and values/form.

I agree with you that the glasses seem to be a tad 'visually leaning to one side'. This is caused by the fact that I still need to address the areas round and to the side of the face (ears, hair, etc.) As I said, I did not think that this 'underdrawing drawing' woulod proceed that far.

Maybe I am more comfortable with graphite since this is what I was working with exclusively in all of my years of learning. Maybe, with time, practice and experience, I might come closer to understanding cp and colour in general. We'll see.

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

I haven't visited WC in 4 or 5 years, and here you are ... still the best!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Cathie, you are so very kind. I am still recouperating from my blushing. Thanks so much, but I am but a newbie with cps.

Guys, I just couldn't resist sharing this little progress with you. I tried to bring out more values especially around the glasses, put a reflection into our left lens and just took out my better camera for this shot instead of my scanner. I have to say that this version comes so much closer to what is on my easel.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Just in case there were still interest.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Wow. So much personality coming through. I think it's wonderful.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 AM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Loving this come together. The hair is looking so good! She looks like she has a great sense of humour!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

This is looking simply fantastic!
Vena
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Hails from United States

Wonderful, have really enjoyed watching the progression. Looking forward to the finish...
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Absolutely wonderful, love the little reflections and enhancements to the glasses, subtle but powerful. The color usage in the hair is very nicely done.

Portraity
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Dear friends, sorry for being so AWOL. Scarlet fever is no fun in one's grandchild. Seems to be o.k. now.

Many thanks for all of your kind comments. It helps a lot along the slow and difficult process of cp.

Cheers , Reinhard
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Queensland

Hails from Australia

I've only just come to seeing this post and as someone who'd love to try a portrait in cp one day I've thoroughly enjoyed and valued this process you're sharing with us. I love what you've done so far and you skill in doing hair is fantastic.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

brissie, thanks so much for your kind words.

Guys, I am still at it. Not finished by far. I continue to work all over the place. So many things to adjust, dapt, correct, deepen ........

This is where I am.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard