WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Dick Blick

Been noticing that different paints are being recommended recently. It occurred to me that I never see the Blick brand recommended. Does no one here use it? Has anyone had experience with it? I read that half their paints were one pigment, the others are a mix.
Ella
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States
Re: Dick Blick

I have tired there paints and found them no better or worst then any other brand. If you can buy them on sale as I did, they can be a good deal.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM

I've tried of the Dick Blick oil colors and they were very satisfactory. They have a few unique combo-colors, e.g., "warm gray."

The reviews from customers (on the DB site) seem legit (some reviews with poor ratings), so you could check those out. Nothing like trying a few tubes for yourself.

I wonder who makes their line of oil paints...?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

I've heard that one of the big brands (European) makes Blicks, but for the life of me I can't remember who it is.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Enthusiast
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth
I've tried of the Dick Blick oil colors and they were very satisfactory. They have a few unique combo-colors, e.g., "warm gray."

The reviews from customers (on the DB site) seem legit (some reviews with poor ratings), so you could check those out. Nothing like trying a few tubes for yourself.

I wonder who makes their line of oil paints...?

I believe it's Sennelier.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Yeah, I think it's Sennelier; the color names are identical on some of the tubes.

I've used the Blick paints and they're fine. If you like the price, go for it!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:31 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

yes it is sennelier, you can title search "blick oil" in this forum and get three previous threads.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 AM
plog

compare the color swatches of sennelier and blick and you will see they didn't even do different sets of swatches for them
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM

So when you buy oils are you more concerned with price, quality or the combination of the two? My real question is which oil paints are recommended according to price point?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Upstate NY

Hails from United States

I buy oils based on how they interact with other oils: that I like the colors they make when mixed. I've discovered my palette revolves around yellows, so I've more of them. Then, quality and price. I can't afford $40-50-plus tubes, but I want good quality. I like in no particular order Windsor & Newton Artist (and I'm finishing out the Winton's), Gamblin, Rubelov, Utrecht Artist.

Oh, just to add since I've mentioned the yellows, W&N Artists transparent yellow #653 is a fabulous yellow. Doesn't look like much straight out of the tube, kinda blah, but man what a color and does it mix. It's on the higher end price wise, but worth it. Thanks to Bill Martin for mentioning it in one of his posts.

Last edited by libby2 : 11-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakker0117
So when you buy oils are you more concerned with price, quality or the combination of the two? My real question is which oil paints are recommended according to price point?

Neither. Do I like the color - that's the only question that matters. If it's artist quality - any brand - that's good enough for me.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Northern Illinois, USA

Dick Blick has two grades of oil paint: a student grade oil color and artist’s grade. The student grade is called Blick Oil Colors. The artist grade is called Blick Artist Oil Colors and is the one made by Sennelier.

I got a set of Blick Artist Oil Colors for Christmas a couple of years ago. They are thick, stiff paints—which I like. You can get smooth paint layers with them, but they aren’t creamy out of the tube.

I think most are ground in safflower oil which yellows less than linseed and takes longer to dry. Some of them are mixtures, some are not, but many people don’t mind mixtures. After all, most of the paint that actually goes on a canvas is a mixture. The only difference is that you mixed it yourself.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 PM

Thumbs up Re: Dick Blick

Was curious about this. Thanks!