WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Immortalized
near Frankfurt in Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Portrait underdrawing?

Lynette, many thanks for the kind words. As I said, I feel that the colours, at this stage at least, are a bit too 'sweet'. Time/practice/frustration/patience .... will tell.

George, isn't that ever true! People regard watercolour in the same way. I am not really sure that it is the brand of the pencil that makes the difference but the hand who uses them. I am a real cp beginner. As for black, I am experimeting with it since, when looking at the Pantone colours, I see that in CYMK black is a very important component in colour mixing - and it takes away that 'candy colour look'. But as I said, I am a beginner and I am exprimenting.

When working in graphite I tend to draw all over the picture but here, I am still testing square inch by square inch which colour combinations might give me the skin tone(s) I am striving for. Should I stay long enough with cp I hope to - one day - be able to do what you say.

Thanks for the kind comment.

Candle, thanks so much. My experience is exclusively with graphite as well. This is my first real piece and I am learning all over the place.

Suzanne, many thanks.

Trudi, thank you so much.

And a very happy and successful 2013 to all of you/us out there in art-land.

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Cambridgeshire

Hails from United Kingdom

I hope Reinhard that you do persevere with Colour Pencil as it is clear to me that although it is a steep learning curve you have an amazing talent and I think are getting to grips with the different experiments very quickly.
There is an awesome amount of material here in the Library and the general passed forum threads but I do believe that each of us finds our own path. I truly look forward to seeing the updates on this portrait and I really hope you stick with the colour.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Jazz, so many thanks. Well, I couldn't abandon ship right at my first piece, could I? There is so much I still have to read, absorb, practice .....

Just to show my continuation.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

your talent is evident, as is your background in graphite. i'm like some of the others in that i don't use any blacks or greys in my skin tones. i have used a peach as an all over underpainting and then fought with it the rest of my portrait. i like to work in complementaries. if i want a warm orangey skintone i use blues in my shadows. lavenders and purples if i'm going more yellow. etc. i stay away from green unless i'm wanting the wan look you get with it to make a statement about my subject.

granted my work in portraits this past year has been in pastels. but i do have a couple portraits in cp. 'eve' and 'ophelia' if you want to see my appraoch.

good luck. you're off to a great start.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulalee

granted my work in portraits this past year has been in pastels. but i do have a couple portraits in cp. 'eve' and 'ophelia' if you want to see my appraoch.

good luck. you're off to a great start.

Paula, not sure how I missed the piece 'Ophelia' but would be a perfect example in when to use the color yellow in a portrait. When there is direct sunlight on a subject it makes all the sense to use yellows.

Reinhard, this piece is coming along very nicely, love how you are taking on the hair, it gives the piece an overall depth to it and brings out even more details.

Looking forward to seeing how you manage the mouth...

Portraity
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Paula, thanks for your comment and help. I was looking at Ophelia. Great work. I still have a long way to go for sure.
Why do I experiment with black in colour mixing? My reasoning is since CYMK- colour mixing includes black to produce shades of given colours, I thought to try this with cp as well. I would really like to draw more with complementary colours but unfortunately Faber-Castell seem to be incapable of producing a colour wheel with their pencils. So it is always a guessing game and with my limited experience with cp at this stage I more often lose than win. That is why I am contemplating to producing my own colour wheel using Photoshop and the Pantone colour range incorporated into the RealColorWheel for a better understanding. Let's see if this might help me better.

p.s. Where do you see my background in graphite? Is it my striving for realism?

George, many thanks, and yes, I am looking forward to the mouth as well. The slight ivory touch of the teeth will be 'fun', aggrevated that I need to have the area under the upper lip slightly darker - and I need to see how I can shape the teeth with tonal variations. As I said, fun.

Cheers , Reinhard
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Columbus, Ohio

Hails from United States

reinhard,

my color wheel work goes back to a great art teacher i had in high school (about 600 years ago!). she would have us paint an entire picture just using 2 complementary colors. it taught me to see the complementaries everywhere. and i think it makes for a very dynamic work. that bossy old woman taught me so much- one of her projects was a still life of a black egg in a black bowl against a black background. she handed us a black piece of paper and a piece of white chalk- and no edges allowed!

one of the things i do with my portraits is to load my ref on my laptop and bump the saturation. then i can "see" the colors better. i get a better feel for what color that shadow really is, etc.

i only ever use black for pupils or maybe some in hair if my subject has black hair. once again it goes back to my crazy teacher who refused to allow us to use black or white in our paintings- since "nothing in real life was black or white".

the theory behind creating art is always the same- ie. compostion, shadow, contrast, color, etc. but how you use the medium is different. you can't use cp like you used your graphite. i guess what i'm trying to say is the colors just mix differently in with different pencils. blue layered over yellow doesn't always produce green because of the properties of the individual pencils. it's always good to test layering on the edge of your paper to see how they are going to react together.

i love the realism. yes, i see your graphite background there, your style is recognizable- it looks like your work. i also see it in your use of black in your skin tones.

i think you're off to a great start. keep playing! hope something i said here helps.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Paula,
thanks so much for your kind answer, help and your kind words. I am still learning VERY much and will want to tone down my colours via ultramarine and bistre. Seems to work to a degree. I will want to stay away from the black egg on the black background though.

I couldn't leave the piece alone and dabbled on. George wanted to see how I tackled the mouth and I did not want to disappoint him. So here is where I am at the moment. I hope that the modelling (sp?) of the chin will help and improve the overall impression. Everything to have an excuse to not start with the brushes. Scared like whatever.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

This is amazing so far. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Vena
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Well you certainly did not disappoint, absolutely wonderfully done...the teeth are very well rendered.

The hardest part of most portraits is the corners of the mouth...it seems you have a pretty good handle on that with this piece.

Really liking how you are doing the hair, I may have to try this method of individual hairs...

Absolutely beautiful...

Portraity
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Vena, many thanks.

Sorry for the re-post but the original picture was too blandly washed out.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

I am loving your progress on this portrait Reinhard!
Can't wait to see next steps.
Your execution of the mouth is fabulous.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Germany

Lynette, many thanks for these kind words.

For whoever is still interested, this is the present stage.
Attached Images

Cheers , Reinhard
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Your use of color is well displaced amongst the piece, nice. Most portrait artists I know dislike a portrait that has eye glasses involved, me on the other hand love the obscurity that comes with them. Looking forward to seeing how you finish off the glasses and really bring them out amongst the face...this is coming along very nicely.

Portraity
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Ok where in the world have I been?? How did I miss this wonderful piece. It's been wonderful reading all the comments. It blows my mind how you have approached the skin tones. Like George, I do the whole face at once. I am not sure I could get the skin tones so nice and even like you have done. The mouth and teeth are great. I like the way you showed softly the inner part of the cheek in the corner of the mouth. I also like the glasses and how you did the area in and around the glasses. It's my experience that it's not easy to put glasses on a portrait.

Ok everyone.. move over I need a seat to watch this one.